Shocked by the calorie content

Options

Replies

• cautwell
    cautwell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Madeline's cookies 1 cookie = Calories: 130, Fat: 7g, Carbs: 14g, Protein: 1g
    Golden Butter Madeleines are baked into a delicate seashell shape and have a tender moist flavor. YUM!!

THIS!!!! omg I loooove these cookies
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    A small DQ vanilla cone. I can't remember what the calories are, but its really high. I can have a 1/2 cup of vanilla ice cream at home for 120, what makes soft serve so dang high in calories?
  • jdennisj
    Options
    Post Grape Nut Flakes are only 110 for 3/4 cup.
  • SunShineBeastess
    SunShineBeastess Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Premade chicken salad...OMG 1 cup = 550 calories with no breade or crackers. :angry:
  • cautwell
    cautwell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Post Grape Nut Flakes are only 110 for 3/4 cup.

I eat this a lot, I just add a tiny dribble of honey for sweetness. I can't let go of my cereal!!
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    A small DQ vanilla cone. I can't remember what the calories are, but its really high. I can have a 1/2 cup of vanilla ice cream at home for 120, what makes soft serve so dang high in calories?

I bet the cone comes close to 100 cals
  • DMTHope
    Options
    Grilled shrimp salad 700 calories...never again!
  • nikkinoonarr
    Options
    Raisins.
    Thought process: "They're like elderly grapes, how many calories can they be?"
    Nearly 500 calories a cup.

NO WAY! The crinklies are that much! OMFG! No wonder we all need to loose weight!

For me it was cereal! if one portion is 30g and 30g is like just over a measly spoonful why do they make the cereal bowls so blooming big! I've had many a problem thinking my food scales had broken!
  • angelmma
    angelmma Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't go out very often, but I used to like having a drink on a sat night, and get a takeaway and DVD. I wouldve drank rose wine mixed with west coast cooler, until I counted that it was nearly 1400 calories and I tend to snack if I drink wine and would easily polish off a bag of Doritos, pizza and chocolate so now I've decided I'm not drinking unless I go out, cause when I go out I don't eat and only drink vodka with diet soda so I know it's not too bad and I'll goto the gym for a few hours that day. I still have chocolate etc but I'll have a low cal one. I stay away from cereal all together now too cause it's not as healthy as it seems :(
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. Picked up a food scale last week... Made a sammie this morning for work. Thought I would add a small amount of peanut butter as I was going to weigh it - over two hundred calories in peanut butter! 90 calories a tablespoon? Me and my new food scale are going to do a lot of falling out. We already have a nasty disagreement about what an ounce of cheese looks like...

I love your sense of humour! Yes, indeed measuring brings a lot of things to light. My hubby eats a large jar of peanut butter a week and cant figure out why he isn't losing weight..
  • xElineeee
    xElineeee Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Iced Coffees!! The ones I have to make in the restaurant I work at are soooo bad and you see all these girls coming there with a big but healthy salad and an ice coffee. I always want to warn them so badly :')
  • lilteepot
    Options
    Wow... one of the most useful MFP threads yet - and all without nekkid pics, rating people or guessing what they do for a living!

^This.
  • joy5877
    joy5877 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I was so shocked when I learned this myself - even the light dressing is high!
    Olive Garden salad and breadsticks. You can do more hurt with those than you can with the meal.
    [/quote]
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Cereal.... I discovered that 100 grams is 400-something kcalories - and that a portion is 40 grams? Yikes... i bet I had 120 grams... sometimes two servings with 120 grams each...
    Bearnaise sauce...
    Various coffee drinks...
    Bread/rolls/wraps/and so on...

Actually, I kinda knew that they were fattening - I just didn't know what a proper portion was!
    No wonder I got fat....
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Every workday, I would take a walk over to Dunkin Donuts and get my large iced coffee with caramel and cream. 350 calories!!! And this was 4 times a week! When I started MFP, I started ordering my iced coffee black and would pour a Slim Fast shake into it for the cream and flavor affect for under 200 calories. Now that pumpkin flavor is back at DD, I specifically order it with only one pump of the pumpkin flavor and skim milk and now it is about 135 calories. But I do watch them to make sure they don't put 4 squirts of that delicious, liquid, pumpkin, sugar, flavor in there...the girl accidentally did that once, saw me watching her, and made a new one.
  • lettie1955
    Options
    Any salad at a fast food place...might just as well be eating the cheeseburger and fries, lol.

McDonald's Premium Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad, 290 calories, Paul Newman Southwest Dressing, 100 calories total = 390. (14g fat, saturated fat .7 g)

Hamburger, 250, small french fries, 230 total = 480 (20 g fat, 5 grams saturated)
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I don't even like Dorito's but we had a couple bags at work that were given out for something....I mindlessly snacked on a bag while sitting at my desk working thinking that it was a portioned bag and only 150 cals so whatever...THEN I RE-READ the label that there were 3.5 servings in the bag! 525 calories in a 3.5 ounce bag of chips I don't even really like! I mean, I know Doritos and chips are not GOOD for you but that is more calories than I have for dinner! Since I rarely eat chips this was a shock to me.
  • lettie1955
    Options
    Any salad at a fast food place...might just as well be eating the cheeseburger and fries, lol.

McDonald's Premium Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad, 290 calories, Paul Newman Southwest Dressing, 100 calories total = 390. (14g fat, saturated fat .7 g)

Hamburger, 250, small french fries, 230 total = 480 (20 g fat, 5 grams saturated)
    Oops, you said cheeseburger., 300 calories, small fries, 230 = 530, (24 g fat, 7 g saturated)
  • MrsDrk
    MrsDrk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash makes my life so happy!!

Cereral makes me cry a little.
  • RichardJWalter
    RichardJWalter Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Orange Juice. Like liquid candy. Haven't drank it in a year...

I do a four-ounce glass of OJ in the morning.; 55 calories. Have you replaced the orange juice with a healthier alternative?

Richard