Spreadsheet for BMR/TDEE Deficit, Macro calcs, HRM zones

Options

Replies

• charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I dont mean to offend you, i can see youve put a lot of time and effort into the spreadsheet, but i looked at it and felt instantly overwhelmed. I had no idea where to start...
  • Mikemax125
    Mikemax125 Posts: 108
    Options
    This is very accurate! great job.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I dont mean to offend you, i can see youve put a lot of time and effort into the spreadsheet, but i looked at it and felt instantly overwhelmed. I had no idea where to start...

Like a book, you start at the top of the page that is showing.

No offense taken, when ones say that, they usually have only glanced at the colors and all the writing and all the available tabs and feel over-whelmed, but didn't actually read much to see you can stay right there on the Simple Setup tab. Though Progress tab is might nice too for tracking.

It says right off you can use just that page.

Because really, it's 5 stats you have memorized.
    8 measurements you likely already have or should have.
    That provides one other stat you enter in.
    Delete any sample data that doesn't apply.
    And then 5 possible levels of activity in your week you fill in, if they even apply.

If you have sedentary desk job, and lift 3 x weekly at 45 min and that's it, you are done, that's 135 min under lifting.
    Walk 3 days a week for 3 hrs weekly total, 3 - 4 mph? That's 180 min under medium cardio, done.

Nothing else to enter. Just read your results, and the guidelines under it, and what to change exactly where in MFP.
  • Thunderfan66
    Thunderfan66 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Nice work - well done!

But still so confused about what I should be eating to lose weight! MFP recommends 1200, a dietician recommended 1350, someone else said 1700 and this spreadsheet recommended 2160 or so.....argh!

Did you do the bodyfat calc and use your results in the box?
    Then you are getting best estimated BMR.
    Did you fill in the activity calculator honestly for what you will really do?
    Then you are getting best estimated TDEE.
    The TDEG is based on amount to lose and type of workout, so best deficit to keep from undereating, but enough for fat/weight loss.

MFP is based off YOUR choices of activity level and weight loss goal - you made it 1200. When you follow the program and eat back exercise, now what level of eating would you be at?

Did dietician know your BF% and use it, and your intended exercise amount?

Yep, I did the body fat calc using measurements and the activity calculator honestly on the spreadsheet. It gave me an average of 25.29%BF, BMR of 1419, TDEE of 2426 and TDEG of 2102.

When I set the MFP it gave me 1200 - I put in my current weight, my goal weight and my activity level, and that's what it gave back. I'm not sure what you mean by what level of eating?

The dietician I saw initally a few years ago did measure my BF%, but she didn't give me a calorie count to aim for....teh sceond one I saw did not measure BF% but asked about my exercise regime and weight loss goals, and she gave me 1350 to aim for. I didn't end up continuing to see either because I didn't feel their advice was specific enough to me.

Wow, you either exercise a lot, or are a 30-hr a week mail carrier.

That's a BMR multiplier of 1.71.

I've only seen that high a multiplier with mistakes, and someone thinking that much exercise was useful and needed for fat and weight loss (it isn't).

13.4% deficit means near goal weight, and/or lifting a lot.

Realistic goal weight with that little BF% left?

On MFP, when you select sedentary which has no exercise included, true or likely not true, and you select 1 lb weight loss goal, you'll get 1200.
    But this close to goal weight, you should really be at 1/2 lb weekly goal. So now it's daily eating at 1450.
    Now with that eating goal, when you eat back all your exercise calories like MFP is setup to do, since there is NO exercise in their eating goal before you log the workout - now how much are you eating daily?
    Are your exercise calories around 650 most days? For reaching that TDEE estimate, I'm guessing yes.
    You just hit the same daily eating goal.

Hmmmm....maybe I have made some mistakes along the line. I exercise every day, but not 650 calories worth! (I wouldn't think so anyway!). I don't have a heart rate monitor or anything like that, so I can only really go on the estimates available, and I would estimate 300cals per day, except on weight lifting days.

