What's the most efficient exercise to burn cals?

Options
12346»

Replies

• kkiernicki
    Options
    Do you have a Planet Fitness near you? I use a machine that's kind of a climber/elliptical (not sure what it's called) but I burned 886 in 45 minutes yesterday! Even when I was lighter I still burned over 1000 in an hour.

I also take spinning classes and road bike a lot-- FYI, road biking is about 50 calories a mile and my typical rides are no shorter than 20.
  • afoley2
    afoley2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels' Kickbox Fastfix. I do all three videos (21 minutes each) in a row, but individually would work as well, I think. Best calorie burn out of all the Jillian Michaels videos (and I do them all). :-)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Check out Tabata.

Also: HEY GUYS!!!! I'M GOING TO MAKE AN OUTLANDISH CLAIM AND THEN CALL OUT PEOPLE WHO DISAGREE WITH ME AND SPEND THE REST OF THE THREAD COMMENTING ON HOW I WAS RIGHT THAT FOLKS WOULD DISAGREE WITH ME AND FEEL SMUG ABOUT MYSELF. TO ADD TO THAT I WON'T PROVIDE ANY PROOF BACKING MY CLAIM OTHER THAN MY WORD AND THE FACT THAT YOU DON'T KNOW ME.
  • TheMommyWifeLife
    TheMommyWifeLife Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Sexual intercourse. in like fifteen minutes you burn 77 calories! and that is if you are at my current weight. I am unsure of what it is at other weights.

We have all tried to find this in mfp. Thank you for the calculation.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

check out that website. you put your current weight in and it has every exercise i could find including foreplay and sexual intercourse. one of my friends whose lost tons of weight uses it. then you go back to mfp, click exercize, click add exercize to database, type in the name, type how many minutes, then type the calories burned. after that you can do it for however long you did it, and mfp will calculate it for you. i also added zumba which is not on mfp but is on the website i wrote up above!
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I just found this site that has a really great, comprehensive list.

• 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options

This site, if accurate, then gives much credo's to MFP's calculations. I checked my running yesterday with this site vs. MFP and they varied by only 1 calorie burned. So there you go!
  • TheMommyWifeLife
    Options

This site, if accurate, then gives much credo's to MFP's calculations. I checked my running yesterday with this site vs. MFP and they varied by only 1 calorie burned. So there you go!

It doesn't on everything however. I put in calisthenics last night, and it was only 152 but on mfp it was over 200! Not arguing, just letting you know! I would rather underestimate the calories burned and know I possibly did better, than to choose the one that says I burned more, and then weeks later so no result!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Eating less. Saves time and money. Of course only resistance training saves muscle.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Mayo Clinic might be a good source.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/SM00109
  • MSxJENNY
    MSxJENNY Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Interval Cardio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxX2BDaMiiI&feature=plcp
    That's my trainer's video on how to do interval cardio at home. You can jump rope, do jumping jacks, etc. You'll be sweating bullets after a few mins.. trust me!!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    If you can find an hour to spare and can take a RIPPED class you'll sweat buckets and work your butt off. My abs are sore today from last night's class. Also there is a class called H.E.A.T. that I'm too scared to try. It's even harder.
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I run, but if I want a truly high calorie burning workout in a short amount of time, I walk at an incline on the treadmill. I walk 4mph and max out the incline. When my legs start getting sore, I'll cut the incline down for a little bit to half or two-thirds, then back up.

I don't remember exactly, but I can burn around 850 to 900 calories for an hour. Normally I can't last an hour, so I think it's around 400 to 500 for 35 minutes.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Well, it is the same public domain database that many sites use. The 2 strength training levels, biking speed divisions, and running pace divisions, give it away.

Like this one for visual difference.

http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/calculat.htm
  • kayleighEldridge86
    Options
    I love spinning!!!! and i do a lot of weight lifting!! :) have gotten a LOT LOT smaller since i have lifted, so its rubbish that us women bulk when we lift...we dont have enought testosterone in us to do that.... GET LIFTING! IT CREATES A SEXY STRONG BODY, AND THE MUSCLE REPAIR BURNS LOADS OF CALS EVEN AFTER YOU HAVE FINISHED!!!!!!!!! :D x
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    Sexual intercourse. in like fifteen minutes you burn 77 calories! and that is if you are at my current weight. I am unsure of what it is at other weights.

Hasn't woked for me. I tend to put on weight for 9 months. LOL (I have 8 kids)
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    986 calories burned: Running at 8mph
    913 calories burned: Rollerblading
    730 calories burned: Tae Kwon Do
    730 calories burned: Jump rope
    657 calories burned: Stair treadmill
    584 calories burned: Jogging at 5mph
    511 calories burned: Backpacking
    511 calories burned: Racquetball
    511 calories burned: Cross-country skiing
    511 calories burned: High-impact aerobics

For a person that weighs how much? These don't just apply to everyone.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    High intensity interval training, if you can handle it. Any cardio exercise done at maximum intensity for a period followed by a working rest period. Eg. sprint for 30 seconds, jog/run/walk for 30 seconds. Interval lengths can be altered depending on fitness level (Eg. sprint for 20, jog/run/walk for 40). Any combination of this type of work has been shown to burn more fat and increase fitness faster than simply running for a constant speed. It's basically a version of interval training but you have to work at 100% level. You can adapt this to just about any cardio activity (cycling, cross trainer, swimming, skipping...) and any length intervals (some good ones are tabata 20 secs sprint/10seconds rest or 30/20/10 30 seconds jog, 20 seconds run, 10 seconds sprint. Another advantage of this type of training is that you continue to burn fat after you finish.

Note: you aren't supposed to do this for long periods of time. For a beginner you could warm up for 10-15 minutes (jogging, surging, walking lunges, high knees, skipping, side step, butt kicks), 5-10 minutes of working (Eg. 30 sprint/30jog), 5-10minutes cool down jog/walk. The recovery intervals can be as slow as you need but the working ones must be 100% to get the full benefits.

This is a very intense form of training so I would reccomend working up to it either by doing normal interval training with intense but not 100% efforts or starting with a low number of sprints.

If you have a smart phone you can download an app that will measure the intervals for you.

These are great workouts if you have little time but also much more effective than long runs for fitness and fat loss.
  • TheMommyWifeLife
    Options

Hasn't woked for me. I tend to put on weight for 9 months. LOL (I have 8 kids)

Well i have three lol but that is what protection is for woman haha. this seriously had me cracking up! Youve burned a lot of calories in your life ;)