Eating over 900 calories too hard?!

Options

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Yes I can get Nutella (15 bucks for 26oz!). And I agree I could just have peanuts and. Other nuts instead of the peanut butter I can't get.

On other topic I'm realizing I live in a totally different culture when it comes to food, than most of you. That's why my breakfast issue sounded like an excuse to someone. I don't get in my car and drive to school. I stand (no vacant seats) for 2 hours in a train and then a bus like cows going to the slaughter. I can't have breakfast while commuting. But I know breakfast is the biggest meal in English speaking countries, then you don't pay much attention to lunch which is my biggest meal when I finally get home at 3. And you probably have dinner at my teatime while I have dinner at 10 or 11 pm. My point is we live in very different places. Our eating habits are very different. I don't have any excuses.

Still sounds like an excuse to me. just being honest. If you can drink coffee you can drink milk instead.BETTER YET...a smoothie..blend a banana, milk, and nuts and that's 200-400 calories.

If you can walk between classes you can eat an energy bar between classes. It is an excuse.
  • juuliv
    juuliv Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes I can get Nutella (15 bucks for 26oz!). And I agree I could just have peanuts and. Other nuts instead of the peanut butter I can't get.

On other topic I'm realizing I live in a totally different culture when it comes to food, than most of you. That's why my breakfast issue sounded like an excuse to someone. I don't get in my car and drive to school. I stand (no vacant seats) for 2 hours in a train and then a bus like cows going to the slaughter. I can't have breakfast while commuting. But I know breakfast is the biggest meal in English speaking countries, then you don't pay much attention to lunch which is my biggest meal when I finally get home at 3. And you probably have dinner at my teatime while I have dinner at 10 or 11 pm. My point is we live in very different places. Our eating habits are very different. I don't have any excuses.

Still sounds like an excuse to me. just being honest. If you can drink coffee you can drink milk instead.BETTER YET...a smoothie..blend a banana, milk, and nuts and that's 200-400 calories.

If you can walk between classes you can eat an energy bar between classes. It is an excuse.

Hi! I do have an energy bar or two if I'm very hungry, between classes, so at around 10. I love shakes and have a lot especially during the summer as it's easier to get a huge variety of fruits. In the afternoon (tea time, around 6 or 7) I try to drink chocolate milk instead of coffee again.

Someone asked me before- yes I love going out dancing and although it's not proper work out I think its fantastic to get you moving.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options

There are lots of people with very fixed ideas on the right way to eat here. Not everyone thinks breakfast is the most important meal of the day, or even that it's necessary - even people in the US. If you're finding you're full of energy and healthy with no breakfast, there is no need to suddenly introduce it into your lifestyle. Plenty of people don't have breakfast and are healthy on it. However, as I said earlier, I think it's more important to focus on your health than on your weight, because if you are at your optimum health, your weight will become optimum, and you don't yet know what your optimum weight is, as it's different for everyone. With such an intense daily routine as you have, I would be focusing on ways to increase your energy and health. Eat healthy, nutritious, natural foods that give you energy. Add strength exercises to your routine - even small ones that take a couple of minutes will make a difference.

I have been 100lb before. But it wasn't a decision to lose weight to become that weight - I just was that weight. It was my natural weight at that time in my life, but it wasn't my optimum weight. When I became healthier, I gained a bit of weight, and 115lb was much healthier for me, and gave me much more energy. No one can possibly say what is the right weight for you, because every body is different. But you also can't really know either - you can only focus on being healthy and full of energy and seeing what weight your body becomes. It is very important to look after your health, especially when you have a lifestyle that could easily deplete your energy.
  • juuliv
    Options

There are lots of people with very fixed ideas on the right way to eat here. Not everyone thinks breakfast is the most important meal of the day, or even that it's necessary - even people in the US. If you're finding you're full of energy and healthy with no breakfast, there is no need to suddenly introduce it into your lifestyle. Plenty of people don't have breakfast and are healthy on it. However, as I said earlier, I think it's more important to focus on your health than on your weight, because if you are at your optimum health, your weight will become optimum, and you don't yet know what your optimum weight is, as it's different for everyone. With such an intense daily routine as you have, I would be focusing on ways to increase your energy and health. Eat healthy, nutritious, natural foods that give you energy. Add strength exercises to your routine - even small ones that take a couple of minutes will make a difference.

