Shocked by the calorie content

Options

Replies

• wavdawg4
    wavdawg4 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    ill go the opposite direction on this one...

i was thrilled when i saw how LOW the cals are in taco bell tacos.
    i can eat a 6pack and still be around 900cals. FANTASTIC!

so a nice dinner AND a sweet dump after?

sign.me.UP.

hahahaha... Honestly, for fast food Taco Bell does have a lot lower cals compared to other fast food.
  • nhgrumpy
    Options
    buffalo wings and trail mix. I love them both! I could polish off 20 wings for dinner and eat a bag of trail mix while reading.
  • Nicolette_Karls
    Options
    Foods from Subway. The flatbread has more calories than the Italian, all of the meats are soaked in sodium, and even when you avoid the bacon/mayo/sauces, you walk away with a 6" sub that has 500+ calories in it.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    the one that shocked me the most was finding out how many calories Arbys can stuff into a market fresh turkey sandwich : 700 calories.

it's a turkey sandwich. turkey and 700 calories should not occupy the same sentence outside of Thanksgiving.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    A small bag of Sun Chips with a Subway sandwich... Who knew that little handful of "healthy" chips was almost as many calories as the whole 6" sandwich!?

Uhgh.. I never get chips with a sandwich anymore. :(
  • almalaurathomas
    Options
    OREOS! 140 calories for two cookies. I don't know how many times I have sat down and polished off 10+ cookies with a big glass of milk! :cry:
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    My favorite personal pizza from newk's, the five cheese pizza, is 1,030 calories! One time I had a rough day at work so I ate that pizza, a slice of their red velvet cake (700 cal) and a large drink cup filled with mellow yellow (almost 200 cal per 8 oz). Talk about eating my feelings... O:
  • martintanz
    Options
    The one that really shocked me was the Dairy Queen Chicken Flamethrower. I used to think I was doing myself a favor by going with the chicken rather than the burger. Turns out this gutbuster had 860 calories, 55 gms of fat, and 1850 mg of sodium! No wonder I got so fat.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Great thread, made me laugh :laugh:

I thought I was quite calorie savvy, but when I started using MFP I logged my (then) usual breakfast of Sultana Bran & Coffee+2 sugars - OMG I didn't realise how much SUGAR is in Sultana Bran! :noway:

I now have black coffee no sugar no milk, and eat Vogels Soy & Linseed Cereal with skim milk (made from powder), or have a fry-up - potato, tomato, two eggs (done in non-stick pan with sometimes a tiny 0.04 grams of butter)

Also Chai tea - when I first started I went out for coffee with my boss, had Chai tea, proudly didn't add sugar, then when I got home and logged it - sob sob. Now make my own at home with skim milk, 1 sugar (I hate artificial sweetners).

Digital food scales has been a great help, along with digital person scales.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Kraft mac & cheese.
    I realize it's gross, but it screams comfort food to me.
    I used to eat the whole box!
    1200 calories of nasty fake cheese heaven.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    the one that shocked me the most was finding out how many calories Arbys can stuff into a market fresh turkey sandwich : 700 calories.

it's a turkey sandwich. turkey and 700 calories should not occupy the same sentence outside of Thanksgiving.

That was my surprise calorie bomb. They don't even put mayo on it. It has some sort of mustard so I thought it would be safe. Boy, was I wrong.
  • jennievh
    jennievh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Ha. On a hockey day, I can burn 800-900 calories. So a few weeks ago, I was coming back from hockey, a little hungry, worked hard, so I treated myself to not only a cheeseburger @ In & Out, but also an order of fries & a shake.

Came home and laughed at myself--I managed to go over my calories that day. I was sure I'd still be within them! What a wake-up call.
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Sushi! I had no idea! Over 300 per roll and I used to easily polish off 3 plus tempura and a beer then pat myself on the back for not eating fast food.

what kind of sushi you eating?
    i get surprisingly nice sushi from my local supermarket and you get about9 pieces in the packet and the whole packet works out at around 350 cals

California roll is about 390, salmon and avocado roll is about 380, dynamite roll is about 350. These were my favorite
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Cereal!!!

THIS! It's unbelievable the calories in some of these cereals!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Tortillas!! A large tortilla has about 200 calories! Served my hubby 3 fajita/taco type thingys... 600 cals in JUST the tortillas! Never mind the meat, cheese, sour cream, etc.. Probably a 1000 calorie dinner!

Now I've switched to smaller, wheat tortillas from Trader Joes, only 80cals each. After all- the tortilla doesn't really have much taste - it's just the vehicle to get all the goodies into your mouth! ha ha!

The low carb/low fat ones from Smart and delicious Tortilla Factory are 50 and based on oats. I like them better than regular ones and I eat a lot of tortillas
  • jaewer
    Options
    Granola...

OMG! I about died when I saw the calorie count in granola. Just 1/2 cup of Whole Foods Coconut Almond Granola = 270 calories ... and that's on the low end of the spectrum!!!
  • brickman76
    brickman76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    white castle sliders 140 calories.in that little burger
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Subway meatball sub 875
  • jgm379
    jgm379 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    1 lollipop 70 cal. 1 hot wing 50 cal. We have to give up foods we love or we would starve trying to stay under our daily calorie goal.
    :(