So..no barbells at gym

Options

Replies

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    But she said her "gym" doesn't have any barbells, theres nothing wrong with people reccommending that she find a real gym. Because even if average is her goal right now, hopefully at some point she wants to do a little more than that.

Fair point.

I just think that the average punter doesn't really care too much about reaching certain strength standards. As long as they have enough strength to make everyday tasks easier and they look good they are happy.

We all don't share the same goals and it is clearly evident that you can achieve those listed above without ever lifting a barbell.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Considering the barbell wasn't invented until 1849, and people before that time were stronger than most strong men of today, I question whether or not a barbell is necessary at all.

Sure, you can squat 300 lbs, but where could you put that to use in the real world where being able to pull 3x50 reps of pistol squats would be equally, or more useful?

How about one-arm pull ups. Can you do that?

The deadlift wasn't even around until 1910-1920.

What do you suppose the Spartans did before any free weights were invented? There has never been any stronger group of men in existence since the Spartans.

Anyway, I'm hijacking the thread. Back to the OP's original response.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Just my personal opinion, but as a beginner, I wouldn't recommend trying any free weights at all, dumbbell or barbell, without having a personal trainer. You can seriously hurt yourself by using improper form, especially on a repetitive motion.

Even watching videos on the Internet does not help as much as you would think when you are starting from ground zero.

So if that gym doesn't have personal trainers (they are not cheap, but they are worth it), you definitely should find a new gym.

This has been my thoughts. I plan on joining a local community center that has a small weight room, along with several cardio machines, a baskeball court and game room that my teenagers will enjoy. They have a bench and dumbells and machines, but no barbell. I am joining anyway because it's only $90 for our whole family for a year. I can't buy the equipment I need for that price, and I'm not trying to have an extra monthly bill right now. I already remember how to use most of the machines and can teach my kids what I know.

More importantly, I don't have the money to pay a personal trainer. It is easy to use the machines correctly without fearing injury. A year from now, I will likely choose a different path. Or maybe I will win the lottery and buy my own gym. :smokin:
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Considering the barbell wasn't invented until 1849, and people before that time were stronger than most strong men of today, I question whether or not a barbell is necessary at all.

Sure, you can squat 300 lbs, but where could you put that to use in the real world where being able to pull 3x50 reps of pistol squats would be equally, or more useful?

What do you suppose the Spartans did before any free weights were invented? There has never been any stronger group of men in existence since the Spartans.

O M G ................
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

The only people who were stronger back then were laborers that had jobs that pushed them to their limits 12 hours a day. The upper-classes, who had days more similar to a typical office workers, weren't body builder look-a-likes. Seriously, this post is beyond irrelevant.

OP: Switch gyms. The one you are currently using probably is focusing more on the cardio and light strength crowd, so find one with similar goals as you.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

where are you getting any of this from? I seriously doubt guys from the 1850s are stronger than the powerlifters/strongmen of today..............
    Look at the weights being used in competition 40 years ago compared to what is being used today and you'll see what I'm talking about.

And don't try the BS "functional strenght" nonsense. Yes, I think my 365 squat better suits me to a danger situation much more than some 140 pound kid who can do pistol squats.......it's called strength and you need it.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

The only people who were stronger back then were laborers that had jobs that pushed them to their limits 12 hours a day. The upper-classes, who had days more similar to a typical office workers, weren't body builder look-a-likes. Seriously, this post is beyond irrelevant.

agreed. this is why eastern europeans are so awesome at strongman. they were laborers who worked long days carrying and dragging things. that doesn't mean barbells suck.......
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    And don't try the BS "functional strenght" nonsense.

heaven forbid function have anything to do with a fitness site.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

Yet somehow world records in strength were set recently
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You could do either of these for at least 6 months.

http://www.stumptuous.com/workout-6

And I think you could probably do NROLFW, with a few substitutions.

edit: my gym has barbells, but the plates are very small which means I can`t do certain exercises. However, I have been able to do substitute exercises with dumbbells (I think they go up to 90 lbs). The mechanics of using DBs vs BBs is slightly different, but not impossible to overcome with some creativity.

