Does everyone hate their job this much?

Options

Replies

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, thankfully the answer is no, we do not all hate their jobs so much. In fact, I really like my job (except for the paperwork).

However, I do believe that hating your first job out of college is a right of passage. My first job after my master's degree was doing substance abuse counseling and I HATED it AND my boss. Lasted six whole months.

Might I suggest talking with your employer and telling them how you feel? That you are not challenged & feel you could give more if allowed an opportunity. If you are the valuable player you state you are, they should prefer to keep you and try to find a way to help you in the job satisfaction department.

Good luck.

ETA: Exercise, of course! If helps manage stress because it gets all the feel good chemicals flowing in our brains. Get a dog, they are also shown to reduce stress. Recent studies have shown them to be highly effective with soldiers with PTSD. It is the unconditional love and the calming action of petting them that helps. Take breaks at your desk to do a bit of office yoga (do a search on You Tube). You are so young to be so stressed, just remember to breathe.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, only publicly posting the negative responses to comments and keeping the thank-you's private has made you come off in a negative way to someone reading through this post. It's fairly common on here to see people make a post, ignore anything helpful and just argue everyone they disagree with to no end. Next time, maybe try publicly posting the thank you's and ignoring all the posts you are unhappy about?

As for excuses, you sound miserable at your job and any time someone tries to suggest something about finding a new job or new career you have an answer - it's (was) a great field for jobs, nobody else needs to get a master's to find a job, you're "very" good on paper (you honestly never see yourself in the same light as others), you weren't looking for a promotion but mentioned in your first paragraph that you've asked three times and been denied which gives off the impression that you were, you don't want to go to another field because you don't want to do something you don't like (which you are already). When people misunderstood you, you told them to learn to read. You said most people in school hated you because you were quiet (again, we never see ourselves in the same light as others and why would people hate you for being quiet? Many quiet people are very sweet, funny, and lovely).

I am sorry if the job market is that horrible where you are, but why not try and do something entirely different if you are unhappy? If the rockstars in your field can't find jobs, why not keep it as something you're continually pursuing while doing something else to bide your time? Travel, see the world, get some different and unique life experiences, do volunteer work... I'd never settle for something that made me break into crying fits on a regular basis. Like I said, my university-educated job got monotonous and so I changed it and entirely started over. Just thought of it as a platform to get me where I'm supposed to be. Life's to short to waste your energy being unhappy all the time. Good luck.

you sound very wise!
  • Betsiz17
    Betsiz17 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I understand that you are bored and absolutely wish you could be doing a different job that realizes your full potential. Take a deep breath and take a few minutes to be truly grateful in the moment you are in. Do the job you have to the absolute best that you can every day. Surely, there are more duties you can take on at your current job. If you do your very best each day with a grateful and a what can I do to help attitude, there will surely be doors opening for you - maybe even a promotion at your current employer.

Plus, talk to people. Often times it really is a matter of who you know being able to open a door for you. Join a service organization.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I also skipped a few pages, but from what I've read I am surprised at how negative and mean people have been. But then I really shouldn't be as this is the internet....

I was in a job (my second out of Uni) which I *hated*. There was nothing specifically wrong with it on paper. It paid ok, it was (kind of) in the sector I studied. But I really couldn't stand some of the awful people I worked with, I was bored and under-employed, I wasn't trusted to even write a letter without someone checking it to ensure it was ok to go out to the public... I was bored to tears, frustrated, cried myself to sleep and had a few panic attacks at work.

I applied for a number of jobs (although I was quite selective as I didn't want to go out of the frying pan and into the fire), and got very few interviews. For one job that I was perfectly qualified for, I didn't get an interview. When I rang them and asked for feedback, it turned out that there were over 200 applicants for the job- so many of them would have been better candidates, through their experience, the quality of their application or maybe just having that one specific skill that the employers were looking for.

