Does everyone hate their job this much?

Options

Replies

• xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I know so many who would be happy and grateful to have my job so I'm not trying to sound like the "entitled youth" of .

Well, you do.

Get over yourself. My first job out of college was in the medical records office of a doctor's office. I was 30 years old before I started making "real" money and you probably already make more than I make now.

Get over it. Pay your dues the way the rest of us did.

You completely ignored the entire basis of my post, but thanks.

And you have no idea whether I make 8/hr or 30, so please stop making assumptions.
  • xxthoroughbred
    Options
    I know so many who would be happy and grateful to have my job so I'm not trying to sound like the "entitled youth" of .

Well, you do.

Get over yourself. My first job out of college was in the medical records office of a doctor's office. I was 30 years old before I started making "real" money and you probably already make more than I make now.

I agree.

I suggest having kids. That's what a lot of us have.

Work yourself to the bone in a thankless job, then you want to come home and unwind, but you have to make bottles and change diapers and watch Dr McStfuffinns if you want your kid to go to bed. Then work won't seem so bad. you will be come a shallow hull of a human being and fit nicely in the cogs of society.

Clearly! So many people who have responded here are so obviously unhappy with themselves and their lives that they have to bring others down instead of offering constructive advice.

Maybe it's not because of having kids, though. Maybe they need to get laid?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Well, you do.

You completely ignored the entire basis of my post, but thanks.

And you have no idea whether I make 8/hr or 30, so please stop making assumptions.

I read your post. You are receiving great praise from your boss and pomises that eventually you will move up in the company. You've been there a year while others have probably been there a lot longer.

You say you're bored and upset about not getting promoted. I assume over people with more seniority and experience since that's usually how it works.

And because of those things, you are in terrible hysterics. You will not make it very far in life if that's all it takes for you to be hyperventilating and dreading every single day.

I gave great advice. Suck it up. Pay your dues. You aren't entitled to anything you seem to think you are.

And I agree about the resume. Seven hundred and only three calls? Something about your resume is bad or you're applying for jobs you aren't qualified for. I have instances in my job that require me to work with a team to hire people and 99% of the resumes are rejected for those reasons. You're doing something wrong, which might very well be that you think you're qualified for things you aren't simply because you graduated from college.

I had to (thankfully briefly) work with someone like you recently. I wanted to strangle her every day.
  • xxthoroughbred
    Options
    I read your post. You are receiving great praise from your boss and pomises that eventually you will move up in the company. You've been there a year while others have probably been there a lot longer.

You say you're bored and upset about not getting promoted. I assume over people with more seniority and experience since that's usually how it works.

And because of those things, you are in terrible hysterics. You will not make it very far in life if that's all it takes for you to be hyperventilating and dreading every single day.

I gave great advice. Suck it up. Pay your dues. You aren't entitled to anything you seem to think you are.

And I agree about the resume. Seven hundred and only three calls? Something about your resume is bad or you're applying for jobs you aren't qualified for. I have instances in my job that require me to work with a team to hire people and 99% of the resumes are rejected for those reasons. You're doing something wrong, which might very well be that you think you're qualified for things you aren't simply because you graduated from college.

I had to (thankfully briefly) work with someone like you recently. I wanted to strangle her every day.

1. I never asked for a promotion. It was a lateral move.
    2. The people getting promotions have been here for less time than myself.
    3. I really don't care about a promotion. I care about an engaging job where I do real work.
    4. Yes, I apply to jobs I'm not qualified for. Most of what's out there are either internships for students or require 3-5 years of experience...hence my Wendy's, grocery store and Hooters applications! I've been told by many people to still apply to what I'm not qualified for because there aren't many options out there for grads.

I've been in much worse situations. Not job-related, but I've been through *kitten* like everyone else. I'm not tucking my tail between my legs because I thought the real world would be sunshine and roses. It's this particular job. This one situation. I used to drive 3.5 hours a day to my old job that didn't pay enough for my student loans and gas, and I LOVED it. Some of the people were awful to deal with, but it was a great job. This is just a different situation.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Is this how all people are? Miserable and having panic attacks all the time and not caring about anything else because they are so focused on getting out of their job and into a new one? Everyone tells me this is just how it is. I don't mean to sound like a spoiled brat but I literally feel like I'm going to die in five years because of this position!! Please tell me this isn't how the rest of my life will be!

um no.

when you become so obsessed with how awful and unfit something is for you, and its physical effects on you- those negative side effects are going to bloom. Your recognition of them will nurture these issues until people can just feel them vibing off of you. And this will prevent any good jobs from coming your way in the whole karmic flow of things.

Think of it this way.

Imagine jobs as elligible males in your area of town or your city or whatever. Not all of them appeal to your preferences but they are all there, regardless. Now - imagine you really want to fall in love. Now imagine that you want to fall in love so badly that you become heartsick and depressed and lonely and panic attacky about being alone and depressed and heartsick and its starting to kill you. Those elligle males floating through your universe are going to pick up on that and STEER CLEAR.

Its the same with finding new work. WHAT you focus on is what seeps out of you into the impression you give off. Keep focusing on how your current job and lack of options is destroying your happiness and that is going to remain the status quo.