For example:
    - Instead of BB hip thrust > single leg DB glute bridge
    - Instead of back or front squat > goblet squat, single leg squat, Bulgarian split squat
    - Deadlifts > 1-legged romanian deadlifts; DB deadlifts; step-ups work many of the same muscles, especially if you use a high step
    - You can do rows a million ways, no problem there

(Most of those are from the link above - see also exrx, OR this book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Womens-Health-Big-Book-Exercises/dp/1605295493 )

Someone answered the OP's *actual* question! :flowerforyou:
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Some thoughts:

- The UK isn't as into gym culture as other places; maybe gyms are sticking to machines because of lack of familiarity in gym-goers - maybe there ISN'T an awesome gym nearby with proper racks etc

- I think, as a person new to lifting, OP should go to the nearest place that fits into her life, that'll make it likeliest she'll go, period

- Weight is weight, and failure is failure

edit: Wendy - :smooched:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    And don't try the BS "functional strenght" nonsense.

heaven forbid function have anything to do with a fitness site.

functional strength is a joke though. it's a blanket term that never really applies to real life.. It's something that weak people and crossfitters use to justify the dumb ways they train.
    If there is a car stuck on top of someone do you want the 145 pound crossfitter or the 220 pound guy who actually lifts.........
  • myofibril
    Options
    Someone answered the OP's *actual* question! :flowerforyou:

I answered it on page 2!

Why I outta...
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I think it's kind of hilarious the way this thread turned. All answers ranged from "GET A NEW GYM!" to "I'M THE WORLDS STRONGEST MAN BECAUSE I PICK THINGS UP AND PUT THEM DOWN!" :laugh:

I used to go to a gym that had barbells and all kinds of machines. The only thing I really used the barbells for was dead lifts, good mornings and the occasional bicep work. I currently go to a gym that does not have barbells and I use the smith machine (OMG! I KNOW RIGHT?! BLAST ME FOR IT!!) for my dead lifts and I really don't foresee myself curling more than the 65 lbs that they have for the dumbbells but on the off chance that I do I'll use the cable machine. I've been going to this gym for over a year and I lift heavier than I have before, have a beautifully muscular body and I'm pretty damn strong.

All this without barbells. Go figure.

ETA: Oh, and the reason I quit the other gym was because 1) it was just way too expensive and 2) it was not worth the $12 "day pass" that I was paid on the two or three days a week I went there with my husband (I was currently working out at the fitness center at the company I worked for) and 3) a "family" membership was too expensive. Now I get to go to my husbands gym for free as a guest. I'll take that over any fancy place that has all this equipment I'll probably never use.
  • myofibril
    Options
    Some thoughts:

- The UK isn't as into gym culture as other places; maybe gyms are sticking to machines because of lack of familiarity in gym-goers - maybe there ISN'T an awesome gym nearby with proper racks etc

- I think, as a person new to lifting, OP should go to the nearest place that fits into her life, that'll make it likeliest she'll go, period

- Weight is weight, and failure is failure

edit: Wendy - :smooched:

I just met you...and this is crazy...but here's my number...so call me, maybe? (unless you are a dude and then only on Saturdays...)

Exactly.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    "Strength training" means training to get stronger and is in fact what is under discussion right now. Squatting 300 is still novice level for an average height man and can be achieved in under a year. If a man wants "strength training" to continue to be strength training, then he should be concerned about squatting 300. (yes i know the op is a woman)

This is truth. Within a couple months of my first time on the squat rack I was doing 225 for reps.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    I think it's kind of hilarious the way this thread turned. All answers ranged from "GET A NEW GYM!" to "I'M THE WORLDS STRONGEST MAN BECAUSE I PICK THINGS UP AND PUT THEM DOWN!" :laugh:

I used to go to a gym that had barbells and all kinds of machines. The only thing I really used the barbells for was dead lifts, good mornings and the occasional bicep work. I currently go to a gym that does not have barbells and I use the smith machine (OMG! I KNOW RIGHT?! BLAST ME FOR IT!!) for my dead lifts and I really don't foresee myself curling more than the 65 lbs that they have for the dumbbells but on the off chance that I do I'll use the cable machine. I've been going to this gym for over a year and I lift heavier than I have before, have a beautifully muscular body and I'm pretty damn strong.

deads on a smith? i've seen it all now.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Oh I'm sorry. Let me go quit my gym so that I can find a place with barbells and do my deadlifts properly.

I see people do DL's on a smith press all the time. At this gym and at the gym I previously went to. Huge, buff guys who do competitions.
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    "Strength training" means training to get stronger and is in fact what is under discussion right now. Squatting 300 is still novice level for an average height man and can be achieved in under a year. If a man wants "strength training" to continue to be strength training, then he should be concerned about squatting 300. (yes i know the op is a woman)

This is truth. Within a couple months of my first time on the squat rack I was doing 225 for reps.

But you coulda got that strong that fast with dumbbells or bodyweight right?
  • Determinednoob
    Options

Oh I'm sorry. Let me go quit my gym so that I can find a place with barbells and do my deadlifts properly.

I see people do DL's on a smith press all the time. At this gym and at the gym I previously went to.

I see dead people...