My current weekly regime would be 2x 45 min weight sessions, 1x 30min interval running session, 1x 5km run (approx 30 mins), 1x 90 min yoga class, 2x 1.5 hour dance classes....plus I teach 3 dance classes a week, and I am a school teacher as a job.

I only want to lose 3kg, so yes, close to goal, but a realistic weight loss....I have been there before so I know it can be done. Actaully, I am more concerned with losing cms, so whethere I actually lose 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 kg is irrelevant really.....I'm aiming to lose at least 3-4 cms from my waist and hips really.

Have I made some mistakes in the calculations do you think?
  • zcoqui
    zcoqui Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    Options
    Hmmmm....maybe I have made some mistakes along the line. I exercise every day, but not 650 calories worth! (I wouldn't think so anyway!). I don't have a heart rate monitor or anything like that, so I can only really go on the estimates available, and I would estimate 300cals per day, except on weight lifting days.

My current weekly regime would be 2x 45 min weight sessions, 1x 30min interval running session, 1x 5km run (approx 30 mins), 1x 90 min yoga class, 2x 1.5 hour dance classes....plus I teach 3 dance classes a week, and I am a school teacher as a job.

I only want to lose 3kg, so yes, close to goal, but a realistic weight loss....I have been there before so I know it can be done. Actaully, I am more concerned with losing cms, so whethere I actually lose 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 kg is irrelevant really.....I'm aiming to lose at least 3-4 cms from my waist and hips really.

Likely some errors.

So under service trades, just guessing for 5 hrs a day on your feet standing x 5 days for school - 25 hrs.
    90 min low cardio yoga
    180 min med cardio for dance classes
    60 min high cardio for running
    90 min lifting

Only thing to include is the teaching 3 dance classes a week. You would have to judge if it's the same as walking below 3 mph level of exertion, or really just more time standing on feed under service trades.
    And I put the 3 hrs of dance under same as walking 3-4 mph - but it may not be that intense at all.

But even at this level, I'm at 1.54 multiplier, so not sure where you included something wrong.

Notice the work related stuff is hrs a week, but exercise is minutes.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am really intrigued with this whole BMR/TDEE thing. I had never really heard of this theory and it sounds so good, but I can hardly imagine that it really works. I would be beyond thrilled if it does so I want to give it a shot, but my head is already spinning and I have no clue how to really, realistically calculate how many calories I should be consuming to lose a good amount of fat... Anyone willing to help that I can PM?
  • heybales
    Options
    I am really intrigued with this whole BMR/TDEE thing. I had never really heard of this theory and it sounds so good, but I can hardly imagine that it really works. I would be beyond thrilled if it does so I want to give it a shot, but my head is already spinning and I have no clue how to really, realistically calculate how many calories I should be consuming to lose a good amount of fat... Anyone willing to help that I can PM?

Spreadsheet this topic was created for, is for exactly that purpose. Did you read the topic and see the link?

Have you looked at it? Don't gloss over, read it, it's not asking for much info from you.

It's not theory, you eat less than you burn daily, you lose weight.

It's also not theory that you do that to a reasonable level not an extreme level, and while you may lose slower, it's more sustainable during the weight loss, and afterwards keeping it off.

It's also not theory that it is all too easy to burn off muscle mass eating too extreme a deficit, which is what makes maintenance later fail all too often.

What you burn daily is called TDEE.

MFP is handling the eating part of the equation.

Now you just need to know your TDEE, and take reasonable deficit, and log your food.
  • MulberryMad
    MulberryMad Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks.
  • ArieMc88
    ArieMc88 Posts: 18
    Options
    I have heard about eating more (the right foods) to loose weight so many times! Now that I am trying it out I feel alot better and the lbs are coming off!!!!
  • heybales
    Options
    I have heard about eating more (the right foods) to loose weight so many times! Now that I am trying it out I feel alot better and the lbs are coming off!!!!

Great news and results, and good for you for trying what may have seemed a scary idea.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Awesome tool!! Thanks for developing and for sharing!! Saving for later!!
  • Thunderfan66
    Thunderfan66 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Likely some errors.