My dream job came up, I applied and didn't get an interview. I was pretty guttedm but having spent 2 1/2 years looking for jobs, I wasn't particularly surprised. Then, out of the blue I got a call saying that someone had pulled out of the interviews and that I was first on their reserve list. Despite having to put together a presentation in half a day and being the 7th choice- I got the job. 5 years later, I've been promoted and am still happy. Although there are stressful days and bad days, I appreciate I am lucky to have such a great job and work for an organisation that I respect and that respects me.

Those who are replying in the negative have probably not been in your situation- there's a difference between being indifferent about your job and really hating it to the point where it starts to make you ill.

The good news is that you *do* have your whole life ahead of you, and that the right job will come along (or at least a better one!). Yes, the job-climate isn't ideal at the moment, but it's time to get creative. Can you volunteer in the sector you're interested in? Can you do any further study in something you enjoy? Is there any way of gaining extra experience? When you apply for jobs- be a bit more selective in what you apply for and be sure to take the time to tailor your application to the job you want. I do some recruitment in my job, and nothing turns me off more than someone who clearly just wants "A JOB" not "THE JOB" that we're advertising. In addition, it's tempting to badmouth current employers or say " I want this job because I HATE my current job"- this is irrelevent and a turn off, so be careful how you come across!

Try to re-write personal statements afresh so they don't get boring- don't just cut and paste whatever you wrote for the last job, and always get a friend to read it over to ensure it makes sense and sells you well. Nothing worse than lookin at a job app when you can clearly see from someone's past work that they would be good for the job, but they don't make the shortlist (or if they get an interview, don't get the job) because they were incapable of selling their skills.

Thank you!!:flowerforyou: It's very helpful to know people got out of the same situation I'm in.
  • movn4ward
    movn4ward Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A lot of it is the economy. There are tons of people in positions beneath them at the moment because there are more people than jobs at the moment. I do not like my job either, as it is also boring and just plain weird here, but I am thankful to have a paycheck that allows my independence.

The way you will get through this is to focus on what you do have. You have a paycheck, you have your own money, car, etc., and this will serve as padding on your résumé even though it's not the greatest position. I went through the same things: anxiety, crying, even therapy and meds.... and I am still at this job 7 years later - and I'm alive, lol. I wanted to leave after week 3. But here I am. So I deal with it the best I can and believe that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Going through this will strengthen you even though you feel like crap right now. You have to have hope. Remember, it is not your circumstances that will wreck you, but how you decide to deal with them. Find your strength, girl, and remember that things can always, always be worse.. :flowerforyou:

THIS!

It is a matter of changing your perspective at this point, as according to your posting, you've done all you can. You have to accept that you can only change those things over which you have control.

The bright side, IT DOES NOT ALWAYS HAVE TO BE THIS WAY! Don't listen to people who tell you it does. I'm a planner so my answer is to strategize. Map out what you can and cannot do to make your position more interesting. Is there anything you can take upon yourself to do to show initiative or make your job more meaningful to you. Hang in there.

Also, you may want to take up martial arts or something you can really let out your stresses on and/or yoga or tai chi for relaxation. It works!

I think what a lot of older posters are forgetting is that you are young and just starting out. Your perspective will be different even 5 years from now. You're just starting so everything is devastatingly life altering, but hopefully you will get to the place where you realize that most of the things we allow to stress us are not that important. It is a part of growth, stay focused on what you want, don't get discouraged and keep moving forward.
  • TabathaAnn8
    Options
    I also skipped a few pages, but from what I've read I am surprised at how negative and mean people have been. But then I really shouldn't be as this is the internet....

I was in a job (my second out of Uni) which I *hated*. There was nothing specifically wrong with it on paper. It paid ok, it was (kind of) in the sector I studied. But I really couldn't stand some of the awful people I worked with, I was bored and under-employed, I wasn't trusted to even write a letter without someone checking it to ensure it was ok to go out to the public... I was bored to tears, frustrated, cried myself to sleep and had a few panic attacks at work.

I applied for a number of jobs (although I was quite selective as I didn't want to go out of the frying pan and into the fire), and got very few interviews. For one job that I was perfectly qualified for, I didn't get an interview. When I rang them and asked for feedback, it turned out that there were over 200 applicants for the job- so many of them would have been better candidates, through their experience, the quality of their application or maybe just having that one specific skill that the employers were looking for.