Focus on the fact that you do have a job, and that you have money coming in and thats a luxury that youll have while you take the time to figure out how to get yourself into a badass job. (Lots of us have badass jobs that we dont hate- I would have sex with my job if it had the right equipment, im talking foreplay, *kitten*, all of it).

Instead of looking for a job in a certain field, try looking for jobs at certain companies where you can move laterally once you are comfortable because youre in a happier place.

Instead of looking for a new job, spend some time coming up with a plan and a list of what makes a healthy environment for you to work best in and go look for that. WHILE you have the added advantage of a current paycheck.

Yeah?

No self fulfilling prophecies... just endless open opportunities. Dont say IVE APPLED TO 700 POSITIONS! say... Im a picky btch and I'll get the best one ever, just WATCH ME *drops mic*
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Imagine jobs as elligible males in your are of town or your city or whatever. Not all of them appeal to your preferences but they are all there, regardless. Now - imagine you really want to fall in love. Now imagine that you want to fall in love so badly that you become heartsick and depressed and lonely and panic attacky about being alone and depressed and heartsick and its starting to kill you. Those elligle males floating through your universe are going to pick up on that and STEER CLEAR.

Its the same with finding new work. WHAT you focus on is what seeps out of you into the impression you give off. Keep focusing on how your current job and lack of options is destroying your happiness and that is going to remain the status quo.
    I love this metaphor, you have a beautiful way with words :flowerforyou:
  • xxthoroughbred
    Options
    Instead of looking for a job in a certain field, try looking for jobs at certain companies where you can move laterally once you are comfortable because youre in a happier place.

Instead of looking for a new job, spend some time coming up with a plan and a list of what makes a healthy environment for you to work best in and go look for that. WHILE you have the added advantage of a current paycheck.

Yeah?

No self fulfilling prophecies... just endless open opportunities. Dont say IVE APPLED TO 700 POSITIONS! say... Im a picky btch and I'll get the best one ever, just WATCH ME *drops mic*

That's great. :happy: Thanks!!!
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    Very rare is it that you step off the college campus and into your dream job. This is true even when the economy is good, but it is especially true in a down economy. I graduated in 1996 (man, I'm getting old) during a much better economy than we have now. My fresh-out-of-college resume could stand up against any recent graduate - very near the top of the entire class, the very top of two departments, academic awards, two very impressive internships, etc.

Do you know what that got me? A low-paying job at the very bottom of the totem pole. It was in the industry I wanted to be in, but was about as far away as possible from the job I wanted to do in that industry. I did not like the job one bit. It bored me. It stifled my creativity so much that I was exhausted at the end of every day. But I came to work and did that job to the best of my ability for four years before I got my foot in the door of the department I wanted to be in. A department I have now run for the last decade.

Because of those first four years I have a greater appreciation for the position I have now. It wasn't handed to me on a silver platter just because I had a college degree and an impressive list of internships and awards. When I am looking to hire someone these days, with all else being even, I am much more likely to hire someone who has spent that time working hard in a position they may have been overqualified for over someone fresh out of school with an impressive resume. In my experience, they tend to appreciate the job more, work harder, and are more teachable. So keep your head up, a few years of this may be exactly what someone is looking for and may just turn out to be what eventually lands you a more desirable position over someone else.

During those first four years, I found things to do outside of work that kept my mind engaged and my creative juices flowing. It worked wonders on the stress and enabled me to head back to work each morning without that sense of dread. I was a young, married guy with little money, but I found things to do that were cheap or free. Many communities have a lot of free educational workshops. I took numerous free creative writing and graphic design workshops that I could have taught with my college degrees, but they gave me something to do besides stress about going to work the next day. I took a couple of free cooking classes. I bought a beat up guitar for $25 from a pawn shop and made an unsuccessful attempt to teach myself to play. The point is, there are things out there to do that can help relieve your stress without breaking the bank.

All of that said, life is short and it's not worth it to spend every day of it miserable. Ideally, you can find a way to tolerate your current job until you land that job you desire. But if you absolutely can't make it work, there will never be a better time to cut ties and move in a new direction. It's much easier to do when you are young and unattached than when you are older and have the pressures of a family, a mortgage, etc. Best of luck to you. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Very well said!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I took me a year and a half to find a decent position when I graduated 3 years back. Had to deal with my fair share of boredom as well. I too was very dedicated in school and felt like the work I'm getting in real life is a bit below my level. Keep trying, don't give up. And if you can't find a position where you live, you might need to buck up and move. You've only been there for 3 months, hardly any company promotes that fast. Give it time and have patience. I'm finding the corporate world has a lot more red tape and politics, so things move slower than in college. Take on any extra projects you can in the meantime, volunteer yourself for harder work. Once they realize you can handle it you will have the opposite reaction- too much stress from too much work :)
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    You should learn to deal with your stress better
    Try lifting heavy weights

this and you also have to gain experience. try staying for 2 years and then leave. employers look at how long you stay at a job too.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    forget all this "deal w/ your stress better" bull.

