guys... and their opinions on southern accents

Options

Replies

• MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Who cares? It's an accent! I'm from WV and I am never told that I sound uneducated! It may not be as strong as someone from Alabama but it's there. Everyone has some type of accent. Have you heard the people from the west coast speak?
  • kenjancef
    kenjancef Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Southern accents are EXTREMELY sexy! And they don't make ANYONE sound stupid.
  • rrrufty
    rrrufty Posts: 24
    Options
    just cause someone sounds like a hick doesnt mean there uneducated..

i sound like one and im very much educated.

-Kelsey.

and p.s. who doesnt love a southernbelle?

You mean "they're"?

LOL
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    So, out of nowhere I get told that I sound uneducated and stupid just by the tone of my voice and incredibly thick southern accent. This rude comment was interrupted by a guy who said he thought accents were incredibly sweet and sexy. Then this turned into a debate of about 30 men all with very different opinions. So I have to hear it from my MFP people since you all seem to be brutally honest.... Yes or no to a girl with a southern accent. And you have to tell me why. I am beyond curious!

if they are hot... then its attractive. if they arent, then they appear stupid.
  • deadliftfan
    Options
    Not American, and I think Southern accents are nice in a quaint sort of way. American media generally depict characters with Southern accents as stupid, poor, uneducated, bigoted tea-baggers which affects the way people perceive you. I may be wrong, but my understanding is that a lot of educated Southerners adopt neutral accents because of this bias (eg: Stephen Colbert).
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Not a guy but if you have a classic southern accent it is fine, that is much different than the southern drawl. Also, if you use words in the correct context as well as in proper manner, then you don't sound uneducated. It really doesn't matter the accent. We have Red Neck way of speaking here in the west and my ancestors are from the south and yes we sound Australian. The Red Neck speech is an uneducated way of speaking but I am married to a man that doesn't always speak right and neither do I so in the end BE YOUR SELF and F*** what people think.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    Men usually love my southern accent and my voice... and I'm educated. :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Southern accents can sound adorable or stupid. Depends on the person. Just try to make yours cute. =)
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty bad *kitten*.

Every time I think of a southern accent I can't stop thinking about Chalky White asking his daughter if he still thinks he's interesting or not.

And it can be quite sexy.

For me a girl sounds "dumb," when in one sentence all she has accomplished to say was "like. totally, OMG, GTFO, lol," etc
  • TheBiggestLosee
    Options
    It depends on the person's voice. Some voices are annoying, while others are sexy.

Subjective imo.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly amazed that people still associate southern accents with "quaintness" and sounding stupid or uneducated, it's completely irrational.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas and some of the problems I have with southern accents are when people talk super slow. That doesn't help with the intelligence part of things. Also, I asked my boss for a pin and she gave me a pen. I hate that people pronounce Central Texas as Sintral Texas. I guess I don't like it much at all. And, not a guy.
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have a southern accent and I moved to California 31 years ago. My family still live in the South and I talk to them all the time so I continue with the accent. People have told me many times they love my accent and ask if I'm from Texas.... which I'm not. I think it's a little California with a touch of a southern drawl. I'm proud of my accent and hope it never changes and I'm an educated person. I think you should enjoy who you are and what you sound like and not give a thought to what others think. :glasses:
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    uneducated and stupid and incredibly sweet and sexy.
    Yes. All of the above.
  • LinDiSm26262
    Options
    Hey
  • LinDiSm26262
    Options
    Who cares? It's an accent! I'm from WV and I am never told that I sound uneducated! It may not be as strong as someone from Alabama but it's there. Everyone has some type of accent. Have you heard the people from the west coast speak?

Hey there....I'm originally from WV. I moved to Ca in 1981 but still have the accent because my family still live back there. I've always loved a southern accent and I love WV. I lived in South Charleston....what part of the state are from?
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Southern accents on women are hot as hell.
  • LinDiSm26262
    Options
    Well, I am from south/east Florida so, try to imagine a guy with a slight southern twang in his voice who uses quite a but if surfing lingo.

Anyway, I never gave the whole southern accent much thought until I dated a girl from Tennessee.
    Oh my GOD!!! I could listen to her babble for hours (and she did). Now, the fact that she was as dumb as a bag of rocks had nothing to do with her accent.

Ha-Ha!!!
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    No...

Only because I like my Scottish accent better though :tongue:
  • karynspeace
    Options
    I have a slight southern Texan accent that tends to come out more when I am tired than any other time. My daughter thinks it is awesome. My coworkers know when it comes out, I am REALLY tired... and often tease me about what kept me up so late...

I x-rayed a gentleman recently and he just kept smiling and staring at me. Nice looking fella too. It wasn't until I was done and he was leaving that he smiled and said "Texan, huh? Nice". I am taking that as a compliment.