My dream job came up, I applied and didn't get an interview. I was pretty guttedm but having spent 2 1/2 years looking for jobs, I wasn't particularly surprised. Then, out of the blue I got a call saying that someone had pulled out of the interviews and that I was first on their reserve list. Despite having to put together a presentation in half a day and being the 7th choice- I got the job. 5 years later, I've been promoted and am still happy. Although there are stressful days and bad days, I appreciate I am lucky to have such a great job and work for an organisation that I respect and that respects me.

Those who are replying in the negative have probably not been in your situation- there's a difference between being indifferent about your job and really hating it to the point where it starts to make you ill.

The good news is that you *do* have your whole life ahead of you, and that the right job will come along (or at least a better one!). Yes, the job-climate isn't ideal at the moment, but it's time to get creative. Can you volunteer in the sector you're interested in? Can you do any further study in something you enjoy? Is there any way of gaining extra experience? When you apply for jobs- be a bit more selective in what you apply for and be sure to take the time to tailor your application to the job you want. I do some recruitment in my job, and nothing turns me off more than someone who clearly just wants "A JOB" not "THE JOB" that we're advertising. In addition, it's tempting to badmouth current employers or say " I want this job because I HATE my current job"- this is irrelevent and a turn off, so be careful how you come across!

Try to re-write personal statements afresh so they don't get boring- don't just cut and paste whatever you wrote for the last job, and always get a friend to read it over to ensure it makes sense and sells you well. Nothing worse than lookin at a job app when you can clearly see from someone's past work that they would be good for the job, but they don't make the shortlist (or if they get an interview, don't get the job) because they were incapable of selling their skills.

This is helpful and constructive!!! There needs to be more people like you with recruitment experience willing to share advice. I think that those of us that are in this boat get to a point where we feel like "ugh, anything but this!" and what you've just said really resonates with me. In the beginning I was applying for dream jobs and now three years later I'm applying for anything that is different. Great advice! Thank you!
  • akaRocque
    akaRocque Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well, I sort of skimmed through this and felt I should add my part to help. Sometimes we can change our mindset and sometimes we can not. If you can not change how you feel yourself, perhaps you should take the advice of others and seek professional help.
    It seems you have been so busy working and not having much fun in your life, or taking time for you. Do you know what makes you happy? Is it being #1? Maybe reach out and help people. Maybe be someone's personal assistant and organizer? Maybe write letters for people (does anyone do that any more?).

Do you take time to smell the roses (old saying)?

Lets see. A few things came to mind and they included: writing for yourself by starting a blog, writing for other people by sharing your knowledge of horses, write a book, read funny books. Offer to be an editor for someone who writes blogs or e-books. Read what people with terminal illnesses are writing about life and what they say you should do to enjoy it. Your hobby should be something you enjoy. I like to write so I have a few different blogs I author. I also read a lot of blogs and leave comments.

I make a bit of extra money with Google Ads on my blogs. I also like to animate and make videos, just get out take a lot of pictures, use a movie maker program that is on your computer and viola you have a YouTube movie. Sooner or later you get views and then you can monetize your account, and maybe if you are lucky get a penny or two a day. It adds up. But it takes time and you can not survive on the money in the USA, so it is a hobby.

Keep your hobby a hobby and your job a means to be able to have your hobby.

Join Fivver (or however it is spelled) and get paid to write for people. Write and send it in to magazines or newspapers and see if you can get published.

Talk to your parents, and let them know that you need to start working less and taking some time for you! I am not sure where you live, but I hope you have some places you can go where you can see some beauty, even at a park. Go watch a little kids ice hockey game, it will make you smile.

Read about great people and how they became great. Thank God for everything, let Him lead you. Ask God for help. Be the best form filler you can be, and if it is mindless, think about the next animation, or video you want to make, or the next book you will write. Maybe a guide for College grads to survive boring jobs while waiting for that golden ticket to show up.

