Would you use a 'unfit' looking personal trainer?

Options

Replies

• NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Why not? A coach doesn't have to walk the walk in the slightest. Simply get the best out of you. Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake's coach won't run as fast as they do, but he does a pretty good job. The same applies to coaches the world over.

Wow, I'd never thought of it that way. I'm going to work toward my PT certification but I don't feel like I'm where I want to be quite yet and was reluctant because of that. I know not everyone will see me now - 39lbs lighter - and think "wow, she'd be an awesome trainer!!" based on first look, but this thinking is going to push me to be the best I can be for myself and for those I train in the future. Where's that "LIKE" button when you need it!?!?!
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    I couldn't have a PT that din't look lik ethey pratcite what they freach, nuless there was some reason for it .. for example there is a guy at my gym who know his stuff , but was in a cr accident so he can't do what he know
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    being a personal trainer i think it is important to practice what you preach for example you wouldnt get a tattoo done by a person who has no tattoos :)

no hate towards people having personal training as a career but you are meant to inspire others and by not looking fit (completely different to being fit) i think its not very good promotion

That's why I'm still in training :)
    Year long course so by the end I'm gonna look like I belong
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    HOW do you people think you can judge fitness by appearance exactly?
    They are 2 very separate things..
    Someone can be fat and fit or someone can be thin and unfit...

eg I still weigh 173 but I can run 10kms non stop, dance for hours nonstop, and lift heavy weights. A friend of mine on the other hand weighs 110 and gets puffed walking up the stairs.

yes but I'm not gonna take lifting advice from a kid who weights 140 and squats 225................

I'm not saying you should walk into a gym, say "this guy looks like crap" and walk back out. Meet with the trainer, and do a session with them. But if they aren't capable of achieving the results youre looking for, what makes you think they can help you achieve them?

And how do you know they aren't in the middle of a weight loss journey themselves?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    No. They better look like the hulk and act like they could whoop my *kitten*. No one wants an un-intimidating trainer. GAWD
  • jgm379
    jgm379 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use one who doesn't know what its like to have to lose weight. Why should I listen to someone who's never had an ounce of fat on their body? I wouldn't use a male doctor to deliver my baby either. What does he know? Just my opinion.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    HOW do you people think you can judge fitness by appearance exactly?
    They are 2 very separate things..
    Someone can be fat and fit or someone can be thin and unfit...

eg I still weigh 173 but I can run 10kms non stop, dance for hours nonstop, and lift heavy weights. A friend of mine on the other hand weighs 110 and gets puffed walking up the stairs.

yes but I'm not gonna take lifting advice from a kid who weights 140 and squats 225................

I'm not saying you should walk into a gym, say "this guy looks like crap" and walk back out. Meet with the trainer, and do a session with them. But if they aren't capable of achieving the results youre looking for, what makes you think they can help you achieve them?

And how do you know they aren't in the middle of a weight loss journey themselves?

If they are a personal trainer whose entire job/life revolves around fitness, how'd they get to that point to begin with?
  • lewist90
    lewist90 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use one who doesn't know what its like to have to lose weight. Why should I listen to someone who's never had an ounce of fat on their body? I wouldn't use a male doctor to deliver my baby either. What does he know? Just my opinion.

because they know how to not have an ounce of fat on thier bodies :P
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Then they have no business teaching...........

You don't send a kid with his learner's permit to Daytona to teach people how to race...... I don't care how much the kid has read, he needs to do it first.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of "Trainers are useless" comments. Even if you can get all your information on the internet, a trainer is there to motivate you & make sure you don't hurt yourself. Also, walking into the gym alone as a first-timer is pretty intimidating. If someone has a trainer holding their hand, the "alpha male" section of the gym isn't so scary. I know that my clients (especially my male clients) push themselves MUCH harder with me than they would on their own.

That being said, I think trainers should definitely be fit. Unless they're injured or old.
  • dcat4563
    dcat4563 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    do they have references other than themselves? if they are out of shape but have the knowledge to get others into shape and have proved they can, then why not?
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    yea i see a lot of unfit trainers at my gym all the time.. i always wondered bout that..
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Because most people don't walk up to their PT's and go OMG why are you so fat?

Plus talking about weight loss is not something a lot of people do unless they are specifically asked... and how rude would it be of a potential client to ask if they plan on losing weight just so they look like a sterotypical PT?

So what that you can lift/run and are super fit.. unless you look like it, not a lot of people are going to trust you.
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    I'd still try them out, no doubt. Finding the right personal trainer can be tricky. It took me a while to find my first trainer and she is amazing! Unfortunately, she left my gym so I was stuck with trying to find a new one. I still talk to my old trainer, she's turned into a great friend and mentor. I had several sessions with others who just flat out sucked for me, but totally work for other people. In the end, my contract expired and I've since found a smaller gym that I'm so far happy with (my quads...not so much ;) )

Having the right dynamic/relationship with a personal trainer is hard, so who cares what they look like so long as they listen to you and help you meet your goals? In working with a PT I know what's important to me, and because they're so not cheap, I know they should listen to me and always have MY best interest, goals and capabilities in mind. I want to be pushed, and I let them know that, but I have issues with my knees so they know that sometimes they're going to have to modify what they had planned for me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of "Trainers are useless" comments. Even if you can get all your information on the internet, a trainer is there to motivate you & make sure you don't hurt yourself. Also, walking into the gym alone as a first-timer is pretty intimidating. If someone has a trainer holding their hand, the "alpha male" section of the gym isn't so scary. I know that my clients (especially my male clients) push themselves MUCH harder with me than they would on their own.

That being said, I think trainers should definitely be fit. Unless they're injured or old.

If it's a GOOD trainer, I agree with this. But I've come across a LOT of lousy ones. And the last one I worked with didn't know not to have people do static stretches with cold muscle, which can cause injury. So ...

There was worse, but he was awful.

The very first trainer I ever worked with was very good and knew his stuff, so they are out there. But if you yourself don't know better and you get a trainer who's crap, then you learn what that trainer tells you and think it's correct.
  • bertabird
    Options
    I am 5'4" and 225 pounds. I am a brand new weight loss coach. I have lost 67 pounds since February 2012. My diet has changed, my energy is up and I feel amazing. It showed so much that people took notice and wanted advice. One look at me and all people (who don't know me) see is fat. But, I am DOING something about it.
    The ladies I coach don't look at how I look now. They look at what I looked like before, because honestly, they look like I did.
    They find inspiration and support from me. I bust their *kitten* when they eat crap, I bust their *kitten* when they need to push just a wee bit more.
    I don't make them do anything that I wouldn't do or haven't already done.
    Knowledge is power and motivation leads to accomplishment. That is something we all need.
    Fat Personal Trainer? I don't know. I mean, if I was forkin' out big bucks for one I might think twice.
    But, do people know the trainer, were they recommended? Maybe the trainer is really good at egging someone on to do the right thing.
    Word of mouth is a great advertiser. If this personal trainer was known for their customers great RESULTS I think I would want that person in my corner, ya know? ;o)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    HELL NO
  • FitNewEm
    FitNewEm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a trainer to bulk you up, I don't know. I know that I need fitness training and my trainer that is fit, not bulked up, gives me real practical advice. We even swap recipes!
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

because they know how to not have an ounce of fat on thier bodies :P

Oh right, even the ones which just have the fast metabolisms and the genetics? But still eat crap but don't gain weight.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Nope sure wouldn't!