Shocked by the calorie content

Options

Replies

• desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I work at a bakery, we always look at the calories in new stuff. We are still shocked by honey buns, which are 600 calories.

OMG losing weight and working in a bakery? I wouldn't succeed, I am telling you!

I would like to think I have willpower but I would fold like a paper dam if I was you. I love pastry waaaaaaaaay to much , I would have to quit.

Haha, I'm a savory type person so it's easier. However, there are days where I have to really bring out my try hard face.

I also want to add, I was shocked by trail mix. 1/4c is nearly 200 calories, also...

the pizza place down the street... one slice of pizza is 380 calories.

:'(
  • dallasfloyd
    Options
    Twin Peaks Chicken Fried Steak, and mashed potatoes, green beans, 2000+ cals.. I about feel out of my chair .. They don't even offer of have available the nutrition menu.

Lucky for us I heard a new law is starting to form in a few states where all restaurants will have to post and have available the nutrition info.
  • Jongfaith
    Options
    Onion rings.

I wanted to cry when I realized how much other food I could have instead.
    They are the worst, and i could eat a whole bag
    Try the Hungry Girl recipe for onion rings.. kinda labor intensive but soooo worth it! Because it uses fiber cereal as the breading you get the great full feeling and get regular! :tongue:
  • dkmsindependent
    dkmsindependent Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There are 45 calorie small wraps at Trader Joe's. They are good too :)
  • Jongfaith
    Options
    Ranch Light dressing made me drop.... I ate a healthy salad and was suprised that they only take 1 gram of fat out the ranch dressing. I am starting to think I need to make my own but dont know how.
    found an awesome fat free ranch on pinterest, the packet of seasoning, fat free greek yogurt and skim milk!
  • cblevitron
    Options
    Basically everything on Outback's menu is over 1,200 calories. That was a heartbreaking discovery.
  • Mama_Lyn
    Mama_Lyn Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I second Pop Tarts...220 calories per serving makes me want to cry.

Also, a SMALL caramel frappe from McDonald's (a guilty pleasure) is 450 calories. Yes, 450 for a small.
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The lemoncello cream torte from Cheesecake Factory, 1034 calories . . .

Well, everything from Cheesecake Factory is 800 + calories or more, besides that new "slim" menu they have on there now o-O.
  • cinner506
    Options
    hamburgers!! I almost fell over when i looked over the calories for a Angus deluxe at McDonald's is 790! so I ordered s kids meal instead!
  • Barbie813
    Options
    Macaroni Grill -Carmela's Rigatoni Pasta is 930 calories. By the time you add on a small portion of peasant bread, and a salad, you have yourself a 1200 calorie meal. I was so sad!!!!!!
  • JesGrn
    JesGrn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    First day of my weight loss, I was still very green to this whole calorie counting thing. I wanted to start things off right, so I made 2 scrambled eggs, one piece of wheat bread toast, and washed it down with a big glass of orange juice. Color me surprised when my breakfast ended up at 600+ calories!

Granted, it actually was pretty healthy and contained a lot of good nutrients, but it blew my mind that something I thought was super healthy took up almost half my daily calories in one meal.

Also, I love the tips that have popped up now and again in this thread (like substituting sour cream with nonfat greek yogurt). Anyone else find substitutes for the things that had much higher calories than they expected? I would love to make a list.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JesGrn
    JesGrn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Anything at BW3 my favorite yummy delish dark beers and a small wendys frosty is over 400 cals.
  • kaittx13
    kaittx13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bananas, I can have something far more tasty for the calories.

I know I shouldn't, but I avoid fruit because of the amount of calories.

Also...SUGAR! I've been amazed at how much sugar fruit and milk contains. It's ridiculous!!! 200ml of skimmed milk is half my daily sugar allowance.

I do the same! too much sugar. I dont eat much fruit and have cut out milk and switched to almond milk. Strawberries and blueberries are the fruits i stick too!
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    pumpkin pie blizzards at DQ are over 500 cals for a small one. :noway: but they're soooooooo good! :cry:
  • LethelW8
    Options
    Ramen noodles!

Just noodles and flavors, right???

Nope. Each package is TWO servings (wha???) and the really bad ones can run you over 600 calories not to mention as much sodium as a salt lick.

Also, P.F. Chang's is evil!!! Each plate they bring out is between 3 and 4 servings at ~400 cals each.
  • sisterofseven
    sisterofseven Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Mrs Fields Peanut Dream Bar - it's like 5cm but 2cm and approx 700 cals (depending on which website your source the info from) I expected them to be bad but that is just ridiculous!!! I'll never touch one again
  • LethelW8
    Options
    Oh and Dunkin Donut's lattes (120 cal in a medium with SKIM) and bubble tea (~750 cal per serving)
  • rnjive
    Options
    Ice cream does it for me. I really missed up and ate it for dinner. total calories for day sore up to 2100...... AHHHHHHHHHH
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Momo (Nepalese dumplings).

Lucky we make them with lean meat at home! Still, the dough around the outside is an absolute killer.