Read Napolean Hill's book, "Think and Grow Rich". I read it in high school, and it has helped me get my thinking right. I am not a millionaire, I am one of the have nots, but I feel rich because I do not have a lot to lose, and I know that what I think and dream today is helping to shape my future. Write down your goals and read them every day. Focusing on negative only brings more negative.

Surround yourself with postiive! Even on a horrible job. Start writing to someone who had to sacrifice everything to join the military and is serving in Afghanistan, or served in a war. Visit a VA hospital, a nursing home. EEKs...I need to stop.

I won't be back to see what is wrong with these ideas. I hope you can get through your difficulties and have a long happy, healthy life. Keep dreaming big and never give up on your dreams. You are on a journey, sometimes the detours are the best part.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump. To respond later.
  • xxthoroughbred
    Options
    Thank you so much, akaRocque!:flowerforyou:

I don't take much time for myself. I don't have friends in the area and money is very tight. But through you and a few other people who have messaged me, I know I need to start doing that.

Would you think it easy to find people to work with (outside of work) without much experience? I've wanted to write for others and other things that you've mentioned, but I always figure I'll be pushed aside for someone with more experience. That, or everyone else in my situation is doing the same thing. Did you have a lot of experience when you started your side activities?

I'll message you, too, since you said you won't be coming back...
  • nilesbollinger
    nilesbollinger Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Ever thought about getting into real estate? It is an amazing and very rewarding job and you can be your own boss. I work for Keller Williams who I think is the best brokerage in the country to work for. If you'd like to chat about it, add me as a friend and send me a message.

Niles

Hi Niles. I've thought of that as an option but know a few girls who went that route and are struggling to sell their houses. I guess the market will be picking up eventually. Have you seen anything similar (new workers coming in and really struggling)?

Keller Williams has amazing systems and processes in place to allow you to be extremely successful if you put the effort into it. I know agents that started less than 2 years ago and are easily making 6 figures. If you'd like to get more info, let me know and I can put you in touch with a local market center in your area. I have found my passion in real estate and I LOVE what I am doing.
  • xxthoroughbred
    Options
    Since there are others in my same position and some of the helpful information I'm getting is coming through private messages, I wanted to share a site someone sent me that is very helpful thus far: http://www.askamanager.org/
  • HeinzPrincess
    Options
    My job is my job. They get my attention from 8:30-5 minus my hour lunch.

My life is my life.

I used to be a lot like you. Then I accepted that my life is far more than what I do. It's just one small component of ME
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    No, not everyone hates their jobs. I sure don't, but I respect that a lot of people can not say the same. As a lot of people say it is the economy right now. For example, my Dad. He's a chemist and was a manager, made great money. Well, Internation Paper decidded to shut down their plant where I am originally from. And he's now making literally half of what he used to working maintence for a prison. Talk about a blow to the ego...and he's 57 years old. And THIS job is the better one after being laid off. He was unemployed for 3 years before manging to find a job as a cook in a restaurant making $9.00 and hour. And he was laid off of 2 other jobs where the companies closed after his job at IP. It took moving from NY to South Carolina to land his job for the State.

Having a college degree does not equal a big paying great job. Most people have to work into a higher paid position unless your coming out of med school/ law school and even then, you still have to work your way up. Back even 20-30 years ago, people didn't get a higher job for a degree, with in reason. It takes time to get experience to work your way up. I think most of us have started lower and built up. It sucks, yes, but I guarentee the experience you will gain even from a job you hate will pay off. And yeah it is hard to find jobs in this economy, but ALWAYS continue to look. No one can hold you to one specific job. I wish you the best, as I've been there. But I can say the job I had when I first moved here to SC SUCKED!! I would be in tears when I got home too...but if it wasn't for that job, I never would have the job I have today, 7 years later, which I love. It took another job to get me here...but it all has contributed.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    My first impression is that if you have submitted over 700 applications, something on your resume must be a little off. Whether it's what is in writing or maybe how it sounds as written.

Also, I know you aren't happy with your job and it's giving you panic attacks, but you have income. For now, until you find something else, I think it's important to focus on the positives you have there.

