Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    Never underestimate the power of a REAL education. With the group you mentioned, you may not know the whole story. There are many pills, drugs, steroids, etc which can help people 'appear' healthy. What's on the outside doesn't necessary represent what is on the inside. I would take advice of a doctor, registered nurse, or registered dietitian before listening to anyone else.
    <snip>

I dont advocate the use of pills, juice, gear or steroids in any of my 1 on 1 clients nor do we mention this in our thread.
    I believe in building the body up to its metabolic potential much like EMTWL by first finding TDEE then slowly cutting down calories till desire "Fat" loss is reached.
    This method simply gets your body attuned with eating higher calories so it works more efficiently.
    I think we can all agree that if you could lose 1lb of fat a week eating an average of 1800-2k a day, you would be happier than eating 1200 cals a day with a lower hormonal profile.
    After reading this thread up to the point where my name was put in the category as "possible steroids" the RD does have some good points but some extremely bad points.

A greater discussion would be "why would you suggest eating below BMR/RMR if LPL is higher (promoting fat retention) T3 is lower (preventing fat loss) Cortisol is higher (antagonizing Testosterone preventing LBM retention and using LBM as fuel).

I think this was horrible advice and would never suggest it to a client for long term fat loss.

Just because they have a degree or a certification doesn't necessarily make RDs all knowing.
    The human body is still largely a mystery in many aspects and the medical industry is continuing to learn and grow throughout the decades.
    Hell, in the 80s Fat was bad and in the 90s carbs were bad.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

If you have an issue with the poster you are disagreeing with, do everyone the respect of keeping your beef with them.
    Likewise, if you have an issue with me, do everyone a favor and email me or keep it to yourself. No one ever mentioned you. You just 'assumed' which does make me wonder. . .guilty conscience or not? None the less, as you said, don't derail Tony's thread. We thank you in advance.

Oh do jog on Pink Daisy. It's getting very difficult to read the thread with you shouting away.

And a reminder of the MFP guidelines:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

^this. Sara is trying to get the topic back on track. And to note, Sara has proven time and again her knowledge in the area of health and fitness. She is always willing to research and share that research to help educate all on both sides of an argument.

And maybe I missed this, but how do we really know anyone's qualifications. There was a guy a couple months who got caught in various lies from being a body guard, personal trainer and RN. The last was scary because he was attempting to have people come to him for medical advice.

The thing that irks me is so many people here eat pretty low, netting between. 1000-1200caks but he says he'll recommend lowering that?

From my experience, as well as many others here (and you can view the success thread for this), but many have said that raising their calories helped. Find it hard to believe that many MFP success stories are special snowflakes in regards to this.

Edited to correct typos

One correction, we DO know Tony's qualifications, because anyone who is licensed has his certification online to public access. If you would like the website to verify his license let me know. Anyone board certified has his/her records as public as required by law. Any probation or investigation, etc is also public access by law. He's good!

So he gave his full name and info for us to verify his credentials? Could you copy and paste that? It would be useful to get an idea on some things :)

Yes he has and no I will not.
    Hmmm, I'll have to look through all the pages Again because I am not seeing that info at all.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options

You can't speak for others on what they do to their bodies in their personal closets. I thank you for your input about yourself, but it is beside the point. The point is, if someone isn't a professional they shouldn't be telling anyone who is correct and incorrect.

Technically Dr. Oz is a professional, but does that mean I'm going to run out and buy up as many green coffee beans as I can to lose weight? No. Helloitsdan has it right, and is making the point I wanted to make WITH the science behind it (I'm new to a lot of this and don't know a lot on that end, but am enjoying learning!). I think this dude has a lot of good advice to give on topics OTHER THAN BMR/TDEE. There, I really feel like he has it wrong, and is advising something that could be potentially harmful.
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options
    <snip>
    Never underestimate the power of a REAL education. With the group you mentioned, you may not know the whole story. There are many pills, drugs, steroids, etc which can help people 'appear' healthy. What's on the outside doesn't necessary represent what is on the inside. I would take advice of a doctor, registered nurse, or registered dietitian before listening to anyone else.
    <snip>

I dont advocate the use of pills, juice, gear or steroids in any of my 1 on 1 clients nor do we mention this in our thread.
    I believe in building the body up to its metabolic potential much like EMTWL by first finding TDEE then slowly cutting down calories till desire "Fat" loss is reached.
    This method simply gets your body attuned with eating higher calories so it works more efficiently.
    I think we can all agree that if you could lose 1lb of fat a week eating an average of 1800-2k a day, you would be happier than eating 1200 cals a day with a lower hormonal profile.
    After reading this thread up to the point where my name was put in the category as "possible steroids" the RD does have some good points but some extremely bad points.

