Top 5 gym pet peeves

Options

Replies

• _Alkaline
    _Alkaline Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    1) People who stare at the dashboard on my machine, usually for about 50% of the time we are at they gym. You don't know me, you don't know my journey, that number isn't going to help you - Which is why I am never curious about your time.

2) The ever so popular person who saddles up next to you on a machine despite a rows of empty machines. Bonus points for when they try to talk to me and I feel like an *kitten* cause I can't respond.

3)Women in the locker room who start conversations with me by standing in front of me while i am taking off my bra. Bra off + strangers equal no talking time, but I also turned away from you for a reason, lets not make this awkward (oddly enough if we are friends i don't care, i just find it disturbing and it makes me defensive when strangers do it)

hmm oh 4) SINGING. This never comes from someone who can actually sing. never. never ever.

5) hmm thats all i have right now. I'd list people having loud shouting convos but thats a variation of the annoying singers.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Oh I absolutely LOVE when cutesie girls go to the gym with their hair down, cutesie clothes, make up, and walk on the treadmill at 3.0 mph without breaking a sweat. You're obviously here to get a good workout. NOW GET OFF THE TREADMILL SO I CAN USE IT.

I most definitely agree with this. There was a girl at my gym who showed up with SPARKLES on her face daily, hair done somewhat nicely and I don't recall her ever breaking a sweat. Ridiculous.

Screw you guys, I look cute at the gym and work harder than almost everyone else in there. By the end of the workout, I'm sweaty but my makeup (usually) hasn't budged. I work out in the morning, and just wear my makeup from the previous day. When I lift, I leave my hair down. Apparently there's some huge judgmental female rule against this. It f*cking hurts my head to lie on a bench with a giant lump of elastic digging into my skull. I wear cute workout clothes. It takes just as long to put on something cute as it does to put on sh*tty clothes. Why does looking good equate to weakness/laziness? I'm stronger than a lot of the guys and I have actually broken a treadmill while running at its top speed. There's so much hate on this site about makeup at the gym.

MMMM yea the point was that if you are going to get on a treadmill and do nothing, then don't waste your time at the gym when there is a HUGE line for the treadmill. The makeup part wasn't even the main point of this. A little defensive, aren't we?

So what? Walking is still doing something. better than sitting on your *kitten*. No matter what pace they are at, they still deserve time on a machine as much as you tiger.

Agreed. At least they're clearly focused on what THEY are doing while you're too busy investing your interest in everybody around you. You don't know their personal history, that could be a huge step in the right direction for them in regards to physical activity.
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I haven't seen a lot of these things happen! :) Probably because I go at a time that isn't that busy, and there are lots of personal trainers and the owner around keeping an eye on everyone :)
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    What are everyone's biggest pet peeves about the gym? Mine would be.....

3. Don't hover over me while I'm using the machine, when I'm done it's all yours. But hovering over me is just going to piss me off & it creeps me out as well.

4. People who don't wipe down the machines after sweating all over them, rude!

Those 2 are awful!
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    My gym has one squat rack, so I hate when I see a guy in there doing bicep curls with the bar.

I hate when weights aren't put back in the correct spot, like when the dumbbells are out of order.

I don't mind people doing circuits, as long as they let you work in.
  • boschbrianna
    boschbrianna Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My biggest peeve is people that look good already get on the machine next to you just to show you up. It's like ya ***** i get it im fat and losing weight that's why im at the gym I am here to feel better about myself not worse.

Ya same issue is guys talking to you at the gym, I have a fiance and whenever i go wihtout him I get guys that say how I don't need to lose weight cuz they like cuirvey girls! GRRR

Another peeve is seeing someone who is heavier than me not doing the right things for their body. Saw a woman weight lifting A LOT of weight when it was obvious that she should be fat burning before adding muscle, but I don;t wanna say anythingcuz she might wanna be a heavy weight lifter and I don't wanna offend her but if shes trying to lose weight the way she was doing it was not gonna work :(
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    1) Machine Shifters - 10 minutes here, than 10 minutes there.. just pick a damn machine.

2) Women who walk around naked! - Use a towel I don't want to see your body

3) Swimmers who get the bench and floor all wet after swimming, Same applies to people using showers

4) People who talk on their cell phone well working out, Really? .. your not working very hard if you can talk that much!

5) Personal Trainers who hog equipment, "Can I use that exercise ball sitting in the corner" , "No I need it" - they walk away and don't come back for 20 minutes, I could have been done with it.

6) Instructors who change a class because they like too... Spinning Class means you spin, not get off your bike every 3 freaking minutes to do bootcamp, Step class is Step Aerobics, not doing weights and running across the room.
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    This one I HAD to mention:

Ladies~~~~~you know the machines we use to work our outer and inner thigh.......the ones with the padding on the outside and the padding on the inside of the thigh area?

The CREEPY guys that sit on the machines in front of you and just watch you workout on those machines!!!! Blech! :huh:

I had a guy do that yesterday to me and I wanted to be sick! I could not finish using the machines....I had to get up and walk away.
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    My biggest peeve is people that look good already get on the machine next to you just to show you up. It's like ya ***** i get it im fat and losing weight that's why im at the gym I am here to feel better about myself not worse.