Bored/ vs not being able to make deadlines
    Income/ vs not making any money
    Living at home/ vs having your own place and not being able to pay bills.
    A boss who is giving you good evaluations/ vs a "blank" boss

I think the reason a lot aren't being exceptionally sympathetic is as you get older you will have more bills, responsiblities, and stress. Being bored at a job sounds like a drop in the bucket compared to what other stress people go through. I'm not trying to say that you don't have stress, but you will need to find out how to manage stress better. As you get older you will gain more responsibilites equaling more stress.

I hope you are able to find what works for you. :)
  • wifealiciousness
    wifealiciousness Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Thank you!!:flowerforyou: It's very helpful to know people got out of the same situation I'm in.

No problem! To be honest, when recruiting you WANT people to do well. No-one enjoys watching an applicant choke, or seeing potential that you can't justify hiring!
  • xxthoroughbred
    Options
    My first impression is that if you have submitted over 700 applications, something on your resume must be a little off. Whether it's what is in writing or maybe how it sounds as written.

Also, I know you aren't happy with your job and it's giving you panic attacks, but you have income. For now, until you find something else, I think it's important to focus on the positives you have there.

Bored/ vs not being able to make deadlines
    Income/ vs not making any money
    Living at home/ vs having your own place and not being able to pay bills.
    A boss who is giving you good evaluations/ vs a "blank" boss

I think the reason a lot aren't being exceptionally sympathetic is as you get older you will have more bills, responsiblities, and stress. Being bored at a job sounds like a drop in the bucket compared to what other stress people go through. I'm not trying to say that you don't have stress, but you will need to find out how to manage stress better. As you get older you will gain more responsibilites equaling more stress.

I hope you are able to find what works for you. :)

Thank you. :flowerforyou:

I was told by my college's career services department that my resume was perfect. After all this, I've (thankfully) stopped believing them. I've been shopping my resume around for advice and completely redid it last night. Hopefully it helps in the long run.:smile:

I also understand that people are in much more stressful situations than I am and are handling it better. It's just frustrating when my student loan payments are 75% of my income and I have trouble paying for things outside of that. But, like you said, I'm very lucky to have income and live at home. It could always be worse. Thanks!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Oh good, I'm glad that you were able to change your resume! :) Maybe it will help! Time will tell, but I wish you the best in finding something that you like. It may not be a dream job, but all of the experience you will be getting along the way will just add to your resume. You need to work your way up with a lot of jobs. Even if you may not like what you are doing now, it's still getting more experience in the job world.

Good luck to you! :)
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    My husband had lots of stress issues with his first job out of university. I never knew if it was real or just everyday work stress that he needed to suck up and deal with. It took 3 years of looking and one year where he was looking everywhere. After moving across the country, I'm able to say it was his work environment. It took a year to realize that people at his new job were being nice and not setting him up to be screwed over. He still has panic nightmares about working at that first job.

Figure out what you like and don't like about your job. Figure out what you are willing to do to change (pay, location...). There are different levels of hating your job.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I know so many who would be happy and grateful to have my job so I'm not trying to sound like the "entitled youth" of .

Well, you do.

Get over yourself. My first job out of college was in the medical records office of a doctor's office. I was 30 years old before I started making "real" money and you probably already make more than I make now.

Get over it. Pay your dues the way the rest of us did.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I know so many who would be happy and grateful to have my job so I'm not trying to sound like the "entitled youth" of .

Well, you do.

Get over yourself. My first job out of college was in the medical records office of a doctor's office. I was 30 years old before I started making "real" money and you probably already make more than I make now.

Get over it. Pay your dues the way the rest of us did.

I agree.

I suggest having kids. That's what a lot of us have.

Work yourself to the bone in a thankless job, then you want to come home and unwind, but you have to make bottles and change diapers and watch Dr McStfuffinns if you want your kid to go to bed. Then work won't seem so bad. you will be come a shallow hull of a human being and fit nicely in the cogs of society.
This discussion has been closed.