So under service trades, just guessing for 5 hrs a day on your feet standing x 5 days for school - 25 hrs.
    90 min low cardio yoga
    180 min med cardio for dance classes
    60 min high cardio for running
    90 min lifting

Only thing to include is the teaching 3 dance classes a week. You would have to judge if it's the same as walking below 3 mph level of exertion, or really just more time standing on feed under service trades.
    And I put the 3 hrs of dance under same as walking 3-4 mph - but it may not be that intense at all.

But even at this level, I'm at 1.54 multiplier, so not sure where you included something wrong.

Notice the work related stuff is hrs a week, but exercise is minutes.

OK I readjusted the calculations according to what you said above, and I came out with a TDEG of 1791, which seems more realistic to me. That is taking into account the exercise isn't it? So if I exercise, I aim for 1791. If I don't, I eat a bit less and if I do extra I eat a bit more? Is that right?
  • nannukka
    nannukka Posts: 52
    Options
    I freaking loved that spreadsheet!!!! It was SOOO easy to use. Like you said Heybales, just start from the top and read what it asks you to do (and not to do), keep plugging along. If you have the measurements it doesn't even take long - and VOILA!!! It was AHA moment in the biggest sense. I was so impressed with that spreadsheet. All the reading that I have done the past month came clear and I feel I have a clear plan and a vision and a roadmap (I love that. That is what it is). I also read the whole thread and all the questions and answers. Now I feel like I have those numbers from the spreadsheet as my guidelines and I have better understanding of the relationship with food and exercise. But more importantly after reading your advice to the other lovely people on here, I understand that it will take time, weight will go up and down and stall but no need to panic. I understand that this will be sustainable for lifetime and I do NOT need to worry if I go little over or under the goal numbers. No need to obsess and worry - just take the knowledge and go for it! This was the most informative and freeing time I have spent in MFP!!

Heybales, you have spend hours making spreadsheets, fixing them, answering people's questions patiently and kindly. I hope many good things come to your way. Thank you!
  • heybales
    Options
    OK I readjusted the calculations according to what you said above, and I came out with a TDEG of 1791, which seems more realistic to me. That is taking into account the exercise isn't it? So if I exercise, I aim for 1791. If I don't, I eat a bit less and if I do extra I eat a bit more? Is that right?

Good, that dancing time counts, but maybe not as intense as I thought, I could imagine teaching is standing around more.

You aim for TDEG Daily.

Read the tidbits under Your Results for caveats to that. You are correct.
  • heybales
    Options
    I freaking loved that spreadsheet!!!! It was SOOO easy to use. Like you said Heybales, just start from the top and read what it asks you to do (and not to do), keep plugging along. If you have the measurements it doesn't even take long - and VOILA!!! It was AHA moment in the biggest sense. I was so impressed with that spreadsheet. All the reading that I have done the past month came clear and I feel I have a clear plan and a vision and a roadmap (I love that. That is what it is). I also read the whole thread and all the questions and answers. Now I feel like I have those numbers from the spreadsheet as my guidelines and I have better understanding of the relationship with food and exercise. But more importantly after reading your advice to the other lovely people on here, I understand that it will take time, weight will go up and down and stall but no need to panic. I understand that this will be sustainable for lifetime and I do NOT need to worry if I go little over or under the goal numbers. No need to obsess and worry - just take the knowledge and go for it! This was the most informative and freeing time I have spent in MFP!!

Heybales, you have spend hours making spreadsheets, fixing them, answering people's questions patiently and kindly. I hope many good things come to your way. Thank you!

I'm glad it worked that well for you with info, it wasn't really intended as educational, I figured someone would only give it a try if they had done some reading already, and just wanted a storage place for their stats and easier way of looking at it.

It has been actually a stress relief for when exercise can't be, so beneficial for me too.

Now to start the app development, ahah.
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    bump
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Bump
  • Happyheavens
    Options
    bump