Top 5 gym pet peeves

Options

Replies

• gxdragon
    gxdragon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The one that bothers me the most is when women in the locker room hang out naked... I walk in there after a work out and there are two women toweling off naked having a great conversation..... in front of my locker.... I mean c'mon ladies! really?

God I wish this would happen to me!
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I hate the people who work at my gym. They are rude, have a superiority complex, and seem to think that you needing them for something is a very inconvenient interference with the real purpose of their job: socializing with the other people that work there. Sometimes they look like high school students, which just makes me roll my eyes, but during the day there are "grown ups" who I would like to have a little more faith in. Ugh!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    1. When nocturnal animals start roaming around in daylight; it usually means they're rabid.
    2. Spiders and their webs -- they act like they own the entire world.
    3. Squirrels shaking acorns off the oak trees.
    4. When tree branches are all over the place after a storm.
    5. When I can hear other human beings in the distance.
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Oh I absolutely LOVE when cutesie girls go to the gym with their hair down, cutesie clothes, make up, and walk on the treadmill at 3.0 mph without breaking a sweat. You're obviously here to get a good workout. NOW GET OFF THE TREADMILL SO I CAN USE IT.

I most definitely agree with this. There was a girl at my gym who showed up with SPARKLES on her face daily, hair done somewhat nicely and I don't recall her ever breaking a sweat. Ridiculous.

Some people workout right after work, or on their lunch breaks --ahem. My makeup is always done because I come from work and return to work.
  • runningonmargaritas
    Options
    I hate all people and even though I go to a public gym I wish no other people were there. And the people who are there are aholes if they don't do they same exact things I do. And even if they do the same things I do, they are still jerks if they do them anywhere in my vicinity. People that wear nicer clothes than me to the gym are sluts. People that wear worse clothes than me are bums.

To sum it up:
    1. I believe my $30 membership fee should get me private access.
    2. I'm going to take the elliptical right in front of the TV that's showing the game, and everyone else should stay 5 machines away even if they can't see the game from there.
    3. all people that aren't me are inconsiderate aholes. Or sluts.

this.
  • Thanks for this post. I have machines in my home, but was considering joining a gym to get the benefit of classes and other machines I don't have. I WILL NOT be spending my good money to be miserable! Thanks for the heads up folks!

As a recent convert to going to the gym, I hate to see this amusing thread put anyone off. First of all, each gym is different. I visited several before making a choice. One I was considering put me off just looking at their webpage. It was packed with greased up bodybuilders and I knew that wasn't going to be comfortable for me. I am lucky enough to be able to go to my clean, diverse, and spacious gym during slow hours. Yes, I have had someone grab a machine next to me, but it's rare. I am very antisocial. I wear my headphones, get in there, do my workout, wipe the equipment, and log my progress on MFP. I am amazed what the process of going to the gym has done for my fitness in just a couple of months. I actually LOOK FORWARD to workout days and make it a priority. I can go in feeling tired and uninspired and come out energized. I feel better every day. Making the commitment to go and spend the hour is so much better than having stuff at home. After a lifetime of scoffing at athletes, I get it.
  • tabatanut
    Options
    People who do a few reps and sit on the machine for 5 minutes doing nothing before doing a few more reps. GET OUT OF THE WAY. lol

People who walk in the running lane on the track, or worse yet people who walk 3 across as slow as a snail (my track has 3 lanes) just talking while people are trying to run. EXCUSE ME COMING THROUGH ha ha
  • wildside79
    Options
    Odd - I'm normally in my own world when I work out... but reading through I'm laughing more at people in this thread, while I agree with a few points (people that don't wipe up, droppers, hogs and barbies just wasting a machine, and old gym clothes), some of these complaints are just silly...

Its a locker room, avert your eyes, grab your stuff and go. Funny how people like to project their insecurities onto everyone else. Don't wanna spot for a stranger? Say "sorry, no", they probably own't ask you again. If you do spot, you should probably ask the range of reps they are planning. Gyms are kind of a social atmosphere... don't like to socialize? Ignore everyone, eventually everyone will know not to talk to you and will probably make conversation with someone else.
  • Southern_Belle89
    Options
    What are everyone's biggest pet peeves about the gym? Mine would be.....

1. My biggest one is......When people (when I say people it's guys 99% of the time) talk to me. Leave me alone please, I'm not friendly, I'm not at the gym to make any new friends. I want to focus on my workout & go home. I purposely walk around the gym without making eye contact with anyone & I keep a stern look on my face & try & look as unapproachable as possible. But, the brave ones still bother me. Then when I tell them that I'm married they have the nerve to ask me where my wedding ring is! Why would I wear my beautiful wedding ring to the gym while I am lifting weights & can scratch it all up?

2. People who hog machines while they are sitting there texting or talking on the phone. If you aren't using the machine then move!

3. Don't hover over me while I'm using the machine, when I'm done it's all yours. But hovering over me is just going to piss me off & it creeps me out as well.

4. People who don't wipe down the machines after sweating all over them, rude!

5. When people try to hog 1-3 machines at a time. How is that fair?

Bahaha I agree with all of yours! Love your post!
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I hate all people and even though I go to a public gym I wish no other people were there. And the people who are there are aholes if they don't do they same exact things I do. And even if they do the same things I do, they are still jerks if they do them anywhere in my vicinity. People that wear nicer clothes than me to the gym are sluts. People that wear worse clothes than me are bums.

