So..no barbells at gym

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Determinednoo - How many pullups can you do?

If you can do a few, how many can you do one-armed?

I think those two skills will be a lot more applicable during the zombie apocalypse than anything you can do with a squat or deadlift (unless you're squatting because you're trying to cower in a little hole).

Squatting and deadlifting is useful.

But squatting doesn't have to be with a barbell. Pistol squats are very effective, the old school 20 squats done rest-pause and lots of milk works great with pistols, as your cardio system isn't quite as limiting. It still thrashes your legs and causes your leg muscles to get a bigger. As a side effect you end up with neat abilities such as holding the yoga tree pose while on your tip toes for a long time, since your balance muscles get strengthened along with your prime movers.

One armed pulls are a different sort of animal. I can pull 25+ bw chins (don't test much) and work them +55 lb normally and am nowhere near strong enough to even begin one arm chin training. When ice cream makers start getting easy, then it is time to turn your attention to the one arm chin. The one arm chin is on a whole 'nother level, near the physical limit for humans.

I know, waldo. I'm all for BW exercises. I've never liked using artificial weights of any sort. I was trying to make a joke.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

I think those two skills will be a lot more applicable during the zombie apocalypse than anything you can do with a squat or deadlift (unless you're squatting because you're trying to cower in a little hole).

How much can you deadlift? Shall we just whip them out?
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    switch gyms
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    I'm not saying it can't be done, but someone ~6' at 200+ with low enough bf to truly have a 6 pack would be yoked to hell, and he isn't. Not that I am or that there is anything wrong with not being yoked, just sayin the math doesn't add up.

What?

For real, 6'1" 205 is NFL CB sized. Not some jacked dude like you seem to think. At my height 220+ lb at least.

The math adds up just fine.
    http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww269/Waldo56/Self/Collage1001.jpg

You want to split hairs on BF% whatever, but I'm over 200 and bulking just fine with my little dumbbells and bodyweight TYVM, whilst sticking to low rep work. Can't be done without a barbell though.

Nice transformation, Waldo! You look great! :happy:

Thanks.

Link works now. Great progress. I don't see a six pack though. Don't even really see a four pack.
  • chivalryder
    Options

Does it matter what I can or cannot do? I was asking a simple question: Can you do a simple body weight exercise? You look so buff, but can you simply move your own body?
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I was on a crew boat and all they had was a makeshift barbell weighing a big ol 15lbs and a fall prevention guard on one of the ladder wells I did pullups on. You can do a million things with a few sets of dumbbells. Go to failure, adapt and overcome!
    Unless that's not the case, then switch gyms.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the gym owner is a dumbbell for not having a barbell.
  • Determinednoob
    Options

Does it matter what I can or cannot do? I was asking a simple question: Can you do a simple body weight exercise? You look so buff, but can you simply move your own body?

A) Why is your questions any more valid than mine? B) Yes, I can do pullups and C)My whole goal is to look buff, so according to you I already win?
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Hey, if that's your goal, that's your goal.

I intend on doing something with my strength, once I've got it. Looking good is just a bonus side-effect. Mind you, I'm going for smaller muscles/more strength/more endurance. I don't want or need bulk.
  • Determinednoob
    Options

I intend on doing something with my strength, once I've got it. Looking good is just a bonus side-effect. Mind you, I'm going for smaller muscles/more strength/more endurance. I don't want or need bulk.

And what will that something be? And how much can you deadlift? ;)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

chivalryryder has a strong point. My goals mirror his function over form ones. That being said, I cannot think of very many practical applications where the core strength needed to do all these gymnast type of moves would be more practical than the ability to pick up something heavy off the ground without injuring your back or screwing up your joints. In fact I've encountered numerous situations as a motorcycle owner where having the kind of strength needed to lift one end of my bike off the ground without fearing injury would have come in very handy.