A greater discussion would be "why would you suggest eating below BMR/RMR if LPL is higher (promoting fat retention) T3 is lower (preventing fat loss) Cortisol is higher (antagonizing Testosterone preventing LBM retention and using LBM as fuel).

I think this was horrible advice and would never suggest it to a client for long term fat loss.

Just because they have a degree or a certification doesn't necessarily make RDs all knowing.
    The human body is still largely a mystery in many aspects and the medical industry is continuing to learn and grow throughout the decades.

All I can say to this is as you said, "the body is a mystery". If it weren't we would all be fit and healthy. So many of us want it, so many of us have the right intentions, work ethic, time and dedication, but still fail. All I was saying is "as a whole, you never know what people are doing to look good". I wasn't meaning you or Sara or any of the others mentioned are for sure druggies, etc. I stand corrected. i just meant that she was incorrect to assume Tony wrong and everyone else doing it, "the right way". I meant, as a whole, you just never know. Even professionals do drugs. We've all read the news. What was that hot biker's name" I just was pointing out that no one can discredit one person and validate another. It's just wrong. It was wrong of her to do.

I think we have valid points. However, I don't think Tony's thread is the place to discuss it. I would like to respect him as a professional and start our own thread to debate.

I do like the way you tactfully addressed this. I appreciate your politeness. Shall we move on? Can you create a thread and we can bounce there and let Tony have his?
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options

You can't speak for others on what they do to their bodies in their personal closets. I thank you for your input about yourself, but it is beside the point. The point is, if someone isn't a professional they shouldn't be telling anyone who is correct and incorrect.

Technically Dr. Oz is a professional, but does that mean I'm going to run out and buy up as many green coffee beans as I can to lose weight? No. Helloitsdan has it right, and is making the point I wanted to make WITH the science behind it (I'm new to a lot of this and don't know a lot on that end, but am enjoying learning!). I think this dude has a lot of good advice to give on topics OTHER THAN BMR/TDEE. There, I really feel like he has it wrong, and is advising something that could be potentially harmful.

Lots of professionals out there and lots of variation in advice. i soak it all in and find what I find worthy from each source and sample that. I then go from there. It's all exploratory. Just listen, read, soak, research and think. I do however appreciate ANYONE who gives me advice based on experience and/or education. I have been on forums, websites, read books, etc. MFP is the most unprofessional place i have yet to encounter of all of them, yet I have learned more here than anywhere. Are they professionals? . . .some of them .. yes. Many, it is based on experience. I am a changed person due to this place. That said, we can't discount ANYONE'S advice. We can only absorb and process and decide where to take that.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Oh god not this guy again.. *smh*

Why? I imagine a lot of people here can't afford the services of a dietitian. I've found mine to be invaluable, so I'm glad to know that others are being given the opportunity to ask questions of someone with qualifications and experience in the field.

Great thread, OP. I know your reason for engaging with users here is not entirely altruistic, but that doesn't make the advice you give any less helpful.

Oh it would be great advise if half of it wasn't dangerous. Telling people to deliberately under eat without knowing anything about them. Telling breastfeeding moms its OK if you don't eat?? He's just here to try and pick up more people to pay him for his 'insights'.

There are a million resources here who have proven how to safely lose weight - people who have lost hundreds of pounds and written amazing articles that explain everything and yet for some reason people just keep going for the 'easy' answers and people like this guy are always willing to make a buck off of it. You want advice that works? look here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
    its free. Ask people like helloitsdan, heybales, sidesteel, Sarauk2sf - join groups, educate yourself.

