Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I worry about stevia... I have always heard "fake" sugar is worse then the real thing

Rumours suck. Better than aspartame (which can lead to Aneurysms) and most certainly better than pure sugar!

I keep my sugar under 24g a day easy.. I have learned to do without excess sugar, stevia I take is in my protein powder. I don't add sugar to anything.. may be worth it for you to either learn to live without adding sugar to your drinks or find an alternative. :smile:

As someone who has had an aneurysm rupture on her, please could you cite me a reliable source that actually says this so I can do some research on it?
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    "people like helloitsdan, heybales, sidesteel, Sarauk2sf "edited to add helloitsdan too :heart:

Just wanted to say that I am friends with these people and every one of them is SUPER helpful and supportive and nice. You can see from their diaries and posts how hard they work out and what they eat and that they have earned every bit of their physiques the right way. And even though they look amazing they all have their own insecurities just like the rest of us. I find some of the comments in this thread unbelievably rude and way off target.
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony,I have that same question

I am a 54 year old menopausal woman. Started MFP back in Sept. 2012 at 225.5 lbs. and now I weigh 186. I'm really happy with losing nearly 40 lbs. in 6 mos.

I started at 1200 cals/day and was losing 2-3 lbs. per week. I did not eat back exercise calories.

I then upped my calories to 1350 in mid-December because I got more active. I started losing MUCH slower, about .5-1 lb. per week. I still did not eat back my exercise calories. Very disappointing.

I went back to eating1200 cals/day about mid-February, and began eating back half my exercise calories. I exercise every day and burn an average of 300 calories/day. Still losing at a turtle's pace at .5-1 lb./week and getting discouraged.

What do you advise?

Thank you.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I've been gaining very slowly while eating at or below what MFP recommends for maintenance. Up until I started gaining (alittle more than a year ago), I had been maintaining at just a little below MFP maintenance. Then suddenly i started gaining. I keep reading about resetting your metabolism by eating at maintenance for several weeks. Will this help, or will I just keep packing on more pounds that I will have to re-lose? And are there other ways to reset metabolism? (I am still at a healthy weight with bf % about 23-24. I just want to stop the gain and then re-lose 5 lbs. and I don't want to have to maintain by netting under 1300 which seems to be where I am. BTW I am almost 5'3" I weigh 120 and I am 45 and female.)
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I worry about stevia... I have always heard "fake" sugar is worse then the real thing

Rumours suck. Better than aspartame (which can lead to Aneurysms) and most certainly better than pure sugar!

I keep my sugar under 24g a day easy.. I have learned to do without excess sugar, stevia I take is in my protein powder. I don't add sugar to anything.. may be worth it for you to either learn to live without adding sugar to your drinks or find an alternative. :smile:

As someone who has had an aneurysm rupture on her, please could you cite me a reliable source that actually says this so I can do some research on it?

You are more than welcome to use Google, for example, to your avail as what sources I think are reliable may be ones that you feel are not reliable and I'm not looking into getting into a debate (should you disagree). :flowerforyou:
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    "people like helloitsdan, heybales, sidesteel, Sarauk2sf "

Just wanted to say that I am friends with these people and every one of them is SUPER helpful and supportive and nice. You can see from their diaries and posts how hard they work out and what they eat and that they have earned every bit of their physiques the right way. And even though they look amazing they all have their own insecurities just like the rest of us. I find some of the comments in this thread unbelievably rude and way off target.

That is great and all, but this is Tony's thread. What others do and say doesn't belong here.

