So..no barbells at gym

Options
Went to the local gym for an induction this morning, they have various machines and free weight dumbells, but no barbells. Point me in the right direction for exercises for these please

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Went to the local gym for an induction this morning, they have various machines and free weight dumbells, but no barbells. Point me in the right direction for exercises for these please

I'd switch gyms while you still can......
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    yep
    switch the gym
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'd switch gyms while you still can......

Run, don't walk to some place else. That place shouldn't even be called a gym.
  • girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've wondered the same thing. I signed a contract before I really had any idea what I was doing & once I figured out I wanted to try lifting heavy, I had a conversation with the trainer, who is so skilled at his job that he read the directions off the machines. I need a work around.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Just to beat this dead horse.... I go to a free gym that is set up better than that. Go somewhere else, even if it's a little bit more for membership.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I had pretty good results using the machines at the gym.

But I had amazing frickin' results using free weights instead.

So I'm not going to say, "Ew, you must change gyms." I was completely happy with my results from using machines. I mostly switched to free weights because I hated the act of going to the gym, and bought free weights for home.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    lol @ people who think barbells are necessary for strength training.
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    i would look for a new gym!!!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Dumbells can help get you in shape, but you will need to move up eventually. Go elsewhere.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    So how do you do workout the Chesticles?
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    I walked into a gym like that about 4 years ago. When I asked why no bars, the manager told me it reduced their liability insurance by half. Must not have been enough since that building is now empty.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

lol @ this guy for thinking you don't need barbells for strength training. Let me introduce you to real strength training
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Find ANOTHER GYM.

Really. Truly.

Absolutely agree - machines can get you some results. But, the time will come that you will want and need to move on. Why limit yourself? Before you are locked in to this gym for a year, look around some more.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Necessary? No. Efficient? Hell yeah.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Change gyms.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Let's just say I'm in love with my fricken barbell......you'll have to pry it outta my cold, dead hands. LOL
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Necessary? No. Efficient? Hell yeah.

Yes, there is a huge difference between "This workout is more efficient than that one" and "This is absolutely necessary."
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    While they're not "necessary" to strength training, honestly, I would switch gyms.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    What gym what that?
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

lol @ you.

They are necessary for strength training. At least for any sort of functional strength. Having your body move on one plane of motion and isolating one muscle is fine for some things, but when your supporting muscles can't handle the weight your major muscles can then you aren't really that strong are you...