Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Since you're also a PT I have a question in the area of working out. Is walking beneficial. As in long slow cardio walking? I am in my 40s, I want to lose fat and weight. I am also doing circuits for 20 min with small weights, high reps mixed with cardio. I am about to start weight training April 1st, but I love walking. Am I wasting my time on it? Enjoying it is beside the point, I have very little free time so I don't want to spend it doing something which won't benefit me. I suppose the circuits for 20 are enough to work my heart? Or no?

Again, at this time, my main focus is weight and fat loss.

Would you recommend losing fat before lifting to build muscle? I need to do both, but I heard I can't be in a deficit and build muscle at the same time. That said, should I knock out the weight loss by going in a focused deficit and THEN build muscle in a few months?

Here's my recommendation for optimal fat loss and change in body composition.

1. Lifting weights, heavy, with the goal to progress 2-5 times per week. Beginners can go less, advanced will need to train more.

2. Aerobics in the form of interval training. Intervals are more effective at fat loss than steady state cardio.

3. Active lifestyle such as walking, playing sports, etc.

I've listed the importance in that order.

Here's the thing: do what you ENJOY and what works for you. All forms of movement and exercise are steps in the right direction and will help increase your calorie deficit. Try to adopt things that you will keep up with for the rest of your life. That's really the bottom line.
  • terlyn20
    terlyn20 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi there. Thanks for taking the time to help out us MFP-ers :happy:

I'm a 28yo female, 5'9" and 153 pounds. I am trying to get to 145. It feels impossible. I would like to lose this weight as quickly as (safely) possible.

My TDEE is 1,800 calories (I don't really exercise and I have a desk job), so in order to lose 2 pounds per week I would have to eat 800 calories per day (1,000 calories per day deficit). But, I have always been told not to go below 1,200 calories (starvation mode, slowing the metabolism, et al).

Is 1,200 truly the minimum, or can I eat below that for a month or so to lose the weight? Then I suppose I would slowly add calories in to bring myself to maintenance.

Even if it's safe, would it work? Sometimes things that work on paper don't happen in practice!

There is no 1200 calorie minimum. 2 pounds of fat loss per week is very aggressive, so you would have to eat very low calories to achieve that. I generally recommend to set a range for 1-2 lbs per week, and do a moderate deficit of 10-20% lower than your maintenance caloric needs. See how you feel at 1400, 1200, and 1000 calories before you cut to 800. Give each range a few weeks to adapt.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Oh god not this guy again.. *smh*

Why? I imagine a lot of people here can't afford the services of a dietitian. I've found mine to be invaluable, so I'm glad to know that others are being given the opportunity to ask questions of someone with qualifications and experience in the field.

Great thread, OP. I know your reason for engaging with users here is not entirely altruistic, but that doesn't make the advice you give any less helpful.

Oh it would be great advise if half of it wasn't dangerous. Telling people to deliberately under eat without knowing anything about them. Telling breastfeeding moms its OK if you don't eat?? He's just here to try and pick up more people to pay him for his 'insights'.

There are a million resources here who have proven how to safely lose weight - people who have lost hundreds of pounds and written amazing articles that explain everything and yet for some reason people just keep going for the 'easy' answers and people like this guy are always willing to make a buck off of it. You want advice that works? look here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
    its free. Ask people like helloitsdan, heybales, sidesteel, Sarauk2sf - join groups, educate yourself.

First of all, you're over exaggeration my recommendations and using straw-man arguments. I never said it was ok for breastfeeding moms to just not eat at all.

Second of all, I'm not doing any kind of direct promotion of my services. You're not allowed to do that on the forums. Plus, I'm just trying to help people because this is what I enjoy doing. I'm passionate about nutrition, so this is actually fun for me. I'm not pushing any sort of products or services, just trying to be a resource.

And finally, if you disagree with my recommendations, that's fine. If you want to actually add something to the conversation, present some peer reviewed research to support your claims, and we can discuss it. Please provide us with the research you are citing that overweight or obese individuals losing weight on a large caloric deficit while still maintaining micronutrient adequacy are harming their body's in the time it takes them from the start of their lifestyle changes to the point where they reach a healthy goal weight. I'll look forward to seeing your links, and if I'm wrong, I'll be happy to change my future recommendations. I'm more interested in helping people than being right, so I'll be happy to admit that I made a mistake.
  • kxlly
    kxlly Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you!
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    what's your thoughts on zigzag dieting or carb cycling??
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi, this is really nice of you!
    Im 41 yrs old.
    weight: 166-168
    height: 5'7"
    goal weight: 150
    Body fat: 36.3%...(not sure if this is accurate)

I had been eating 1200 calories & below since the first of Jan. Also have been doing Tabata 30 mins (4 days a week), walk, eliptical, etc. on the 5th day...some of the Tabata classes we use light weights with cardio. I try two days a week to lift heavy and do 5 reps/ 3 sets. I was not losing any weight at all. At the end of Feb. everyone suggested I up my calories so I did. I tried to get 1300/1400. I lost 3 lbs. Now I havent lost anything in 2 or 3 wks. I have been eating a few more calories in hopes it would continue to help me lose. I have been eating much cleaner and even the days I dont eat as clean I still dont go over 1600/1700. Not sure what to do...
    I stand all day at work. Im a hair stylist. I consider myself active. I usually have Sundays as my lazy day. Please help me! Im so confused about how many calories I need and to be able to lose weight. I try to get close to 100 grams of protein and over that on some days.
    I have always starved myself to lose weight but of course I always gained it back. I want to lose but have a not so starving diet and a diet I can live with. Starving hasnt even worked this time.
    My heart rate is usually 180 during the tabata workout.

