CROCKtober - break out your crock pot recipes for October!

Options

Replies

• pinklolipops
    pinklolipops Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kcrojas630
    kcrojas630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes!
  • bearsmom82
    bearsmom82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump and thank you!
  • asmallermeplz
    asmallermeplz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: BUMP thanks!! Guess I need to go buy a crock pot
  • kissedbytheocean
    kissedbytheocean Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I made this in my crock pot last night - not only does it taste pretty good, but my apartment smelled AMAZING when I woke up today!

2 1/2 cups peeled and cubed macintosh apple
    3 cups peeled and cubed sweet potato
    1 1/2 cups cleaned and cubed butternut squash
    1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
    1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    1 tablespoon honey

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spread apple, sweet potato, and squash on a greased cookie sheet, then sprinkle with the pumpkin pie spice. Roast for 10-15 minutes.

Transfer the roasted veggies to a crock pot and top with 2 cups of vegetable broth, a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, and a tablespoon of honey. Cook on low for 6 hours. Mash vegetables for last half hour of cooking, or use a blender after the soup has cooled to give it a smooth, creamy texture.

4 servings, 165 calories each.

This sounds so amazing. Thanks for sharing!
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • MaggieAudiologist
    Options
    bump
  • lisa46219
    lisa46219 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I just had an amazing meal.
    I put a few frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot with a half of container of salsa.
    8 hours later and I had AMAZING, juicy, tasty chicken. So much better than I thought it would have tasted! Tons of flavor!
    I could have eaten it just like that -- but I did throw it on a small baked potato. YUM!
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dap1217
    dap1217 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • sheribrasington
    Options
    Bump
  • Ceceamanda
    Ceceamanda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    There's so many good ones! Bump!!!
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yup...this one is definitely bump-worthy!
  • kkrough
    kkrough Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Bump =)
  • berryjwells
    berryjwells Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon apples

6-8 apples cored and sliced (I've used gala and granny smith)
    2 tbs raw maple syrup (not pancake syrup)
    1/3 c agave
    1 tsp vanilla
    3 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp nutmeg
    2 tbsp Earth balance/butter/margrine
    Cinnamon sticks (optional)

Slice apple slices so they are thin. Spray cooker with cooking spray and place apples on bottom. Add all ingredients, toss to coat. Cook on low minimum of 2 hrs, up to 6 hrs.
  • losingdreamie
    Options
    I put 4-5 chicken breasts in the crock pot with a 12 oz can of your favorite beer. Add 1 tsp of oregano, 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper. I also throw in a sliced onion.

Cook it on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.

My family loves it and its low in points if you follow weight watchers.

30073092.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I make this.. you can vary the veggies/seasonings.. then I make stock overnight from the carcass and any veggie bits I have left. (celery, onion, carrot, garlic) The stock is great to have on hand.

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/02/25/recipe-the-best-whole-chicken-in-a-crock-pot/

The Best Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot
    Ingredients

2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon thyme
    ½ teaspoon garlic powder
    ¼ teaspoon cayenne (red) pepper
    ¼ teaspoon black pepper
    1 onion
    1 large chicken

Directions

Combine the dried spices in a small bowl.
    Loosely chop the onion and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker.
    Remove any giblets from the chicken and then rub the spice mixture all over. You can even put some of the spices inside the cavity and under the skin covering the breasts.
    Put prepared chicken on top of the onions in the slow cooker, cover it, and turn it on to high. There is no need to add any liquid.
    Cook for 4 – 5 hours (for a 3 or 4 pound chicken) or until the chicken is falling off the bone. Don’t forget to make your homemade stock with the leftover bones!

Overnight Chicken Stock in the Crock Pot
    Ingredients

Leftover chicken bones or carcass roughly equivalent to one small or medium sized chicken
    1 onion, peeled and loosely chopped
    1 rib of celery, roughly chopped
    1 carrot, roughly chopped (no need to peel)
    1 bay leaf
    1 sprig fresh parsley
    1 sprig fresh thyme
    Salt, to taste
    Note: If you are missing any of these ingredients I wouldn’t let that stop you from making it anyway.

Stock Directions

After removing all edible meat from the chicken put/leave the bones, skin, cooking juices, etc. in the crock pot. If you are using the chicken carcass from the “The Best Whole Chicken in the Crock Pot” recipe just leave every single thing that’s leftover (except the good meat of course) in the crock pot including the original onion and spices you used when making the chicken.
    Add the onion, celery, carrot and spices on top of the bones and fill the crock pot almost to the top with tap water (leaving about 1/2” at the top).
    Turn the slow cooker onto “low” after dinner and cook all night long or alternatively you could start it in the morning and cook on “low” for 8 – 10 hours during the day.
    After the stock is done cooking turn off the heat and, using a soup ladle, pass the stock through a fine sieve to remove all herbs/bones/etc. Either refrigerate or freeze the stock for future use. I usually freeze some in both 1 and 2-cup portions, and I also sometimes freeze stock in ice cube trays just in case I just “need a little” for making sauce or rice.
    This stock is great in soups like chicken noodle soup and also in rice like risotto. Enjoy!