Ya same issue is guys talking to you at the gym, I have a fiance and whenever i go wihtout him I get guys that say how I don't need to lose weight cuz they like cuirvey girls! GRRR

Another peeve is seeing someone who is heavier than me not doing the right things for their body. Saw a woman weight lifting A LOT of weight when it was obvious that she should be fat burning before adding muscle, but I don;t wanna say anythingcuz she might wanna be a heavy weight lifter and I don't wanna offend her but if shes trying to lose weight the way she was doing it was not gonna work :(

:noway:
    I'm just going to wait for someone else to say it..
  • Brunner26_2
    Options

Are you sure the person wants to show you up? You sound a little insecure. And about overweight people lifting, strength training is important for a weight loss program.
  • Brunner26_2
    Options

lol perfect timing
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    This one I HAD to mention:

Ladies~~~~~you know the machines we use to work our outer and inner thigh.......the ones with the padding on the outside and the padding on the inside of the thigh area?

The CREEPY guys that sit on the machines in front of you and just watch you workout on those machines!!!! Blech! :huh:

I had a guy do that yesterday to me and I wanted to be sick! I could not finish using the machines....I had to get up and walk away.

yes this.....^^^^
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

This is absolutely terrible.
    Weight lifting does WONDERS.
    Many people only lift weights and look amazing.
  • jynxxxed
    Options

lol perfect timing

:wink:
  • tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I go to a very crowded student gym on campus, so here are mine:

1. People that pointlessly and needlessly drop the weights from a large height as if they were trying to draw attention to themselves...cant stand it

2. People that ranomly stop walking when your walking behind them

3. People that grab weights from a rack and stand in the isle doing exercises (blocking everyone from walking down the isle)

4. People that grab a quick set on the machine that you are using WITHOUT asking you first....im cool with other people working in, but they have to ask me first

5. And finally, those self absorbed idiots that stand infront of the mirror checking themselves out...those mirrors are for people like me who watch their form....you wanna check yourself out, go to the change room
  • imaginaryplaces
    imaginaryplaces Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I have machines in my home, but was considering joining a gym to get the benefit of classes and other machines I don't have. I WILL NOT be spending my good money to be miserable! Thanks for the heads up folks!

Reading this thread, I can understand how you would feel this way, but I hope you realize that not all gyms are alike. I love my gym! It's clean, well-maintained, with helpful staff. A wide range of people - different ages, body types and fitness levels. Most folks there are friendly and supportive without being intrusive.

I think that a some of the complaints on this thread (people having their space invaded, for example) are problems of perception, not bad behavior. You know, this morning at the gym, I caught myself staring at someone - actually I was working hard and just kind of zoned out and didn't realize I was doing it. Thankfully, she didn't notice, or, if she did, she was too nice to call me out on it.

I've also been known to check out how much weight others are lifting or how fast they're going on the treadmill - it gives me something to aspire to. It's not an act of judgement.

And I'm guilty of picking the treadmill based on which TV I want to watch, even if it means, gasp, working out next to another person.

As for women looking too good, there's a woman at my gym who wears really cute workout clothes and always has her hair in a nice updo - she looks great. She also works out hard and has the body to show for it. More power to her. Wear what you want and avoid judging others.

Now let's just all get our butts to the gym, work up a sweat and quit assuming that anyone else is there just to aggravate us. OK?
  • MizKittyB
    MizKittyB Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I always have makeup on at the gym because I go right after my workday, didn't realize people even noticed!

This is me, too. :P
  • tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
    Options

This is absolutely terrible.
    Weight lifting does WONDERS.
    Many people only lift weights and look amazing.

Agreed, that is terrible....and, more to the point, how exactly do you know what is right for another person's body?? The lady might be choosing to lose weight by raising her metabolism through muscle gains. Ive done it before.

That point comes from a very narrow minded person....
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    1.) When people don't wipe off their machines when they're done

2.) When the gym fails to fill the paper towels/cleaning solution in a timely manner to where I can't wipe off my own machine and make myself a hypocrite. I go to 24 hr fitness, it's a huge gym. I report that it's empty when I'm heading home (front desk by the entrance), but I barely even have time to make it to the gym at all let alone have to wait in line to talk to an employee about an empty paper towel dispenser. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to cut into my already limited gym time for something like that.

3.) When someone chooses the machine RIGHT next to me when there are many others open. It makes me feel like they're thinking "Oh man, I'll work out by this fatty so I can look AWESOME" lol

4.) Chicks that hang up their swimsuits on the hand dryers in the locker rooms, then give me a dirty look when I try to dry my hands (and they still give me a dirty look even though it's the ONLY hand dryer and they don't even have paper towels in the locker rooms)

5.) When somebody has an employee change the channel of the TV I'm working out in front of
  • painthoss
    painthoss Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My gym has one of those oscillating fans up on the wall. It blows freezing cold air down your neck and across your back every 30 seconds. I hate it and will take the treadmill furthest away from it, I don't know or care if it's the one right beside you and I really don't know or care whether you like it or not. If you have a problem with it or glare at me, I don't know or care about that either. I'm stupid that way. On purpose.