Spreadsheet for BMR/TDEE Deficit, Macro calcs, HRM zones

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I remember you sending me this spreadsheet a month ago, and I totally forgot about it. Just went through and did my numbers. It's pretty close to what I was doing. I had my calories at 2470 and your spreadsheet says 2392. Have you noticed weight loss stalling or gaining with just a 100 calorie increase? Gonna change my macros anyway. I should pay more attention to my friends list, lol!

Thanks hey! :tongue:

I've seen people report that 100 cal increase caused a slower weight loss amount to increase more than the 100 extra eaten. So it appears that was enough difference between body feeling stressed enough to allow full deficit or not.

That's always the tough part, you could be losing slowly steadily and thinking, that's good, slow is better.
    But is it slow because that's all you could get from your body, or slow because you made purposeful choice to do it better?
    Only a test of eating more would indicate.
    Because if the former, eating less will merely make it worse usually.
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Question... Should I use this when I'm beginning my weight loss journey or should I try the MFP way for a while first?
    I've been (kind of obsessing about) reading on the calorie deficit and how MFP sets it too low at 1200 cal. I'm nervous about upping my calories from that (I've only been on here a few weeks) simply because of what's been programmed into my brain of less calories = weight loss...

This spreadsheet looks great, but is it something I should start with or use once I'm already on my way? Sorry if this is silly...
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!! Awesome tool
  • heybales
    Options
    Question... Should I use this when I'm beginning my weight loss journey or should I try the MFP way for a while first?
    I've been (kind of obsessing about) reading on the calorie deficit and how MFP sets it too low at 1200 cal. I'm nervous about upping my calories from that (I've only been on here a few weeks) simply because of what's been programmed into my brain of less calories = weight loss...

This spreadsheet looks great, but is it something I should start with or use once I'm already on my way? Sorry if this is silly...

Not silly, but realize you probably have absolutely no idea on calorie levels to even be nervous about.

What were you eating at that got you in to trouble before you made changes and even tracked it?
    And was that number eaten with current exercise changes you may be making too?

If you follow MFP's method and recommendation you'd probably end up at about the same spot.
    Select Lightly Active for activity level, unless you have more than sedentary desk job like on your feet all day. Most find the Lightly Active actually applies to desk jobs and then normal shopping, walking to/from car, cleaning, ect. Sedentary is truly sitting on bum majority of all days outside exercise.
    Select 1 lb goal weight loss.
    Log and eat back all the exercise calories using the database.

Don't worry about those calorie burns being realistic, that actually is the protection from likely eating too little on the other days.

That should protect you from normal mass burn, except their protein recommended level isn't high enough for dieting, it's setting for recommendation for normal eating levels. Also resistance training will help retain muscle.

But if your workout routine is going to be pretty constant, and you want to eat 1 number every day to get good at it, or you have high bodyfat%, then use the spreadsheet.
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Not silly, but realize you probably have absolutely no idea on calorie levels to even be nervous about.

What were you eating at that got you in to trouble before you made changes and even tracked it?
    And was that number eaten with current exercise changes you may be making too?

If you follow MFP's method and recommendation you'd probably end up at about the same spot.
    Select Lightly Active for activity level, unless you have more than sedentary desk job like on your feet all day. Most find the Lightly Active actually applies to desk jobs and then normal shopping, walking to/from car, cleaning, ect. Sedentary is truly sitting on bum majority of all days outside exercise.
    Select 1 lb goal weight loss.
    Log and eat back all the exercise calories using the database.

Don't worry about those calorie burns being realistic, that actually is the protection from likely eating too little on the other days.

That should protect you from normal mass burn, except their protein recommended level isn't high enough for dieting, it's setting for recommendation for normal eating levels. Also resistance training will help retain muscle.

But if your workout routine is going to be pretty constant, and you want to eat 1 number every day to get good at it, or you have high bodyfat%, then use the spreadsheet.

You're right, I don't have a clue what I was eating at that made me gain all the weight. I loosely tracked based off weight watchers points last time I lost weight and got down close to goal weight (less than a year ago) then fell in love with an amazing cook and started stuffing my face, and as a result of that and little exercise gained all the weight I had lost, plus some, back.

Thank you for your advice. I'll follow what you said about MFP guidlines. Like I said I've been obsessing by reading forums to no end about macros and TDEE and all that comes with it and have gotten overwhelmed and worried I'm not doing the right thing. I know what worked for me last time and that should work for me again...I just have to keep reminding myself to "keep it simple stupid" lol :tongue:

Thanks again for your help!:smile:
  • Amytrue1
    Amytrue1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    Options
    You're right, I don't have a clue what I was eating at that made me gain all the weight. I loosely tracked based off weight watchers points last time I lost weight and got down close to goal weight (less than a year ago) then fell in love with an amazing cook and started stuffing my face, and as a result of that and little exercise gained all the weight I had lost, plus some, back.

Thank you for your advice. I'll follow what you said about MFP guidlines. Like I said I've been obsessing by reading forums to no end about macros and TDEE and all that comes with it and have gotten overwhelmed and worried I'm not doing the right thing. I know what worked for me last time and that should work for me again...I just have to keep reminding myself to "keep it simple stupid" lol :tongue:

Thanks again for your help!:smile:

Did it really work last time?
    What was the weight lost, fat only or muscle included?
    Did that make it easier to gain weight later?

