What's the most efficient exercise to burn cals?

Options

Replies

• klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Swimming kicks butt! Tons of calories burned quickly.
  • mdplopez3
    mdplopez3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    986 calories burned: Running at 8mph
    913 calories burned: Rollerblading
    730 calories burned: Tae Kwon Do
    730 calories burned: Jump rope
    657 calories burned: Stair treadmill
    584 calories burned: Jogging at 5mph
    511 calories burned: Backpacking
    511 calories burned: Racquetball
    511 calories burned: Cross-country skiing
    511 calories burned: High-impact aerobics
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    Running has been a great one for me. Relatively quick, I started out with just 10 minutes a day and after 3 months find myself running around 30 minutes per run. Burns lots of calories per run. I've started supplimenting a run witha few sets of calisthenics (jumping jacks, sit-ups, push-ups, and resistance bands). My energy level at the start was very low too. I didn't realize when I started running I would end up craving more. Started 3 months ago and tended to burn about 80 to 100 calories per short run. Now I tend to burn between 400 and 600 calories per session (run and calisthenics) and do this 5 to 6 times per week.

Just start small and the key is to stick with it. It'll grow from there.

Exactly this is what I do. Although I suck at burpees!!
  • seed_of_wonder
    seed_of_wonder Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    take a kettlebell class!
    it burns the most calories
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    HIIT high intensity interval training is most efficient to burn cals
  • TheMommyWifeLife
    TheMommyWifeLife Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Sexual intercourse. in like fifteen minutes you burn 77 calories! and that is if you are at my current weight. I am unsure of what it is at other weights.
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Finely someone who make sense! Sexual intercourse! Who cares how many calories you burn, those are the most enjoyable calories burned!
  • TheMommyWifeLife
    TheMommyWifeLife Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Finely someone who make sense! Sexual intercourse! Who cares how many calories you burn, those are the most enjoyable calories burned!

lol
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    986 calories burned: Running at 8mph
    913 calories burned: Rollerblading
    730 calories burned: Tae Kwon Do
    730 calories burned: Jump rope
    657 calories burned: Stair treadmill
    584 calories burned: Jogging at 5mph
    511 calories burned: Backpacking
    511 calories burned: Racquetball
    511 calories burned: Cross-country skiing
    511 calories burned: High-impact aerobics

This underscores the problem with this question. Me running at 8MPH vs a 100 pound person running at 8 MPH would not burn the same amount of calories. 730 calories burned jumping rope? Depending upon intensity you could half or double that amount. Backpacking? Would that be the same if you were ascending Mt Everest vs walking in the local park? A 20# load vs a 100# load? See how ridiculous this information now looks? Point being that its all about the intensity you put into the exercise you are doing. Wearing an heart monitor is probably the most accurate way to measure what calories you are actually burning.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    jump rope.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    JIllian Michaels Extreme Shed and Shred.....30 minutes for each workout, you will be drenched!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    The right Zumba class can definitely make a big burner while still being fun to do. However, you have to find one with a very upbeat, intense instructor and little downtime between songs, which can take some shopping around.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Here's a novel idea: why not partition the bulk of your deficit from eating less?
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Been reading, and not all exercises burn the same number of calories. What is the quickest way I can get a meaningful workout in in the least amount of time? I don't have energy enough after work to be bouncing around the living room in front of a video for an hour, and in short order I'd be back to doing nothing.

Any speedy workouts that burn a lot of calories out there?

Try Spinning if your gym has the class.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    the one that YOU enjoy and gets your heart rate up and gets your @$$ up and moving. A LOT of people on this site seem to be an expert at what exercise is the best..no it's the best for THEM!

I walk 6 - 7 days a week..and I'm totally losing weight AND BUILDING MUSCLE! I don't have to be in the gym lifting weights or running. You will read a ton of threads that say if you aren't lifting you aren't building to which I call bullsh*t.
    careful, if you walk too much, you're going to get HUGE like how most marathon runners look.

:laugh:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Here's a novel idea: why not partition the bulk of your deficit from eating less?

Because food is yummy....?
  • jlrowland
    jlrowland Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Hot yoga (Bikram or hot) burns a ton of calories and it is also really awesome :)

I wish I could do yoga! It seems so incredible!
    Why do you think you can't?
    There are different kinds of yoga. Some require fitness and flexibility. Others are gentler and more appropriate for someone who is not already fit. Even someone with limited mobility in a wheelchair can do some forms... but not the Birkam :smile:
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing for me.

In order of my most efficient (low to high):

Step class
    Running
    Biking
    Rowing
    Spin class
    Kickboxing

Has changed order a bit over the years.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Sexual intercourse. in like fifteen minutes you burn 77 calories! and that is if you are at my current weight. I am unsure of what it is at other weights.

We have all tried to find this in mfp. Thank you for the calculation.