You must be a registered dietician too if you know so much on the topic?

:laugh: :laugh:
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    This thread has become incredibly sad....
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options

It's not sad, it's just derailed. We'll get back to it. I do hate when people take over someone elses thread. He does have a Facebook page. I'm there and it is drama free if you'd like to step over. I promise, as accused, he is NOT selling a thing. He is just loaded with information. Love him!
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have a question regarding sugar..... I am always really good with my calories.. always equal or lower then my calorie goal, however I always seem to go over in my sugar. The only sugar I purposely eat is I allow myself 2 teaspoons of sugar in my coffee other then that I eat fruit, but such as watermelon, it has high sugar. Does sugar burn off fast with excercise? I have cut out alot in my diet that i would normally eat (I have a major sweet tooth) but it seems like everything has sugar in it even the healthy foods. what can I do to reduce my sugar ? or should I really concern myself with the sugar if my calories are good. I dont know if I should keep doing what I am doing or focus more on the sugars.... I am deployed so my food is limited, but I am trying.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

It's not sad, it's just derailed. We'll get back to it. I do hate when people take over someone elses thread. He does have a Facebook page. I'm there and it is drama free if you'd like to step over. I promise, as accused, he is NOT selling a thing. He is just loaded with information. Love him!

I said it has BECOME sad... I think it's sad that people are getting mad and nitpicking posts, arguing.. I probably won't go to his FB page but I will watch this thread and see if anything posted peaks my interest
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    So my question (and maybe it has been answered) but why wouldn't he want to help educate others by providing links or references to peer reviewed research? As someone who has a degree, wouldn't such info be pretty handy to have?
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I have a question regarding sugar..... I am always really good with my calories.. always equal or lower then my calorie goal, however I always seem to go over in my sugar. The only sugar I purposely eat is I allow myself 2 teaspoons of sugar in my coffee other then that I eat fruit, but such as watermelon, it has high sugar. Does sugar burn off fast with excercise? I have cut out alot in my diet that i would normally eat (I have a major sweet tooth) but it seems like everything has sugar in it even the healthy foods. what can I do to reduce my sugar ? or should I really concern myself with the sugar if my calories are good. I dont know if I should keep doing what I am doing or focus more on the sugars.... I am deployed so my food is limited, but I am trying.

Stevia is great.. natural sweetener!! Sorry OP but I had to offer a small solution! :P
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    <snip>

All I can say to this is as you said, "the body is a mystery". If it weren't we would all be fit and healthy. So many of us want it, so many of us have the right intentions, work ethic, time and dedication, but still fail. All I was saying is "as a whole, you never know what people are doing to look good". I wasn't meaning you or Sara or any of the others mentioned are for sure druggies, etc. I stand corrected. i just meant that she was incorrect to assume Tony wrong and everyone else doing it, "the right way". I meant, as a whole, you just never know. Even professionals do drugs. We've all read the news. What was that hot biker's name" I just was pointing out that no one can discredit one person and validate another. It's just wrong. It was wrong of her to do.

I think we have valid points. However, I don't think Tony's thread is the place to discuss it. I would like to respect him as a professional and start our own thread to debate.

I do like the way you tactfully addressed this. I appreciate your politeness. Shall we move on? Can you create a thread and we can bounce there and let Tony have his?

I'm happy as long as we understand that the above mentioned names all work hard, eat right, recover properly and have the physiques to show for it.
    We offer our views to anyone willing to listen.
    Most who take the advice get similar results and eat at or near TDEE.
    It's about patience and efficiency.
    It's a way of life.

Hugs!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

Agreed, this happens all the time. Same chit different day!
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I worry about stevia... I have always heard "fake" sugar is worse then the real thing
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I worry about stevia... I have always heard "fake" sugar is worse then the real thing

Rumours suck. Better than aspartame (which can lead to Aneurysms) and most certainly better than pure sugar!

