Would I classify ____________ as water?

Options

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    If you choose to use the water counter as a pure exercise in measuring only pure water, fine. But that's not the only way to get proper hydration into your body, and someone who uses it to count milk, coffee, soda, etc are (as long as they are also counting any calories that come in their liquids) using it just as "properly" as you are.

WRONG. because those items do not come close to hydrating as well as water does, if at all. that's why its a "water tracker". not a "liquids tracker".

How do you work that one out?. Seems like the Mayo clinic and other respected establishments of that ilk thing its RIGHT.

i would like to see your links to reference.

i work in the healthcare industry, and coffee/soda/milk are hardly ever credited as towards your daily water requirements within the healthcare community (i've never even heard of it). milk is actually usually classified as a food because of the digestive properties. sodas can actually dehydrate you based on if it is high in sugar, and a person's individual tolerance to it. processing sugar requires more time and also requires water to be diverted away from other parts of the body in order to digest it properly and leaves you more thirsty. so, i wouldn't necessarily call it a great "hydrator". even many sports drinks are just as high in sugar content as non-diet sodas.

if someone wants to count diet soda, [herbal] teas, light-brew coffee and low calorie sports drinks/ect as "water", then that's their choice. i personally would never, and i was responding to the OP as such.

if someone wants to go as far as counting a high caffeine drink, milk, or full sugar soda as water, i'm sorry but i simply call that utterly ridiculous and stupid.

If you ever worked in a hospital you would know that all liquids ingested are counted towards the fluid balance record that is kept for patients. This would include soup, juice, coffee, tea, milk and even jello.

If you want to go by your previous comparison, two types of meat are obviously not exactly the same but both would count towards your protein intake even if the calories are not the same. Likewise, both milk and water can count towards your hydration.

Here's your link for Mayo clinic
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
    Some more you might find interesting:

http://www.jacn.org/content/22/2/165.short

http://www.jacn.org/content/19/5/591.short

http://bjsportmed.com/content/40/5/406.abstract (sports drinks might actually be more effective than plain water)

http://www.jacn.org/content/26/suppl_5/592S.short (food counts too)

About the effect of caffeine:

http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/12187618/

http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/12834577
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you choose to use the water counter as a pure exercise in measuring only pure water, fine. But that's not the only way to get proper hydration into your body, and someone who uses it to count milk, coffee, soda, etc are (as long as they are also counting any calories that come in their liquids) using it just as "properly" as you are.

WRONG. because those items do not come close to hydrating as well as water does, if at all. that's why its a "water tracker". not a "liquids tracker".

How do you work that one out?. Seems like the Mayo clinic and other respected establishments of that ilk thing its RIGHT.

i work in the healthcare industry, and coffee/soda/milk are hardly ever credited as towards your daily water requirements within the healthcare community (i've never even heard of it). milk is actually usually classified as a food because of the digestive properties. sodas can actually dehydrate you based on if it is high in sugar, and a person's individual tolerance to it. processing sugar requires more time and also requires water to be diverted away from other parts of the body in order to digest it properly and leaves you more thirsty. so, i wouldn't necessarily call it a great "hydrator". even many sports drinks are just as high in sugar content as non-diet sodas.

if someone wants to count diet soda, [herbal] teas, light-brew coffee and low calorie sports drinks/ect as "water", then that's their choice. i personally would never, and i was responding to the OP as such.

if someone wants to go as far as counting a high caffeine drink, milk, or full sugar soda as water, i'm sorry but i simply call that utterly ridiculous and stupid.

Looks like a bunch of folks answered the question. You responded to a prior post as wrong. Well, if you look at all the studies, they were not wrong, unless you would like to provide some actual reputable sources that says otherwise.

How about you call the mayo clinic and call them utterly ridiculous and stupid?
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options

We all know if you don't log it as water, your body will surely not use the water content to hydrate itself...right? :huh:
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

If you ever worked in a hospital you would know that all liquids ingested are counted towards the fluid balance record that is kept for patients. This would include soup, juice, coffee, tea, milk and even jello.

If you want to go by your previous comparison, two types of meat are obviously not exactly the same but both would count towards your protein intake even if the calories are not the same. Likewise, both milk and water can count towards your hydration.

yes, i am aware that everything a patient ingests is logged.

if you want to use your "water tracker" as a "fluids tracker" instead, by all means go right ahead. but if it was mfp's intent to have its participants be concerned only with how much fluid they're ingesting rather than how much water they're ingesting, wouldn't you think that would be evident?

this is a diet and fitness website, not a hospital. if you want to log something that isn't water as water, then that's your choice. but as someone else on here already said, its usually those people that then complain that they're not getting the results they want.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    if you log your coffee or diet coke as water, then i'm logging vodka as water.

only fair.

And....time for the obtuse 'funny' comments.

I like to think of my type of humor as being acute. (But it still isn't right.)

I love oblique references to math!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    if you want to use your "water tracker" as a "fluids tracker" instead, by all means go right ahead. but if it was mfp's intent to have its participants be concerned only with how much fluid they're ingesting rather than how much water they're ingesting, wouldn't you think that would be evident?

