CROCKtober - break out your crock pot recipes for October!

Options

Replies

• BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mandersatx
    Options
    Pork Carnitas

2-3 lbs raw pork carnitas (look like 1# lean pork roasts, usually 2-3 to a package)
    1 small jar of salsa (I prefer Pace picante, medium)
    1 can of chopped tomatoes with juices
    1 sm can of tomato sauce
    2 tsp cumin/comino
    2 small onions, sliced
    1 bell pepper, core, halve, then sliced
    Optional: anaheims, poblanos, jalepenos - whatever kind you find to suit your preferred spiciness)

Put half the veggies in the bottom of the crock. Put in the meat. Add the rest of the veggies. Pour all the liquids in, sprinkle with the cumin. Low for 8-10 hrs.

Shred the meat, add it back to the sauce, mix well.

I serve this in tortillas with fresh chopped cilantro & cheese for dinner the first night (enough for a family of four, with beans & a salad).

I freeze the leftovers, then use them to make pork enchiladas a few weeks later.

This recipe is an approximation. I never make it the same way twice. I've added fresh sliced mushrooms, a bay leaf, chili powder. If I'm emptying the fridge (getting rid of 1/2 empty salsa jars, ect), I'll add a little beef broth so it has enough liquid. It typically doesn't need extra salt because of the canned tomatoes and salsa. This recipe is VERY forgiving.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Healthy Slow Cooker Hungarian Goulash Recipe

Ingredients

2 pounds lean stew meat (beef or venison), cut into 1 inch cubes
    1 onion, sliced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 cup ketchup
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    2 teaspoons smoked paprika
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 tablespoon corn or rice starch
    2 cups cooked Quinoa

Directions

Place the meat in a 5 quart slow cooker and cover with the sliced onion.
    Combine the garlic, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, coconut palm sugar, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and dry mustard. Stir in the water and mix well. Then pour mixture over the meat in the slow cooker.

Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. If mixture gets dry, add more water (1/2 cup at a time).
    Just before serving, remove a couple of tablespoons of liquid from the slow cooker and put into a small bowl. Add corn or rice starch and stir until dissolved. Pour starch mixture into the slow cooker and stir until goulash thickens.
    Spoon goulash over Quinoa and serve.

Prep Time: 15 - 20 Minutes
    Cook Time: 6 - 8 Hours
    Total Time: 6:15 - 8 Hours 20 Minutes

Servings: Serves 6

Calories: 412
    Calories from Fat: 46
    Total Fat: 5.1g
    Saturated fat: 5g
    Unsaturated fat: .1g
    Sodium: 681mg
    Total Carbohydrates: 46.7g
    Sugar: 8.5g
    Fiber: 4.5g
    Protein: 41.7g
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I just had an amazing meal.
    I put a few frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot with a half of container of salsa.
    8 hours later and I had AMAZING, juicy, tasty chicken. So much better than I thought it would have tasted! Tons of flavor!
    I could have eaten it just like that -- but I did throw it on a small baked potato. YUM!

Thanks I need a super easy recipe for Chicken and many times frozen chicken pulled out at the last minute, and it does not get any easier than this recipe. I always heard never cook frozen chicken in a crockpot, but you just proved the info wrong. Thank You everyone who are submitting recipes to this link. :flowerforyou:
  • Rome2211
    Options
    Bump :)
  • principessa133
    principessa133 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Bump.. Thanks for the great recipes :smile:
  • Ichristini
    Ichristini Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I made this in my crock pot last night - not only does it taste pretty good, but my apartment smelled AMAZING when I woke up today!

2 1/2 cups peeled and cubed macintosh apple
    3 cups peeled and cubed sweet potato
    1 1/2 cups cleaned and cubed butternut squash
    1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
    1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    1 tablespoon honey

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spread apple, sweet potato, and squash on a greased cookie sheet, then sprinkle with the pumpkin pie spice. Roast for 10-15 minutes.

Transfer the roasted veggies to a crock pot and top with 2 cups of vegetable broth, a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, and a tablespoon of honey. Cook on low for 6 hours. Mash vegetables for last half hour of cooking, or use a blender after the soup has cooled to give it a smooth, creamy texture.

