Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Also, I've never read about soy causing hypothyroidism. I'd get a second opinion on that.

There is a lot of debate out there about whether or not soy can hurt thyroid function. I try to eat soy in moderation for this and other reasons because of all the ambiguity about it from the medical community. I take a kelp supplement for iodine since I don't eat much salt as I read that this can help with the soy and thyroid functioning issue.
  • watchmeshrink16
    watchmeshrink16 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options
    Oh god not this guy again.. *smh*

Why? I imagine a lot of people here can't afford the services of a dietitian. I've found mine to be invaluable, so I'm glad to know that others are being given the opportunity to ask questions of someone with qualifications and experience in the field.

Great thread, OP. I know your reason for engaging with users here is not entirely altruistic, but that doesn't make the advice you give any less helpful.

Oh it would be great advise if half of it wasn't dangerous. Telling people to deliberately under eat without knowing anything about them. Telling breastfeeding moms its OK if you don't eat?? He's just here to try and pick up more people to pay him for his 'insights'.

There are a million resources here who have proven how to safely lose weight - people who have lost hundreds of pounds and written amazing articles that explain everything and yet for some reason people just keep going for the 'easy' answers and people like this guy are always willing to make a buck off of it. You want advice that works? look here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
    its free. Ask people like helloitsdan, heybales, sidesteel, Sarauk2sf - join groups, educate yourself.

You must be a registered dietician too if you know so much on the topic?
    Exactly! If this basher of Tony is NOT an expert how can they come to the conclusion that Tony is incorrect and the few named above are correct?

Always listen to someone with a formal education above all others.
    If someone was once overweight and it hasn't been two years since they lost their weight, give them two years and THEN take what they say with a grain of salt.

Remember just because someone is lean and/or has muscles popping out doesn't mean they know what they are doing. What's on the inside is not always a refection of what is on the outside. There are too many surgeries, drugs, pills, potions, etc which can make you look thin, lean and muscular. But it may kill you on the inside or your results temporary. Focus on what true professionals have to say, (ie: Tony). His education is not easy to come by and they wouldn't let him graduate without knowing his stuff. He's not a "fat to thin" success story, he's the real deal. The proof is in the pudding.

I would just like to make it clear here that none of the people mentioned have actually made any comments on this thread that have contradicted Tony and I would rather not have you insinuate that any of us have had surgery, taken drugs pills or potions to look thin, lean and muscular. To my knowledge, none of us have. Please keep your insinuations to those that you have a disagreement with.

Says you! The world may never know. No where did I say or assume the above mentioned handles/names had surgery or did drugs. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. It's your insinuated that I insinuated. I didn't say it. However, the expert is Tony. He has proven that. People get on his thread and discredit him and disrespect him as a professional, but don't have a leg to stand on. they tell others to listen to "non professionals". Where is the proof that we should do so? This is Tony's thread. Let it be. If others have variatng advice or onions, they should create their own thread and not invade Tony's.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Why? I imagine a lot of people here can't afford the services of a dietitian. I've found mine to be invaluable, so I'm glad to know that others are being given the opportunity to ask questions of someone with qualifications and experience in the field.

Great thread, OP. I know your reason for engaging with users here is not entirely altruistic, but that doesn't make the advice you give any less helpful.

Oh it would be great advise if half of it wasn't dangerous. Telling people to deliberately under eat without knowing anything about them. Telling breastfeeding moms its OK if you don't eat?? He's just here to try and pick up more people to pay him for his 'insights'.

There are a million resources here who have proven how to safely lose weight - people who have lost hundreds of pounds and written amazing articles that explain everything and yet for some reason people just keep going for the 'easy' answers and people like this guy are always willing to make a buck off of it. You want advice that works? look here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
    its free. Ask people like helloitsdan, heybales, sidesteel, Sarauk2sf - join groups, educate yourself.

Exactly! If this basher of Tony is NOT an expert how can they come to the conclusion that Tony is incorrect and the few named above are correct?

If someone was once overweight and it hasn't been two years since they lost their weight, give them two years and THEN take what they say with a grain of salt.

Remember just because someone is lean and/or has muscles popping out doesn't mean they know what they are doing. What's on the inside is not always a refection of what is on the outside. There are too many surgeries, drugs, pills, potions, etc which can make you look thin, lean and muscular. But it may kill you on the inside or your results temporary. Focus on what true professionals have to say, (ie: Tony). His education is not easy to come by and they wouldn't let him graduate without knowing his stuff. He's not a "fat to thin" success story, he's the real deal. The proof is in the pudding.