I keep my sugar under 24g a day easy.. I have learned to do without excess sugar, stevia I take is in my protein powder. I don't add sugar to anything.. may be worth it for you to either learn to live without adding sugar to your drinks or find an alternative. :smile:
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options

^^ I'm just gonna say this to get it out of the way .... Pop Tarts !
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    Bumping these
    Hello

I have a hypo thryroid problem and take 200 mcg a day. I have struggled with my weight after being sick with Hashimoto's disease about 15 years ago. I work in a stressful job situation and have had trouble losing weight and thought it may be from the situation I'm in.
    I lost 20 pounds on a low carb, low sugar diet and then went off the program and gained the weight back very quickly. Not overeating, just eating more carbs and a little more sugar. When I joined MFP. I was eating 1200 calories and then someone suggested I should recalculate on calories by saying I only want to lose 1 pound a week. MFP recalculated the calories to 1450. I began eating 1450 for four weeks and gained 7 pounds. Then I decided to go back to eating 1200 calories to try to lose the 7 pounds and I have bounced between 223 and 225 for going on two weeks now without losing anything.

What do you suggest I try? Eat lower than 1200? I can't exercise much because of planter's and a bad knee.

Thank you for answering questions. It's very kind of you and informative.
    Do macros matter? Does too much carbs really hinder weight and/or fat loss, or is total calories all that matters? I read somewhere that carbs cause water retention and hence mask weight loss, but in the long run if I keep up with my calorie deficit will I still be a few lbs heavier just because I'm always in a high carb diet?

Also, does eating before sleeping cause bloating especially in the face, even if you're within your caloric goal?
    Opinions on low carb, high protein/fat diets?

Like 100g of carbs, lean body weight in protein, and the rest of your calorie needs taken care of by fat?

I just started on this, but Im pretty nervous about it. Just so much fat sounds backwards.

Im 5'11", 218 lbs, about 22% body fat. Been doing Starting Strength as well.

So what Ive been eating is about 100g of carbs, 125g of fat, 210g of protein. About 2500 calories.
    I need nutrition advice in general. I have been told so many different things about if I should now eat on a deficit, maintenance or surplus level. I'm pretty sure I don't want to be eating a surplus, though, so I basically want to know if I should stay on a deficit (if so, how much before it'll impede muscle growth) or maintenance.

I'm 5'7 and about 135lbs - healthy BMI, and now, as vain as it sounds, I'm just working on looking better - I guess lowering bf% (though I don't know what mine currently is). I've started lifting heavy so as to build muscle, but so many people are telling me that lifting will be pointless if I'm eating at a deficit. I think I'd like to be about 125-130 lbs if possible though, so a deficit is necessary - but that being said, I don't know what I'd look like at 135lbs, just with a lower bf%, so maybe I don't need to lose those vanity pounds?

I basically just want some sort of advice on if eating at a deficit will slow the rate of change of body composition - or speed it up? Also, I'm not sure what my macros should be set at - I guess I need to increase my protein intake but I'm such a fruit addict that I generally have quite a large carbohydrate intake just from that, so will I need to cut down on fruit?
    Hi Tony, I'm 49, 50 in May, I weigh 273 at 5'9 1/2" tall, not sure about my BF. I have been here since Jan and have lost 14lbs on a daily intake if 1700 cals or so. I am trying to get some exercise in and have a treadmill, which I am still to heavy to use, and a Gazelle, that I have been using for about 30 min every 2-3 days. On those days I also lift weights on a Smith Station Gym in my basement. I never really paid attention to my proteins, fats, etc. Recently I went to the Dr and was advised I am pre-diabetic, hence the new diet regime, he also advised that my BP was low so I needed to increase my sodium intake. I now have a canned soup 2-3 times a week as we don't use much salt in my home. I am also on meds for ADHD.

So my question is about supplements, you mentioned Whey protein earlier. Are supplements a good thing, positives and negatives? Can't you get all your nutrition from proper diet? If you already take a multi vitamin will supplements help in other areas?

Thanks,
    Dave (Moj)
  • PikaKnight
    Options

^^ I'm just gonna say this to get it out of the way .... Pop Tarts !

Dur! There is always one in every classroom, in every group, and on every bus. Sometimes it's hard to recognize them, yet other times they open their lips and remove all doubt.

Yep. And some of them have such Sunny personalities :)

Edited to correct typos. Sorry, on phone