4 servings, 165 calories each.

This sounds AMAZING! Thank you for sharing and including nutritional info! I'm going to bring this for Thanksgiving

25851322.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Morrocan Chicken & Lentils

8 oz baby carrots
    1 1/2 cups dry lentils
    24oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
    2 tbsp minced garlic
    3/4 tsp salt
    4 cups chicken broth
    2 tsp Morrocan Rub

Throw everything in crock pot. Cook on low 8 to 10 hours. Shred chicken and enjoy!

Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 lb boneless skinless chicken
    2 10 oz can enchilada sauce
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 can diced tomatoes w/ green chilis
    1 can drained black beans
    1 bag frozen mixed stir fry veggies
    1 bag frozen peppers & onions
    3 minced cloves garlic
    2 boxes chicken broth
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp chili powder
    2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1 bay leaf
    1 tbsp chopped cilantro

Throw everything in crock pot. Cook on low 8 to 10 hours. Shred chicken. Top with crushed baked tostitos and reduced fat mexican blend cheese. Enjoy!
    just found the soup recipe on tv the other day!!! I have always like lentil soup so I will try your recipe sounds good where do I find the rub and is it spicy or hot?:devil: :explode: :laugh: :laugh:
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    What do Lentils taste like, is it like a very earthy taste to them?

Lentils absorb flavor pretty well so it depends what you cook it with. If you cook it down plain in just salted water it's kind of bland.
    [/quote]
    and eat with caution high in fiber :laugh: :wink:
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Saving for later
  • bosslady2012
    Options
    :smile:
    Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 10 • Size: 1 1/4 cups • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 203.7 • Fat: 1.4 g • Carb: 33.3 g • Fiber: 10.0 g • Protein: 16.9 g

Ingredients:

1 onion, chopped
    1 16-oz can black beans
    1 16-oz can kidney beans
    1 8-oz can tomato sauce
    10 oz package frozen corn kernels
    2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
    1 packet taco seasoning
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tbsp chili powder

24 oz (3-4) boneless skinless chicken breasts
    chili peppers, chopped (optional)

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    Directions:

Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro. Also try it with low fat cheese and sour cream
  • readanddance
    readanddance Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Bump to save thread! I love my crockpot!!
  • liberella
    liberella Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Great! Always looking for ideas -- I got a crockpot and it seems to burn everything. Anyone have suggestions for food crockpots?
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I am always interested in crock pot recipes!!! I recently made an AWESOME chicken enchilada soup that my husband absolutely loved! I have this recipe and many others on my blog: meetmrsb.blogspot.com
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ercarnes
    ercarnes Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • jennyrae719
    Options
    bump
  • bosslady2012
    Options
    THE GOOD WILL I BROUGH ONE THATS BRAND NEW FOR 14.99 AND ITS THE HUGE ONES
  • Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Made chili in the crockpot for the fam, hillbilly hoursewife recipe. Served over spaghetti with cheese, made enough to freeze a portion for another meal for 4.

Combine 2 lbs browned ground beef, 1 med onion chopped, 1 bell pepper chopped, 2 celery sticks chopped, 2 cans diced tomatoes, 1 can tomato sauce, 2 cans pinto beans, and 1 1/2 T each chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce of your choice.
    I cooked on High 4 hours.

Can't wait to try her Butternut Squash Soup recipe this weekend as it gets cold here.
    Sauté 1 chopped onion in 2 T butter until soft. Put into crockpot with a 2 lb butternut squash peeled and diced, 2 C water, 4 vegetable bullion cubes (I use Better than Bullion which is amazing), 1/2 t marjoram leaves, 1/4 t pepper, 1/8 t cayenne.
    Cook on Low 6-8 hours then blend 1/3 to 1/2 of the soup in a blender, return to the crockpot and add 8 oz cream cheese, and cook on Low another 30 mins until hot.
    Not sure I'll use all 8 oz cream cheese, planning to play that by taste bud. :)