I feel as if I raise my calories up then down...what do you recommend my calorie intake be?
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options
    Informative thread - thanks Tony!
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    what's your thoughts on zigzag dieting or carb cycling??

There's no special benefit to it unless you just prefer to do it that way. A regular old calorie cut will do the trick.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    What about drinking alcohol? Does it really slow down fat loss? Is it okay, as long as it fits in your calories? I'm wondering about saving up calories for a good drunk on the weekend? :drinker: Edit to add: Yes I am aware there are other health issues related to binge drinking, I'm just really curious about it's effect on weight loss.
  • helcart01
    helcart01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Great thread. I am a RN with some understanding of nutrition but really love what you are doing. Thanks I hope to learn good information from you!
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Oh I've seen your posts on here, but didn't realize you were from my area! DFW high five!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Oh god not this guy again.. *smh*

Why? I imagine a lot of people here can't afford the services of a dietitian. I've found mine to be invaluable, so I'm glad to know that others are being given the opportunity to ask questions of someone with qualifications and experience in the field.

Great thread, OP. I know your reason for engaging with users here is not entirely altruistic, but that doesn't make the advice you give any less helpful.

Oh it would be great advise if half of it wasn't dangerous. Telling people to deliberately under eat without knowing anything about them. Telling breastfeeding moms its OK if you don't eat?? He's just here to try and pick up more people to pay him for his 'insights'.

There are a million resources here who have proven how to safely lose weight - people who have lost hundreds of pounds and written amazing articles that explain everything and yet for some reason people just keep going for the 'easy' answers and people like this guy are always willing to make a buck off of it. You want advice that works? look here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
    its free. Ask people like helloitsdan, heybales, sidesteel, Sarauk2sf - join groups, educate yourself.

While I appreciate the shout-out and I probably don't need to voice my opinion here, the majority of what I see from Tony in terms of general philosophy and recommendations, I'm in agreement with.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Why do you have such darn good posture?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 6'1, 162 pounds.
    I box once a week, posting about a 1400 cal burn from exercises on those days.
    Throughout the week, I may burn anywhere from 300 - 500 cals doing zumba, walking, etc (per day)

While I am happy with my core muscle definition, I am disappointed in my leg muscles. I don't see enough "cut" there.

What exercises do you recommend for me to get the muscles in my legs to show even more.
    Do I need to spot reduce? Lose more weight? Train harder?

Or is it purely a dietary thing? Do I need to adjust my calories so that I am at more of a deficit to lose the fat in my legs.

I am currently set to maintain at 1900 cals and usually eat back my exercise calories because I feel hungry all the time.

Thanks.
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed to stray from the government's food pyramid in your recommendations?

The Food Guide Pyramid is no more!! It was replaced by MyPlate back in June of 2011. Check out my blog post on this for more info. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/RitaB19/edit/march-is-national-nutrition-month-myplate-video-499612
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Heard my name was mentioned so just popping in to tag and read later. Oh, and hi!
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi, this is really nice of you!
    Im 41 yrs old.
    weight: 166-168
    height: 5'7"
    goal weight: 150
    Body fat: 36.3%...(not sure if this is accurate)

I had been eating 1200 calories & below since the first of Jan. Also have been doing Tabata 30 mins (4 days a week), walk, eliptical, etc. on the 5th day...some of the Tabata classes we use light weights with cardio. I try two days a week to lift heavy and do 5 reps/ 3 sets. I was not losing any weight at all. At the end of Feb. everyone suggested I up my calories so I did. I tried to get 1300/1400. I lost 3 lbs. Now I havent lost anything in 2 or 3 wks. I have been eating a few more calories in hopes it would continue to help me lose. I have been eating much cleaner and even the days I dont eat as clean I still dont go over 1600/1700. Not sure what to do...
    I stand all day at work. Im a hair stylist. I consider myself active. I usually have Sundays as my lazy day. Please help me! Im so confused about how many calories I need and to be able to lose weight. I try to get close to 100 grams of protein and over that on some days.
    I have always starved myself to lose weight but of course I always gained it back. I want to lose but have a not so starving diet and a diet I can live with. Starving hasnt even worked this time.
    My heart rate is usually 180 during the tabata workout.

I feel as if I raise my calories up then down...what do you recommend my calorie intake be?

If you're maintaining weight at your current calorie level, take that value and subtract 10%. Check again in a few weeks to see where you end up.

Sometimes we record a certain number, but it's actually higher in reality. Make sure you are weighing and measuring and choosing the most accurate foods. Be sure to measure oils too, those calories can add up fast!