I have been 100lb before. But it wasn't a decision to lose weight to become that weight - I just was that weight. It was my natural weight at that time in my life, but it wasn't my optimum weight. When I became healthier, I gained a bit of weight, and 115lb was much healthier for me, and gave me much more energy. No one can possibly say what is the right weight for you, because every body is different. But you also can't really know either - you can only focus on being healthy and full of energy and seeing what weight your body becomes. It is very important to look after your health, especially when you have a lifestyle that could easily deplete your energy.

Thank you. I do agree that health and feeling good is more important than a number. I just had to decide on a number to srtart on MFP. I mentioned it and most people went crazy thinking it was too low. I'm not dying to be 100 lbs. I just want to feel good about myself and feel healthier.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    From a "trouble getting enough calories" perspective, breakfast is very helpful. All else being equal, it's just easier to eat more calories in a day when you eat more often. The days I struggle to reach my calorie goal are usually the days I have skipped a meal.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

Sorry for any mistakes I may have made. English is obviously not my first language.

Thanks melodyg you certainly have a point there.

In some major cities, it is a cattle chute! what sources of affordable foods do you have? you can private message me if you want and I can help you with cooking tips if you wish.
  • juuliv
    Options

Sorry for any mistakes I may have made. English is obviously not my first language.

Thanks melodyg you certainly have a point there.

In some major cities, it is a cattle chute! what sources of affordable foods do you have? you can private message me if you want and I can help you with cooking tips if you wish.

Well, it depends on what kind of food we're talking about. Everything imported like Nutella won't be affordable. Where I live, what's most common to eat is meat, lots of it, pasta, pizza, and other dough and cheese dishes you may not have heard of, well fruits specially during the summer, avocados during spring.. I don't eat much junk food (burguers. etc), and I quit soda three years ago. We don't add ketchup to food like I've noticed in the US, haha! Message me so I can tell you more, I think you were aiming at a range of food in specific.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Thank you sobmch everybody! I've never gotten so many replies this fast on a forum. Well I am 5'1''. Although I realize I'm not overweight, I think for being so young I should be not only skinnier but living a healthier life. Since I hit puberty I haven't been able to wear a skirt in public.
    Sadly I can't buy peanut butter as I'm not from the US but all the other advice is great. Thank you.
    They don't sell peanut butter in other counties? I have a problem eating enough calories myself, but peanut at least gets me closer to my goal.
  • cjsgrimlin
    Options
    OK i don't want to sound demeaning but, your 18 you have a computer (apparently) and internet. You must have some form of money (iternet wouldnt be here) So anyone enterprising enough could ORDER peanut butter no matter if it was available in your country. I know it may not be as easy, but doable.

As for your weight, your goal may be a bit small but then again, my sister in law is that size. I just wanna say she looks better at 115 than she did at 100.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I think if you're not exercising, it would be good to start. You will feel more confident in your body. Anything that shapes your body such as Pilates or weight lifting.
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    OP- I just want to reiterate that it is being HEALTHY for YOU that is important, and not the number you may see on a scale.

I weighed about 115 pounds at 18 and was 5'7''. It wasn't by choice. I just had a very high metabolism and wasn't gaining weight. I was HEALTHY, just very thin. It worked for me. As my body changed though, I filled out more. I've found that the right weight for me is about 130-135 pounds (I'm still 5'7'').

I gain my weight in my hips and thighs. Even 5-10 pounds is very noticeable. Two years ago I had thyroiditis in it's hypo-active phase and gained about 20 pounds in a matter of months. I shot up to 151 pounds. I do not feel healthy or look good at 151 pounds. I lost 16 pounds (unintentionally) when my thyroiditis went hyper-active and was finally diagnosed WITH the thyroiditis after passing out in a sandwich shop. (That was fun.) The thyroiditis has since subsided and I'm back to dealing with my weight on my own, without my thyroid being crazy. I'm back up to 142 pounds and aiming to get back down to the 130-135 range.

MY POINT: Everyone is different. When I was 18, 115 pounds worked for me. Now at 24, it doesn't. I would focus more on what is healthy for YOU and not the size of your clothes or the number on the scale. I'm not suggesting that is the case, I'm just speaking from experience that when I've gained and lost weight, it's hard not to focus on the numbers.

Like others, I'd suggest talking to a doctor about what a healthy weight is for you. If it's 100 pounds, then aim for it. If it's 110 pounds, aim for that. Just remember to stay healthy.

PS- I can't imagine commuting 2 hours for school! Props to you! Feel free to add me, I LOVE learning about other cultures :) It's easy to forget how the rest of the world doesn't live like Americans live.
  • TheMommyWifeLife
    TheMommyWifeLife Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Frozen yogurt, fruits, veggies, milk, etc!
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Grab 20 almonds as you walk out the door..eat them as you walk to the bus. 140 cals right there.