Water trackers are there to assist in reaching proper hydration. As someone who works for the health care industry, I'd think you at least would find that self-evident, and tend to use it in the same way you use similar logs with your patients at work, or at least accept that others might use it in a similar manner.

If someone is not getting the results they want, fine. But calling other people "WRONG", "foolish", "stupid" and the other various judgemental comments you've made about others who are staying hydrated quite successfully is simply not helpful. If it's used as a hydration tracker, it's being used by people to further a healthy lifestyle. Being nasty and snarky because you feel that a water tracker is for a very specific (and honestly useless!) purpose just makes you look nasty and snarky.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

this is a diet and fitness website, not a hospital. if you want to log something that isn't water as water, then that's your choice. but as someone else on here already said, its usually those people that then complain that they're not getting the results they want.

I think you were the one that first mentioned the healthcare industry as a reference to back up your point, hence my comment about hospitals.

You also asked for the Mayo clinic reference regarding counting counting other fluids as water which I provided for you. I'm still waiting for a reference to your statement that other liquids don't hydrate as well as water.

Liquids that contain water can be counted as water whether for general fitness and health or for sick patients.

Count whatever makes you happy for water. My point is that if contains water, your body counts it as water.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

I think you were the one that first mentioned the healthcare industry as a reference to back up your point, hence my comment about hospitals.

You also asked for the Mayo clinic reference regarding counting counting other fluids as water which I provided for you. I'm still waiting for a reference to your statement that other liquids don't hydrate as well as water.

Liquids that contain water can be counted as water whether for general fitness and health or for sick patients.

Count whatever makes you happy for water. My point is that if contains water, your body counts it as water.

no, i wasn't. it was someone who started throwing the words "Mayo Clinic" around that started that.

and as i've said, if you want to use your water tracker as a fluids tracker instead, then fine! my whole point was that logging EVERYTHING towards water, be it soup/coffee/tea/soda, is most likely not going to give you the hydration you're needing if you're counting each 8 oz as 8 oz of "water". even the Mayo Clinic, in their all mighty powerful article that so many people have thrown around on here, clearly state that. if you're not drinking any water, yet think you're reaching your 8x8 through soup/coffee/soda/milk, then you're sadly mistaken.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would just like to add......I am by day a chemical engineer who specializes in high-purity water treatment. The stuff used for electronics manufacturing and power plant high-pressure boilers. Nothing that you drink is pure water. It's not even close. If you really drank 8-glasses of high purity water a day you would get diarrhea from it. High purity water is unstable, and needs the "contamination" of various salts and minerals to make it safe to drink.

So all you water purists, guess what? Your water isn't THAT much more pure than other liquids.

Just sayin'.

(P.S. I feel like a massive douche for dropping credentials, but so be it.)
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

no, i wasn't. it was someone who started throwing the words "Mayo Clinic" around that started that.

and as i've said, if you want to use your water tracker as a fluids tracker instead, then fine! my whole point was that logging EVERYTHING towards water, be it soup/coffee/tea/soda, is most likely not going to give you the hydration you're needing if you're counting each 8 oz as 8 oz of "water". even the Mayo Clinic, in their all mighty powerful article that so many people have thrown around on here, clearly state that. if you're not drinking any water, yet think you're reaching your 8x8 through soup/coffee/soda/milk, then you're sadly mistaken.

Still not sure why you think fluids that contain water cannot hydrate you as well as "plain" water.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    if you log your coffee or diet coke as water, then i'm logging vodka as water.

only fair.

And....time for the obtuse 'funny' comments.

I like to think of my type of humor as being acute. (But it still isn't right.)

I love oblique references to math!

And I love that at least two people got (at least half of) my "joke". I am so jaded about the MFP forums in general that I expected it to be completely wasted. My faith has been (partially) restored.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Oh, the 8x8 myth?

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.short
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
  • Chopper88
    Options
    Water. That's the only correct answer to that question. Just get it in. You can do it.
  • mitzhogue
    mitzhogue Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    seems like all the forums today are oddly hostile... so weird.

by hostile i mean argumentative... with a slightly demeaning tone.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    seems like all the forums today are oddly hostile... so weird.

Debunking CW/broscience with actual facts is often mistaken for hostility.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options

You are quite sadly mistaken on more points than I can even begin to address....but the cutest one is how you think we must ingest plain water in order to lose weight...or we just won't get our results, oh noes! Get a clue.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Why do you not seem to comprehend this. There have been a plethora of links showing that yes, your can use anything that hydrates you to, well, hydrate you.

And someone has already picked up on the 8x8 comment so I won't even go there.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Why do you not seem to comprehend this. There have been a plethora of links showing that yes, your can use anything that hydrates you to, well, hydrate you.

And someone has already picked up on the 8x8 comment so I won't even go there.

I like square numbers too. They're better than regular numbers ^2.
  • nmwhitney12
    nmwhitney12 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    JUST STOP ALL THE ANGER!!!! LOL
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you can log beer as water.