But indeed great job wanting to educate yourself on it and make wise educated choices, rather than emotional (oh, I want 2 lbs weekly, and I'll say sedentary to be on the safe side, and won't eat back exercise to get more loss too) and have it all backfire during the weight loss, or after and gain it back again.

Just stick with it, loss isn't linear, especially if adding in exercise which asks body to make improvements, which has little to do with loss.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • stecrowe
    stecrowe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amos481
    amos481 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DAMETRE
    DAMETRE Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • msharp23
    msharp23 Posts: 14
    Options
    bumping to save for myself

Love this spreadsheet!!
  • heybales
    Options
    Wondering about adding the Skin-fold measurement sites and formula for another bodyfat% estimate, just in case you already got those.
    Gives other data to track for progress too.

Hmmmmm, there's room next to current BF measurement areas....
  • heybales
    Options
    Just added the Jackson Pollack 7-site skin fold measurement and formula for getting another BF estimate.

Then average it in with the others.

Progress tab has that stat now for tracking progress with.
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    Wow, that's awesome! I love tracking stats! Thanks so much!
  • heybales
    Options
    Wow, that's awesome! I love tracking stats! Thanks so much!

I figure for all those exercising and asking the body to improve, which usually doesn't have weight loss as side effect, better measure and track to see great results, just in case the clothes fitting better isn't proof enough.
  • sassynkp
    sassynkp Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Thunderfan66
    Thunderfan66 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Nice work - well done!

But still so confused about what I should be eating to lose weight! MFP recommends 1200, a dietician recommended 1350, someone else said 1700 and this spreadsheet recommended 2160 or so.....argh!

Did you do the bodyfat calc and use your results in the box?
    Then you are getting best estimated BMR.
    Did you fill in the activity calculator honestly for what you will really do?
    Then you are getting best estimated TDEE.
    The TDEG is based on amount to lose and type of workout, so best deficit to keep from undereating, but enough for fat/weight loss.

MFP is based off YOUR choices of activity level and weight loss goal - you made it 1200. When you follow the program and eat back exercise, now what level of eating would you be at?

Did dietician know your BF% and use it, and your intended exercise amount?

Yep, I did the body fat calc using measurements and the activity calculator honestly on the spreadsheet. It gave me an average of 25.29%BF, BMR of 1419, TDEE of 2426 and TDEG of 2102.

When I set the MFP it gave me 1200 - I put in my current weight, my goal weight and my activity level, and that's what it gave back. I'm not sure what you mean by what level of eating?

The dietician I saw initally a few years ago did measure my BF%, but she didn't give me a calorie count to aim for....teh sceond one I saw did not measure BF% but asked about my exercise regime and weight loss goals, and she gave me 1350 to aim for. I didn't end up continuing to see either because I didn't feel their advice was specific enough to me.
  • heybales
    Options
    Nice work - well done!

But still so confused about what I should be eating to lose weight! MFP recommends 1200, a dietician recommended 1350, someone else said 1700 and this spreadsheet recommended 2160 or so.....argh!

Did you do the bodyfat calc and use your results in the box?
    Then you are getting best estimated BMR.
    Did you fill in the activity calculator honestly for what you will really do?
    Then you are getting best estimated TDEE.
    The TDEG is based on amount to lose and type of workout, so best deficit to keep from undereating, but enough for fat/weight loss.

MFP is based off YOUR choices of activity level and weight loss goal - you made it 1200. When you follow the program and eat back exercise, now what level of eating would you be at?

Did dietician know your BF% and use it, and your intended exercise amount?

Yep, I did the body fat calc using measurements and the activity calculator honestly on the spreadsheet. It gave me an average of 25.29%BF, BMR of 1419, TDEE of 2426 and TDEG of 2102.

When I set the MFP it gave me 1200 - I put in my current weight, my goal weight and my activity level, and that's what it gave back. I'm not sure what you mean by what level of eating?

The dietician I saw initally a few years ago did measure my BF%, but she didn't give me a calorie count to aim for....teh sceond one I saw did not measure BF% but asked about my exercise regime and weight loss goals, and she gave me 1350 to aim for. I didn't end up continuing to see either because I didn't feel their advice was specific enough to me.

Wow, you either exercise a lot, or are a 30-hr a week mail carrier.

That's a BMR multiplier of 1.71.

I've only seen that high a multiplier with mistakes, and someone thinking that much exercise was useful and needed for fat and weight loss (it isn't).

13.4% deficit means near goal weight, and/or lifting a lot.

Realistic goal weight with that little BF% left?

On MFP, when you select sedentary which has no exercise included, true or likely not true, and you select 1 lb weight loss goal, you'll get 1200.
    But this close to goal weight, you should really be at 1/2 lb weekly goal. So now it's daily eating at 1450.
    Now with that eating goal, when you eat back all your exercise calories like MFP is setup to do, since there is NO exercise in their eating goal before you log the workout - now how much are you eating daily?
    Are your exercise calories around 650 most days? For reaching that TDEE estimate, I'm guessing yes.
    You just hit the same daily eating goal.