Does eating before you go to bed really make you fat??

Options

Replies

• ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    For me, it is best that I don't eat a couple hours before I go to bed. I always wake up bloated if I eat right before bed. That's not to say it will make you fat. It's all about what you eat.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Man I hope not or I am going to be very disappointed when I wake up and realize the last 38 months and 311 lbs. lost (all while taking atleast a 500 calorie snack to bed with me every night) was all a dream!!! Grr!! LOL but seriously OP unless you have a medical condition that would cause you discomfort sleep on a full stomach (aka acid reflux) then there is no rules of meal frequency that would not allow you to eat your daily caloric intake whenever you see fit. I am a diabetic so I spread my meals out to work into my blood sugars but if you wanna eat all your daily calories in one setting then there is nothing wrong with that. Best of Luck!!
  • mashanda
    mashanda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think that is myth. I think eating before bed cause me not to sleep sometimes because my food is not settled but other than that I dont believe it.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hello.
    I wanted to know peoples opinions on what time to eat.
    Say if you get up at 5am and go to bed at 9pm.So does food eaten in the latter hours really lie on your stomach and turn to fat???.Even if its within your calorie goal for the day??
    Are these myths.Don't eat after 6pm etc etc.
    What do people think???

No, all that matters is a calorie deficit. I found by experience that it helped me to stop eating in the evenings because the longer break from dinner to breakfast simply meant eating less which helps you stay in a calorie deficit. I lost 40 lbs by doing this and then it evolved to more weight loss and finally getting the body I wanted at age 50 -- more details here --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
  • courtneyxjayne
    Options
    no its a complete myth. its better to have a light snack before bed than to go hungry during the night because you sleep we'll say 8 hours a night. and during that 8 hours your body isn't getting any food, but you're supposed to eat maximum every four hours. so if you eat before bed your body is still burning the food and using the energy.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Just read all the responses, and have come to the conclusion that eating later does not make you fat. However, NOT eating later makes you cranky and very defensive. lol
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    When I eat before bed, I sleep better. Sleeping well helps with weight loss.

This goes for me as well.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    if your ultimate goal is to lose fat then Not Eating before bed COULD be an effective way to help you meet that goal (among other things of course).

If it effects total energy balance then yes.

Regarding glycogen levels, if you are not eating at night in an attempt to keep glycogen low (to promote a fat burning environment per your example) and you are comparing equal energy intakes, you are by default consuming more calories during the day. This increases fat storage during the day and also increases fat oxidation overnight/in the AM.

The net balance between fat oxidation and fat storage is what matters, and shifting calories around isn't really going to have a significant effect on this. Generally speaking, if you're moving intake to increase oxidation during fasting periods, you are increasing storage during fed periods, because you're eating more calories during that time.

Respectfully, I am not really sure that I follow the logic here. Are you saying that if you Eat right before bed you WILL NOT store more fat but if you eat more during the day you WILL?

I like to look at this much like a Gas tank. You burn more gas going 30 Mph (Normal daily life) than you do when your idling (Sleeping). You burn even more gas when you're going 75 Mph (Exercise).

Mathematically one could argue that if I eat 2,000 Calories between the hours of 8am - 8pm that I'm much better off doing it that way vs. eating the same 2,000 Calories between the hours of 8am - 11pm (with one right before bed). The reason is you're moving and your HR is a lot higher during the day than when you're sleeping. If my typical HR during waking hours is 70 - 80 bpm I will burn more calories during that time than when I'm sleeping and my HR is 50 bpm. Doesn't mean you stop burning calories it just means the calorie burn is much slower when sleeping.
  • ADHDentrepreneur
    Options
    The end all answer is eat if you're hungry and being hungry is good! I just posted about this on my status the other day. This myth is one of the 2000 contributing factors to why the general population has a miserable time getting LEAN (important) not losing WEIGHT(inconsequential.) What "bean" and most people are missing is there is sooooo much more going on than the gas tank analogy. The big picture requires you to understand some basic principles about the metabolism and basic biology. Basic human metabolic processes should be taught in schools by qualified professionals (pharmaceutical companies would hate it) and i'm trying to make it happen. The whole being lean and healthy thing is much easier than many people reading this will believe, and that's fine.
    Sorry for the lengthy response, I'm just passionate about helping people and I do it for a living. I'm learning that most people would rather try to complain the fat away instead of learn to solve the problem.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,237 Member
    Options
    The answer is yes. I have proved it time and time. It's not just about the calories, it's when you eat them. If I front-load my food into the earlier part of the day I lose more weight the next day. If however I have a heavy meal later in the day, the next morning the weight won't have budged. It's a key part of my diet, understanding that fact.

Here is just one link to support this. It's more than calories in and calories out so read before you blast.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/440180-what-are-benefits-of-not-eating-before-bed/

If I have the time between classes I'll look up some research papers that show actual research not broscience about this topic.

I read it and the first thing it says is it has no effect on weight loss. Then later is quotes some guy who wrote a book about metabolism saying the exact opposite. Not really the best of articles seeing as it contradicts itself.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hello.
    I wanted to know peoples opinions on what time to eat.
    Say if you get up at 5am and go to bed at 9pm.So does food eaten in the latter hours really lie on your stomach and turn to fat???.Even if its within your calorie goal for the day??
    Are these myths.Don't eat after 6pm etc etc.
    What do people think???

It's a myth. I literally don't eat my dinner in the evening until 8/9 pm....has never hindered my progress.
  • sandrahulleman
    Options
    No, it regulates your blood sugars through the night and you won't wake up to a very low sugar rate - hence the ups and downs.
  • steph0924
    steph0924 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    The answer is yes. I have proved it time and time. It's not just about the calories, it's when you eat them. If I front-load my food into the earlier part of the day I lose more weight the next day. If however I have a heavy meal later in the day, the next morning the weight won't have budged. It's a key part of my diet, understanding that fact.

Here is just one link to support this. It's more than calories in and calories out so read before you blast.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/440180-what-are-benefits-of-not-eating-before-bed/

If I have the time between classes I'll look up some research papers that show actual research not broscience about this topic.

I read it and the first thing it says is it has no effect on weight loss. Then later is quotes some guy who wrote a book about metabolism saying the exact opposite. Not really the best of articles seeing as it contradicts itself.

Really? What article did you read?
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Really? What article did you read?

I read the livestrong stuff. Interresting thanks
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    no it's a myth unless eating before bed is " midnight snacking" and you are over your calories
  • Jmadd1
    Options
    As long as you are eating something healthy you shd be fine. I prefer to workout late and I need to have something before sleep. Just don't eat fast food or something heavy or soda pop.
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Here's the real question. If you eat at 12:01 am, does that go into the next days calorie allowance?

Mind = blown. :noway:

Oh hell....that's something to think about
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't. Eating more than your body needs makes you fat.

Agreed. Some of these dieting myths are just absurd.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Here's the real question. If you eat at 12:01 am, does that go into the next days calorie allowance?

Mind = blown. :noway:

Oh hell....that's something to think about
    I have horrible working hours so I set my calorie limit on a 24-hour schedule. Midnight starts the next day. Sometimes I'm super hungry at 11:50 and I don't want to cheat so I count down the 10 minutes to midnight. Lol.

And to answer the OP, complete, complete MYTH! I eat whenever I feel darn good and hungry, and I'm losing weight. Finally listening to my body instead of listening to all this crap that society and the media tells us to do is paying off. FREEDOM!! Yay!