I would just like to make it clear here that none of the people mentioned have actually made any comments on this thread that have contradicted Tony and I would rather not have you insinuate that any of us have had surgery, taken drugs pills or potions to look thin, lean and muscular. To my knowledge, none of us have. Please keep your insinuations to those that you have a disagreement with.

Says you! The world may never know.

Excuse me? What is your problem?
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options

No where did I say or assume the above mentioned handles/names had surgery or did/ do drugs. Maybe they do/did, maybe they didn't/don't. Furthermore, you also don't "know for sure" if any of the mentioned had surgery or did/do drugs, all you know is that you haven't and don't. Speak for yourself. Again, the true professional is the one with the education and my post is about the person bashing and none other. If the basher is not an expert, they can't calculate who is correct and who isn't with information. I believe Tony because he has an education, a license and a job in the profession. I am also a guest in HIS thread and I respect him as a professional.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

No where did I say or assume the above mentioned handles/names had surgery or did drugs. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. It's you who incinuated that I incinuated. I didn't say it. You assumed I meant it.

Now you are contradicting yourself. The insinuation was very clear, especially with your first response to me.

Anyway, you obviously have some kind of issue with me/us. Let's not derail Tony's thread shall we with your personal issues.

Let me be very clear and repeat this: I have not had any surgery, taken drugs pills or potions and to my knowledge, none of the others have.

ETA: to respond to your edit. I said I had not and to my knowledge the others had. I am pretty sure I know if I have and so can and did speak for myself.

If you have an issue with the poster you are disagreeing with, do everyone the respect of keeping your beef with them.
  • mojd80
    mojd80 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony, I'm 49, 50 in May, I weigh 273 at 5'9 1/2" tall, not sure about my BF. I have been here since Jan and have lost 14lbs on a daily intake if 1700 cals or so. I am trying to get some exercise in and have a treadmill, which I am still to heavy to use, and a Gazelle, that I have been using for about 30 min every 2-3 days. On those days I also lift weights on a Smith Station Gym in my basement. I never really paid attention to my proteins, fats, etc. Recently I went to the Dr and was advised I am pre-diabetic, hence the new diet regime, he also advised that my BP was low so I needed to increase my sodium intake. I now have a canned soup 2-3 times a week as we don't use much salt in my home. I am also on meds for ADHD.

So my question is about supplements, you mentioned Whey protein earlier. Are supplements a good thing, positives and negatives? Can't you get all your nutrition from proper diet? If you already take a multi vitamin will supplements help in other areas?

Thanks,
    Dave (Moj)
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options

No where did I say or assume the above mentioned handles/names had surgery or did drugs. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. It's you who incinuated that I incinuated. I didn't say it. You assumed I meant it.
    Now you are contradicting yourself. The insinuation was very clear, especially with your first response to me.

Anyway, you obviously have some kind of issue with me/us. Let's not derail Tony's thread shall we with your personal issues.

Let me be very clear and repeat this: I have not had any surgery, taken drugs pills or potions and to my knowledge, none of the others have.

You can't speak for others on what they do to their bodies in their personal closets. I thank you for your input about yourself, but it is beside the point. The point is, if someone isn't a professional they shouldn't be telling anyone who is correct and incorrect.

An insinuation is in your mind. If it wasn't said, you made it up. It's that simple.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You can't speak for others on what they do to their bodies in their personal closets. I thank you for your input about yourself, but it is beside the point. The point is, if someone isn't a professional they shouldn't be telling anyone who is correct and incorrect.

An insinuation is in your mind. If it wasn't said, you made it up. It's that simple.

That is fine...but keep your points to that.

And lol re the insinuation.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

If you have an issue with the poster you are disagreeing with, do everyone the respect of keeping your beef with them.
    Likewise, if you have an issue with me, do everyone a favor and email me or keep it to yourself. No one ever mentioned you. You just 'assumed' which does make me wonder. . .guilty conscience or not? None the less, as you said, don't derail Tony's thread. We thank you in advance.

Please stop with the insinuations again. My name was one of the ones mentioned in the post so I am not imagining things and I know damn well I do not have a guilty conscience. What I do not like is someone trying to make out that I have.