Oh really?! Perhaps you should start your own group or forum if you'd like to censor opinions :flowerforyou:
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

Report Post button is a viable option. I think this among other points have been taken and the users mentioned have been able to speak for themselves without an entourage to do so for them. Not trying to be rude here (and not saying this is me) but some people actually care about what OP has to say. OP never insulted these users specifically, someone else did. Report it cause these folks have worked hard. No need for a thread to be ruined.
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thank you for being here. I just saw a reply to someone and it was answered. Will look you up on FB!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You are more than welcome to use Google, for example, to your avail as what sources I think are reliable may be ones that you feel are not reliable and I'm not looking into getting into a debate (should you disagree). :flowerforyou:

Well, that is just it, I have searched and I have not seen any so was hoping you could point me to them. I do not need to debate them here, but as I have had an aneurysm rupture on me I thought in the interests of community spirit you would share. Obviously not.
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options

Report Post button is a viable option. I think this among other points have been taken and the users mentioned have been able to speak for themselves without an entourage to do so for them. Not trying to be rude here (and not saying this is me) but some people actually care about what OP has to say. OP never insulted these users specifically, someone else did. Report it cause these folks have worked hard. No need for a thread to be ruined.

I agree. But I don't think anyone bashed these ppl . I wish this post would get back to topics for Tony.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

Well, that is just it, I have not seen any so was hoping you could point me to them.

Oh, really? That's unfortunate. Google alone has suggested over hundreds of thousands of results.. I'm sure you can find something should you be interested in finding reliable sources. Best of luck to you
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options
    <snip>
    Never underestimate the power of a REAL education. With the group you mentioned, you may not know the whole story. There are many pills, drugs, steroids, etc which can help people 'appear' healthy. What's on the outside doesn't necessary represent what is on the inside. I would take advice of a doctor, registered nurse, or registered dietitian before listening to anyone else.
    <snip>

I dont advocate the use of pills, juice, gear or steroids in any of my 1 on 1 clients nor do we mention this in our thread.
    I believe in building the body up to its metabolic potential much like EMTWL by first finding TDEE then slowly cutting down calories till desire "Fat" loss is reached.
    This method simply gets your body attuned with eating higher calories so it works more efficiently.
    I think we can all agree that if you could lose 1lb of fat a week eating an average of 1800-2k a day, you would be happier than eating 1200 cals a day with a lower hormonal profile.
    After reading this thread up to the point where my name was put in the category as "possible steroids" the RD does have some good points but some extremely bad points.

A greater discussion would be "why would you suggest eating below BMR/RMR if LPL is higher (promoting fat retention) T3 is lower (preventing fat loss) Cortisol is higher (antagonizing Testosterone preventing LBM retention and using LBM as fuel).

I think this was horrible advice and would never suggest it to a client for long term fat loss.

Just because they have a degree or a certification doesn't necessarily make RDs all knowing.
    The human body is still largely a mystery in many aspects and the medical industry is continuing to learn and grow throughout the decades.
    Hell, in the 80s Fat was bad and in the 90s carbs were bad.

All I can say to this is as you said, "the body is a mystery". If it weren't we would all be fit and healthy. So many of us want it, so many of us have the right intentions, work ethic, time and dedication, but still fail. All I was saying is "as a whole, you never know what people are doing to look good". I wasn't meaning you or Sara or any of the others mentioned are for sure druggies, etc. I stand corrected. i just meant that she was incorrect to assume Tony wrong and everyone else doing it, "the right way". I meant, as a whole, you just never know. Even professionals do drugs. We've all read the news. What was that hot biker's name" I just was pointing out that no one can discredit one person and validate another. It's just wrong. It was wrong of her to do.

I think we have valid points. However, I don't think Tony's thread is the place to discuss it. I would like to respect him as a professional and start our own thread to debate.

I do like the way you tactfully addressed this. I appreciate your politeness. Shall we move on? Can you create a thread and we can bounce there and let Tony have his?

I'm happy as long as we understand that the above mentioned names all work hard, eat right, recover properly and have the physiques to show for it.
    We offer our views to anyone willing to listen.
    Most who take the advice get similar results and eat at or near TDEE.
    It's about patience and efficiency.
    It's a way of life.

Hugs!

I do apologize. I am new to the forums. I only know of Sara from here and now you. Of you two, i doubt anything illegal or unhealthy is happening. I do not know for sure nor have I heard of or seen the others mentioned, but it seems not so. I was only tossed a group of random names of people whom I had never heard of and I assumed. I do believe in Tony. I believe in both of you as well.