To sum it up:
    1. I believe my $30 membership fee should get me private access.
    2. I'm going to take the elliptical right in front of the TV that's showing the game, and everyone else should stay 5 machines away even if they can't see the game from there.
    3. all people that aren't me are inconsiderate aholes. Or sluts.

ha ha. this is awesome.
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    1. People drop weights

2. People who throw down weights

3. People who don't watch out for others when dropping/throwing weights

4. People who think weight dropping is cool.

5. People who unreasonably use "safety" as an excuse for being too weak to properly set weights down.

I agree with this! It's so annoying and at my gym the weight room is on the second floor (cardio on the first) so you can really hear the bang. It annoys the heck out of me!
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    #4 gets me too! There is one lady in my gym who totally scrubs any machine down before she goes on it and yet walks away without a second glance once she's done with her exercise!

The other gripes are probably related to Fitness First as a company and complaining here won't change much!!
  • mermegan
    Options
    For the love of God, curling in the squat rack.

P.S. If you forgot your headphones it is not ok to blast your music off your iPhone. Either find some headphones or suck it up and do without your Top 40 mix.
  • Lisarky
    Options
    1. When someone sits on the machine to rest between sets, and there is time for me to do my quick set while they are resting. Am I wrong in this? Is there some reason they couldn't go on to their next machine and come back for another set? I usually make three circuits of the same 6 machines (I can only do upper body workouts). So I do one, the next, the next etc.

2. When a group of people come to the gym together and the whole experience is obviously more about a social encounter than an actual workout. There are times when I know all their plans about going out drinking, what club they are going to, and what restaurant they are going to etc (all very loud with lots of laughing and even curse words).

3. I'm fat. I'm trying, and I'm doing well. I hate the looks I get from some of the guys in there on the free weights. Maybe I'm over-sensitive but I get the distinct feeling that there are a couple of jerks in there s******ing behind my back.

4. This one is going to sound kind of funny, but...in the locker room, jeepers girls, we have seen it all before. Why do you stand there and struggle into your bra and panties while attempting *usually unsuccessfully* to hold a towel over yourself to protect your modesty? If you are really that worried about it, why not use a stall to change?

5. This is my BIGGEST PET PEEVE>>>>>> Vending machines with JUNK FOOD in them, and junk food available from behind the counter too. Like hell. Why not promote healthier choices, especially considering that my gym is the YMCA and so many kids go through there? Chips, candy bars and pop? Are you kidding me? Those things tempt me so badly, and I keep them out of my house and out of my face, and I go to the gym to try to make myself better, and I have to see that stuff? There are too many reasons to list that this is not proper.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    #1 grunting pigs

My gym is small and there are only about 5 ppl in there at the most (at least in the evenings) so I don't have a lot of other complaints.
  • rarobe01
    rarobe01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1- People who use the squat rack to do curls

2 - not wiping the sweat off the machines after use

3 - not re-racking the weights and dumbbells.

4 - people who drop/slam weights that are not all that heavy

5 - people who lift weights but put very little effort in to it.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Oh I absolutely LOVE when cutesie girls go to the gym with their hair down, cutesie clothes, make up, and walk on the treadmill at 3.0 mph without breaking a sweat. You're obviously here to get a good workout. NOW GET OFF THE TREADMILL SO I CAN USE IT.

I most definitely agree with this. There was a girl at my gym who showed up with SPARKLES on her face daily, hair done somewhat nicely and I don't recall her ever breaking a sweat. Ridiculous.

Screw you guys, I look cute at the gym and work harder than almost everyone else in there. By the end of the workout, I'm sweaty but my makeup (usually) hasn't budged. I work out in the morning, and just wear my makeup from the previous day. When I lift, I leave my hair down. Apparently there's some huge judgmental female rule against this. It f*cking hurts my head to lie on a bench with a giant lump of elastic digging into my skull. I wear cute workout clothes. It takes just as long to put on something cute as it does to put on sh*tty clothes. Why does looking good equate to weakness/laziness? I'm stronger than a lot of the guys and I have actually broken a treadmill while running at its top speed. There's so much hate on this site about makeup at the gym.

MMMM yea the point was that if you are going to get on a treadmill and do nothing, then don't waste your time at the gym when there is a HUGE line for the treadmill. The makeup part wasn't even the main point of this. A little defensive, aren't we?
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    This thread has turned out to be hilarious! Glad I started it :laugh:
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    1. People who make comments about my weight. Last time, I loudly stated "I have lost over 200 pounds on my own. You wanna judge?"
    2. People who pick the machine RIGHT next to me when there's a whole row of free ones.
    3. People who talk on their bluetooth really loud and complain about other people at the gym.
    4. Gawkers in the locker room. Yeah, I have extra skin. So what. It's not fat...leave me alone.
    5. People who work at the gym who act annoyed when I ask them a question. God forbid you'd have to do your job.
    6. Auto motion sensor lights at night. I was on the elliptical for 45 minutes and ALL the lights in the place shut off. You would have thought I was in the zombie apocalypse, I've never ran so fast in my life for the door. By that time all the lights were back on again. Mood killed.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    5. I actually have an issue with some people who work at my gym. This one girl who is obviously fit gives me a dirty look everytime I come in. And one guy is overly enthusiastic when he sees me because we went to school together from middle school up and in 6th grade he was part of a group of guys who brought multiple cans of slimfast to school with them and threw them at me when I was getting my books out of my locker. When he saw me he asked how I was because he knew I moved out of state and said I looked good and he was shocked I was in a tshirt because in all the years hes known me he'd never seen me not wearing a sweatshirt (i have really bad scars on my arms from cutting in middle school/high school) To which I was nice enough when responding but then asked him how many heavy girls here he'd thrown cans of slimfast at. So now hes overly nice to me since that day and it drives me absolutely insane. Like really youve been an *kitten* to me the last ten years dont start being a nice guy now.

Oh I get where you're coming from about this guy being nice all of a sudden. That would be so hurtful to go through as a kid. Then again, I do see him having some remorse if he's at least trying to be nice. However, you have all the right to be pissed.