You're young, your ambitious, if the world isn't providing the job you want then CREATE IT. You control your destiny. find a way to get fired so you can get unemployment and then start working on creating the job you want. Good luck!
  • xxthoroughbred
    Options
    I took me a year and a half to find a decent position when I graduated 3 years back. Had to deal with my fair share of boredom as well. I too was very dedicated in school and felt like the work I'm getting in real life is a bit below my level. Keep trying, don't give up. And if you can't find a position where you live, you might need to buck up and move. You've only been there for 3 months, hardly any company promotes that fast. Give it time and have patience. I'm finding the corporate world has a lot more red tape and politics, so things move slower than in college. Take on any extra projects you can in the meantime, volunteer yourself for harder work. Once they realize you can handle it you will have the opposite reaction- too much stress from too much work :)

I've been at this job for about 14 months and a few others before that.

Thanks for the suggestions.:flowerforyou:
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Longboarding is always fun! Relatively inexpensive depending on the board you get.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say "oh your just in a bad job and it'll get better!" but I'd be lying. I'm a registered nurse, put myself through school. This was what I always wanted to do? I hate it. I hate everything about it. I can do it with no problem, but would rather be doing anything. Can't leave because of money. Find a way to deal. Like guy said "lift heavy weights". Sadly I am slowing wishing my life away 12 hours at a time. :)
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I feel like things have been stuck in place for a lot of people for a long time (as in, a few years). My partner also lives hundreds of miles away, and him trying to drive to see me many weekends results in everyone being exhausted and stressed, so I can relate to that. My job has been on automatic pilot for a few years, since my elderly boss got more ill and I ran the place with no guidance (a law firm, and I am not a lawyer: HMM), and now since he passed away, his executor has not been so helpful (like, paying me or telling me what needs to be done). So, what I do is: do all the work necessary for the job, plus read other materials that do interest me, in the psychology of finance and all, and I just started working on an online accredited MBA, since if I am going to stand around being underemployed for a few more months at least, I may as well get another degree out of it, plus i started a little music publishing company since I know a lot of folks in the business and get together with them often enough that it is a fun thing for me, even if it isn't a moneymaker. I sing in a jazz and rock choir once a week too, to make friends and keep up my skills and stay in the music business even if stuck in boonie Vermont now. Maybe you can find stuff to do outside of work to keep your interests and optimism up, since there is all the new evidence about how happiness really helps get somewhere in business plus just helps in health etc. (new research through Seligman at UPenn and Achor at Harvard etc.) Plus, I save every friggin penny I get, other than paying bills and eliminating debt, so I don't feel stuck and hopeless: you can be stuck NOW, but it won't last forever. Good luck with your situation.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say "oh your just in a bad job and it'll get better!" but I'd be lying. I'm a registered nurse, put myself through school. This was what I always wanted to do? I hate it. I hate everything about it. I can do it with no problem, but would rather be doing anything. Can't leave because of money. Find a way to deal. Like guy said "lift heavy weights". Sadly I am slowing wishing my life away 12 hours at a time. :)

I find that when I feel like this, trravelling to a third work country can really put things back into perspective. There is something to saying, "STFU". I think about my grandpa in thimes like this. Old people are more grounded. My grandpa would just say, you agreed to do the work for the amount they pay, right? And they are paying you, right? Then, what's the problem. Do you job and shut up. If you aren't happy, look for new work in your time off." Simple.
  • basil77
    Options
    Sit down and do a career plan. Do a google search with Myers Briggs (the free one) or anything else. They'll ask you to select the top 5 values. What that means is that you identify your top 5 values. The things that are most important to you as you go to work everyday. What drives you? Money, working with people, doing the right thing for people, serving people, understanding deals and how people do business, numbers and understanding how those numbers drive results? What's important to you. Having a family, working and getting recognized for it.

Then identify your personality profile. Using personality tests that ask extrovert/introvert, intuitive/logical, judging/feeling etc.
    Then do your personal life. How much are you willing to do to get there? Are you willing to move to a place with crummy weather and lower costs to get to where you want to go? If not, no biggie. Just be honest and you will find your way.

Create a vision of where you want to be in 2 years, 5 years, maybe 10 years if you can envision that. Keep that picture in your head and if necessary print out those values and keep them somewhere where you will see them all the time.

If it makes you feel any better, career paths take a winding path. You never really have an end point. You just keep doing different things. The most important thing is that you are constantly engaged and active. Don't just become apathetic. You don't sound like that kind of person anyway. Good luck
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I actually love what I do and have great perks with my job:) There will always be something at every job that you don't enjoy but the good far out weighs the bad for me:) Healthcare is a great field to be in. The health care reform may be changing all of that though.......so........time will tell. For now.......I'm happy at work:)
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I admit that i haven't read through every response so it may have been said... Have you thought about doing a blog on some topic that interests you in your spare time? Try to get some followers, get it recognized. I am not a blogger so have absolutely no experience in it but it sounds like it could be a good fit for english and marketing. There are so many social media positions popping up that it might be the way to go.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Where are my excuses at? I've been messaging the helpful people and getting even more help from them. You know what assuming does. Sorry for fighting back at the people who wrongly assume things about me!

Where did you get your English degree?
This discussion has been closed.