Thank you for all you do.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

I agree. But I don't think anyone bashed these ppl . I wish this post would get back to topics for Tony.

I personally couldn't care about whether someone got called names, "bashed" or not. Everyone here has options. I share your sentiment that thread needs to get back on topic. I have little hope that it will though.
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options

I personally couldn't care about whether someone got called names, "bashed" or not. Everyone here has options. I share your sentiment that thread needs to get back on topic. I have little hope that it will though.

I very much agree and hope so as well.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options

Me too. I'm a part of one of those groups and I learned a lot from reading their discussions. I have even reccommended their calculator/spreadsheet. But the fact is their formula just isn't working for me. I've done nothing but gain on it. So now I would like to hear some more opinions, please. . . .
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options
    This thread has become incredibly sad....

It's not sad, it's just derailed. We'll get back to it. I do hate when people take over someone elses thread. He does have a Facebook page. I'm there and it is drama free if you'd like to step over. I promise, as accused, he is NOT selling a thing. He is just loaded with information. Love him!

Agreed, this happens all the time. Same chit different day!

^^ I'm just gonna say this to get it out of the way .... Pop Tarts !

Dur! There is always one in every classroom, in every group, and on every bus. Sometimes it's hard to recognize them, yet other times they open their lips and remove all doubt.

Yep. And some of them have such Sunny personalities :)

Edited to correct typos. Sorry, on phone

Weird! You're just weird and this is a weird post. I'ts Saturday night you're probably drinking at your computer. Have a "sunny" (weird) day. bye. OMG!

I wasn't talking about what day it was

Edited to add: Don't appreciate being accused of being drunk. And why are you derailing? Didn't you want this to get back to Tony's thread?
    Weird. I dunno what this means.
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options

Me too. I'm a part of one of those groups and I learned a lot from reading their discussions. I have even reccommended their calculator/spreadsheet. But the fact is their formula just isn't working for me. I've done nothing but gain on it. So now I would like to hear some more opinions, please. . . .
    To be honest, I gained when I did the MFP calculation bologna, whatever it is. However, when I discovered the forums I leaned so much, I can't even type it all. I learned every tool imaginable to my body. Everyone here fought and argued and name called, etc but I weeded through it and picked what worked for me. Of all the forums out there, I learned more here FROM real people than anything else. I'm on my way.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

Well, that is just it, I have searched and I have not seen any so was hoping you could point me to them. I do not need to debate them here, but as I have had an aneurysm rupture on me I thought in the interests of community spirit you would share. Obviously not.

Noticed your edit......

Don't take it personally. You could always send a friend request or private message should you want to discuss it further and when I have time, I would be pleased to help. In the midst of all the drama in this thread about advice giving and seeking, I would just rather not right at this moment.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Noticed your edit......

Don't take it personally. You could always send a friend request or private message should you want to discuss it further and when I have time, I would be pleased to help. In the midst of all the drama in this thread about advice giving and seeking, I would just rather not right at this moment.

That's fine, if you do not want to provide a simple link I understand. I wonder if Tony has an opinion on this.

Like the way I got that back to Tony and the fact that it's his thread :wink:
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options

You can't speak for others on what they do to their bodies in their personal closets. I thank you for your input about yourself, but it is beside the point. The point is, if someone isn't a professional they shouldn't be telling anyone who is correct and incorrect.

Technically Dr. Oz is a professional, but does that mean I'm going to run out and buy up as many green coffee beans as I can to lose weight? No. Helloitsdan has it right, and is making the point I wanted to make WITH the science behind it (I'm new to a lot of this and don't know a lot on that end, but am enjoying learning!). I think this dude has a lot of good advice to give on topics OTHER THAN BMR/TDEE. There, I really feel like he has it wrong, and is advising something that could be potentially harmful.

The blatant truth. You're not lean, he is . Case closed!