The deadlift is one of the single most practical applications of real-world strength. The only thing that would make it even more functional/practical is doing it with an awkward load
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I would switch gyms also. But, if for some reason that's not an option because: You don't really care that much because you can achieve what your goals are without it, and It's extremely convenient and affordable in some very significant way....Then there are things you can do with dumbbells, if they go up very high. You can basically do all the things with dumbbells as you would with barbells, you will just progress at a slower, less efficient rate and have less room to expand to. But, if your goals are different than that's ok. You can do body weight exercises, some machines such as the leg press. And you will work more of your stabilizing muscles using the very heavy dumbbells for military press, bench press, bent over row, lunges and just about any exercise you want to do. Just you will be supporting the weight divided between each hand instead of on the barbell. You will not be able to go as heavy as you would with a barbell because it is a little more awkward since the weight is not evenly distributed with the help of the bar. And if you are not locked into a contract you could do that for a short time and then switch when you outgrow it.

p.s. The people that can't think of any reason why a different type of strength training is needed don't realize that some people are athletes of various kinds and/or actually gymnasts/dancers/skaters...etc. I'm a dancer, so my strength training must include stabilizing, balance, flexibility. Those things do not screw up your joints, they help your joints and will help you survive a serious accident. I was almost killed in a serious accident and was told by the doctors in the ER that being a dancer saved my life.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    That being said, I cannot think of very many practical applications where the core strength needed to do all these gymnast type of moves would be more practical than the ability to pick up something heavy off the ground without injuring your back or screwing up your joints.

That's the biggest selling point for me right now.

I'm a 40 year old woman. I'm not going to become a "real" athlete of any kind at this stage of the game. I just want to live out the rest of my years (that sounds pathetic! I promise I don't feel THAT old!) with as little pain and injury as possible. If weight lifting can keep me from wrenching my back carrying in groceries now and/or keep me from breaking a hip getting out of bed in another 30-40 years, then it's done it's job.

I'm very hypermobile and have always had weak and wonky joints. I used to have my knees, wrists, ankles, back, hips, etc pop out of joint at VERY inopportune times. None of that has happened since I started strength training. I love being able to enjoy "marital relations" and not scream out, "AGH! My hip!" If I scream out during that activity, it's not going to be in pain! :laugh:

Would other forms of resistance training work just as well? Probably. But this is easy, convenient and effective. So I'm going to keep at it.
  • Determinednoob
    Options

chivalryryder has a strong point. My goals mirror his function over form ones. That being said, I cannot think of very many practical applications where the core strength needed to do all these gymnast type of moves would be more practical than the ability to pick up something heavy off the ground without injuring your back or screwing up your joints. In fact I've encountered numerous situations as a motorcycle owner where having the kind of strength needed to lift one end of my bike off the ground without fearing injury would have come in very handy.

The deadlift is one of the single most practical applications of real-world strength. The only thing that would make it even more functional/practical is doing it with an awkward load

Like Rip says if you can deadlift 400 lbs then picking up an awkward 85lb box isn't so tough. Or, a cooler full of ice and beer...
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I meant a real 6 pack. not the half visible nonsense that skinny people like to call a 6 pack.

You mean like the half visible nonsense in your profile pic? :bigsmile:

I don't claim to have one. I've gained 30 pounds in the last 18 months or so.......a 6 pack doesn't help me on the platform, I make myself weigh what I need to weigh.

That being said, I've had much more of a 6 pack than any of the bodyweight excercise fans in here.....I just don't weigh 155 anymore.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

Like Rip says if you can deadlift 400 lbs then picking up an awkward 85lb box isn't so tough. Or, a cooler full of ice and beer...

Words of wisdom. Situations like this are when my strength training actually had benefits in daily life, I can lift things at work without getting injured and I'm awesome when it comes to loading hay bales or wood.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    This was my situation for the past year (now I don't have any- womp womp). I just found a variety of dumbbell moves I could do. Not being able to squat about 50lbs was really irritating, but I was definitely able to make progress.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

That being said, I've had much more of a 6 pack than any of the bodyweight excercise fans in here.....

and just how on earth would you know that?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

That being said, I've had much more of a 6 pack than any of the bodyweight excercise fans in here.....

by clicking their profile and viewing their pictures........

not really sure what your *kitten* attitude is with me. I haven't really said anything to you in this thread or argued with what you've said..........
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

by clicking their profile and viewing their pictures........

not really sure what your *kitten* attitude is with me. I haven't really said anything to you in this thread or argued with what you've said..........

That doesn't make any sense. Most people are here because they are trying to get back into their peak condition, but have gotten older, gained weight (like you have), or they had children, or experienced injuries, any number of reasons. So, you can't look through their pictures to determine what physique they had at their peak.