Problem solved.

Also, an 18 year old who says she can;t wear skirts rings all sorts of body image alarms bells for me. Get help, please.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    eat 1200 calories, but work out your extra calories instead of taking it from your diet. So if you go to the gym and burn 1000 calories, you can actually cut more calories but still be within a healthy range. Like 1700 is my minumum calories healthy range(which is a 700 calorie deficit) But if i want to loose lots of weight fast, I will work out 1000-1200 calories and eat 2000-2100 calorie which is a 1400-1500 deficit , but still in healthy range. Now you just have to find the time.
  • namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that adding in avocado, dairy, and nuts is an easy way to boost calories.

I also wanted to suggest that it may be easier for you to just focus on increasing activity/strength training than trying to limit calories. I'm saying this as someone who is just over 5' and was just over 100 pounds in college... and thought I needed to lose weight. I realize now (when I unfortunately DO have lots of weight to lose!) that what I really needed to do back then was to learn how to eat healthier and to focus on exercise/toning. I probably would have ended up weighing more... but been smaller and in much better shape! Just something to think on... I am sure there are some people on here who can help with that as well. I know I have seen some amazing pics during my time here of ladies who have not lost weight but lost a lot of inches/gained muscle simply by upping exercise.
    Yes, I think you may be confusing a need to lose weight with a need to tone up and convert fat to muscle. After all a person 116 lb with say 30% body fat will look bigger than 116 lb with 25% body fat - have you checked your body fat? That is generally more telling than weight when it comes down to it.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    100 lb is NOT unreasonable for a person who is very petite. At 5'2" and an extremely tiny build (narrow hips and ribs, small hands, feet, wrists, and ankles), I appear very healthy at 100lb. I appear overweight at 120lb. Both are considered within "healthy" range for my height.

It's very difficult for a petite person to be thin. There is a fine line between eating enough to be nutritionally healthy and eating little enough to lose the extra inches that very few pounds show as.

Average-to-large people do not understand how difficult this is for small people and need to stop being hateful. Every person comes with their own hurdles to overcome. A lifelong obese person has to deal with their food addiction. A much-below-average-size person has to deal with gaining weight on what a "normal" person would lose weight on.

Don't be a ****.

I totally agree while it seems low 100 lbs might be reasonable for someone 5'2" who has a very small frame. I also think people are forgetting 18 year olds generally aren't all the way "filled out". But with that said I would like to encourage the OP to eat at least 1200 calories (especially breakfast). You can do this and still lose weight. I also think that we shouldn't judge people big or small ( for instance saying someone is obese because they have an eating problem is as uncool as calling people on the small side anorexic). I think good advice has already been given so I'll just say good luck.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I don't mind getting answers that are "not nice". I appreciate all of your advice. You're helping m to realize my goal may be too low. I'm going to really consider it. I swear I'm not going for the skin and bones look. I used to very skinny naturally. My mom is very skinny too.
    As for my breakfast and routine I basically only have coffee with milk and sugar before I leave home since I have to wake up at 5am and travel 2 hours to my university. Then at 10 am I have some kind of snack. I really don't have much time to work out.

It's good to know that there are people out there with the same problem who understand
    I hope you are aware that your bones are still growing at your age and if young girls eat 800 calories a day, you may be losing bone mass density. You keep that up and calcium supplementation nor estrogen therapy may not replace the bone mass you lose due to chronic calorie restriction of that magnitude.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism sounds screwed up if it's that easy for you to stay under 900 calories a day. You need more than that to give your body the nutrients it needs (supplements will NOT help here) and energy to fuel your day to day activities. How do you fix it? By eating more, even when you are not hungry. If you get too full eating more during a meal, snack throughout the day. Eventually you should get to a point where it will be easy for you to eat over 1,200 simply because you're hungry, and your body will thank you for it.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I have lived all over the world and never had a problem finding calorie dense foods like nuts, spreads, or cheeses. Its very easy to up your calories, have some toast with your morning coffee. You said you dont pack food because its too crowded on the train, well, a handful of nuts and maybe a piece of hard cheese should fit into your backpack without comprising space. Those 2 little changes right there can add 350 cals without any effort.
  • Louiseisme
    Options
    I just discussed what I should weigh with my physician. He told be 114lbs for the first 60" of height and 10lbs for each inch over that is the beginning basics of determining a healthy weight he told me at 5'1.5" 130 would be a good place.