Stop making insinuations and the thread will get back on track. Simple as that.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Likewise, if you have an issue with me, do everyone a favor and email me or keep it to yourself. No one ever mentioned you. You just 'assumed' which does make me wonder. . .guilty conscience or not? None the less, as you said, don't derail Tony's thread. We thank you in advance.

Oh do jog on Pink Daisy. It's getting very difficult to read the thread with you shouting away.

And a reminder of the MFP guidelines:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Oh do jog on Pink Daisy. It's getting very difficult to read the thread with you shouting away.

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

^this. Sara is trying to get the topic back on track. And to note, Sara has proven time and again her knowledge in the area of health and fitness. She is always willing to research and share that research to help educate all on both sides of an argument.

And maybe I missed this, but how do we really know anyone's qualifications. There was a guy a couple months who got caught in various lies from being a body guard, personal trainer and RN. The last was scary because he was attempting to have people come to him for medical advice.

The thing that irks me is so many people here eat pretty low, netting between. 1000-1200caks but he says he'll recommend lowering that?

From my experience, as well as many others here (and you can view the success thread for this), but many have said that raising their calories helped. Find it hard to believe that many MFP success stories are special snowflakes in regards to this.

Edited to correct typos
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options

Please stop with the insinuations again. My name was one of the ones mentioned in the post so I am not imagining things and I know damn well I do not have a guilty conscience. What I do not like is someone trying to make out that I have.

Stop making insinuations and the thread will get back on track. Simple as that.

I am sorry if I defamed you. It wasn't my intention. If you say you haven't had surgery and don't take pills, etc. I believe you because I have no reason not to. I just was saying that it is a shame this poster got on here and said Tony was full of bs and to listen to you all instead. I do apologize. I honestly do not see you doing anything but healthy living.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

One correction, we DO know Tony's qualifications, because anyone who is licensed has his certification online to public access. If you would like the website to verify his license let me know. Anyone board certified has his/her records as public as required by law. Any probation or investigation, etc is also public access by law. He's good!

But how do we know Tony isn't a catfish?!
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options

One correction, we DO know Tony's qualifications, because anyone who is licensed has his certification online to public access. If you would like the website to verify his license let me know. Anyone board certified has his/her records as public as required by law. Any probation or investigation, etc is also public access by law. He's good!

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^this. Sara is trying to get the topic back on track. And to note, Sara has proven time and again her knowledge in the area of health and fitness. She is always willing to research and share that research to help educate all on both sides of an argument.

And maybe I missed this, but how do we really know anyone's qualifications. There was a guy a couple months who got caught in various lies from being a body guard, personal trainer and RN. The last was scary because he was attempting to have people come to him for medical advice.

The thing that irks me is so many people here eat pretty low, netting between. 1000-1200caks but he says he'll recommend lowering that?

From my experience, as well as many others here (and you can view the success thread for this), but many have said that raising their calories helped. Find it hard to believe that many MFP success stories are special snowflakes in regards to this.

Edited to correct typos

So he gave his full name and info for us to verify his credentials? Could you copy and paste that? It would be useful to get an idea on some things :)
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

I don't know what you mean by catfish?

Link
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=catfish
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options

I don't know what you mean by catfish?

Link
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=catfish
    A scam? Because there is no motive, he hasn't sold anything. He has given and asked for nothing in return. Look, my profession is in the "compassionate industry as is Tony's. I have given free services more than I recall. We do what we do for a living, because it represents who we are. We want to help. People who get into these careers truly have to care about others. That said, they help people out of innate kindness and not as a money-maker. He is intelligent. If you doubt that listen to his You Tube videos and read his responses. The man could have chosen many careers, he chose this. The educational criteria is large. The upkeep of his license is continuing. He can never sit back and relax. He has to continue his education just to keep his license valid. But his credentials shouldn't' be under scrutiny here. .Please, I bet you to let him post and to respect him and us who want to listen to him.

There have been other professionals (2 that I know of) who have moved on due to the bashing as such. I beg you, let those who need help and chose to follow him do so. Don't we all want everyone in the world to succeed? We are all parents, sisters, brothers, etc. We have loved ones counting on us. Lets allow those who need help to get it. He isn't doing anyone any harm. He gave me advice and I shall follow.
    Thank you.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options

Edited to correct typos

So he gave his full name and info for us to verify his credentials? Could you copy and paste that? It would be useful to get an idea on some things :)

Yes he has and no I will not.