So..no barbells at gym

Options

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Some thoughts:

- The UK isn't as into gym culture as other places; maybe gyms are sticking to machines because of lack of familiarity in gym-goers - maybe there ISN'T an awesome gym nearby with proper racks etc

- I think, as a person new to lifting, OP should go to the nearest place that fits into her life, that'll make it likeliest she'll go, period

- Weight is weight, and failure is failure

edit: Wendy - :smooched:

I just met you...and this is crazy...but here's my number...so call me, maybe? (unless you are a dude and then only on Saturdays...)

Exactly.

LOL! I'm not a dude ;)

& I saw you answered the question, just thought I'd elaborate, & try to steer it back. But you get the prize :)
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    double post!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Oh I'm sorry. Let me go quit my gym so that I can find a place with barbells and do my deadlifts properly.

I see people do DL's on a smith press all the time. At this gym and at the gym I previously went to. Huge, buff guys who do competitions.

I was just saying. Theres an increased risk for injury, and you're not really deadlifting. It's like squatting on the smith.

Bodybuilders use smith machines a lot, because they aren't concerned with strength, they want to isolate the muscles for hyptertrophy. So yes, you probably saw buff guys deadlifting on them, but you won't see strength athletes doing it.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

LOL! I'm not a dude ;)

& I saw you answered the question, just thought I'd elaborate, & try to steer it back. But you get the prize :)

Thank sweet baby Jesus for small mercies...and you are as graceful and delicate as an Anemone for giving me the prize back *sniff*

I can do some work now without feeling indignant.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    ^^LOL
    post of the day.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Oh I'm sorry. Let me go quit my gym so that I can find a place with barbells and do my deadlifts properly.

I see people do DL's on a smith press all the time. At this gym and at the gym I previously went to. Huge, buff guys who do competitions.

I was just saying. Theres an increased risk for injury, and you're not really deadlifting. It's like squatting on the smith.

Bodybuilders use smith machines a lot, because they aren't concerned with strength, they want to isolate the muscles for hyptertrophy. So yes, you probably saw buff guys deadlifting on them, but you won't see strength athletes doing it.

I'm visualizing a smith deadlift. And how that bar goes straight up and down, vs a barbell deadlift where the bar moves in and out along your shin, knee, and thigh. Then, I think about the shearing forces that are put on your discs as the bar gets farther from your center of gravity (as the smith machine would force it to in a few spots)

OW. I think I herniated a disc just thinking about it.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

I'm visualizing a smith deadlift. And how that bar goes straight up and down, vs a barbell deadlift where the bar moves in and out along your shin, knee, and thigh. Then, I think about the shearing forces that are put on your discs as the bar gets farther from your center of gravity (as the smith machine would force it to in a few spots)

this. and the fact that you pull deads BACK and up. good luck pulling back against a fixed motion machine.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Someone answered the OP's *actual* question! :flowerforyou:

I answered it on page 2!

Why I outta...

Sorry! You can have a flower too! :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    And don't try the BS "functional strenght" nonsense.

heaven forbid function have anything to do with a fitness site.

functional strength is a joke though. it's a blanket term that never really applies to real life.. It's something that weak people and crossfitters use to justify the dumb ways they train.
    If there is a car stuck on top of someone do you want the 145 pound crossfitter or the 220 pound guy who actually lifts.........

Doesn't "functional strength" actually *mean* strength you would use in real life situations? That's what I take it to mean anyway. :ohwell:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

this. and the fact that you pull deads BACK and up. good luck pulling back against a fixed motion machine.

RIght. Maybe I should start. Tired of oozing nasty shins LOL
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    And don't try the BS "functional strenght" nonsense.

heaven forbid function have anything to do with a fitness site.

functional strength is a joke though. it's a blanket term that never really applies to real life.. It's something that weak people and crossfitters use to justify the dumb ways they train.
    If there is a car stuck on top of someone do you want the 145 pound crossfitter or the 220 pound guy who actually lifts.........

Doesn't "functional strength" actually *mean* strength you would use in real life situations? That's what I take it to mean anyway. :ohwell:

I dunno. Maybe? Would being able to squat over 300 be more functional that not being able to squat over 300?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

Yes. But there aren't a ton of life situations where being able to do pushups or pistol squats have much carryover.

I can deadlift well, so anytime something needs to be picked up at work, I can usually do it. but thats as far as "functional" as I've seen it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Yes. But there aren't a ton of life situations where being able to do pushups or pistol squats have much carryover.

I can deadlift well, so anytime something needs to be picked up at work, I can usually do it. but thats as far as "functional" as I've seen it.

dude...thats wonderful. but really, why arent you over at BB.com? there are more guys on the same path as you over there.

no offense
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

dude...thats wonderful. but really, why arent you over at BB.com? there are more guys on the same path as you over there.

no offense

I'm over there.
    But just because I'm not a woman doesn't mean I can't hang out on these boards.........

Typically I'm rather helpful, I just have a bit to say when people mention "strength training".
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

no offense

I'm over there.
    But just because I'm not a woman doesn't mean I can't hang out on these boards.........

Typically I'm rather helpful, I just have a bit to say when people mention "strength training".

didnt imply you were a woman. just remember your way isn't the only way
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Went to the local gym for an induction this morning, they have various machines and free weight dumbells, but no barbells. Point me in the right direction for exercises for these please

You can do almost everything with dumbbells, and for a lot of stuff, considered better because it engages more muscle for balance, doesn't allow strong to compensate for weak, ect.

Only bad ones are squats and deadlifts, which you can do with heavy dumbbells, but don't want to rip your skin off your hands lifting 100lb per hand when you get to that point.

Here is each muscle group. Pick one, there is a section on dumbbells, and proper form.
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WtMale.html
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

didnt imply you were a woman. just remember your way isn't the only way

I even admitted that in this thread.
    My reccommendation was to find a real gym with good equipment. and to lift w/ free weights.

It isn't the only way to go about strength training but it is the optimal way to go about it.......
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    OMG!! OP here :)

I expected barbells 'cos all the trainig stuff people poiinted me in the direction of last week was barbell based!

I am a beginner yes, have been inspired by people on here and fitocracy to try to get from skinny to skinny fit :) I want strength too, and especially core strength which i am working on through pilates. I am not interested in cardio machines as i swim and walk when I want to sweat..And do the Shred when i want to hurt :)

I am in the uk, the gym is my local council one and really is my only option for the moment due to childcare issues. I will be making an appt to see the on staff personal trainer next week.

erm.... Thank you :)
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Some thoughts:

- The UK isn't as into gym culture as other places; maybe gyms are sticking to machines because of lack of familiarity in gym-goers - maybe there ISN'T an awesome gym nearby with proper racks etc

- I think, as a person new to lifting, OP should go to the nearest place that fits into her life, that'll make it likeliest she'll go, period

- Weight is weight, and failure is failure

edit: Wendy - :smooched:

I :> you
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    OMG!! OP here :)

I expected barbells 'cos all the trainig stuff people poiinted me in the direction of last week was barbell based!

I am a beginner yes, have been inspired by people on here and fitocracy to try to get from skinny to skinny fit :) I want strength too, and especially core strength which i am working on through pilates. I am not interested in cardio machines as i swim and walk when I want to sweat..And do the Shred when i want to hurt :)

I am in the uk, the gym is my local council one and really is my only option for the moment due to childcare issues. I will be making an appt to see the on staff personal trainer next week.

erm.... Thank you :)

Congrats on your epic thread