Would you use a 'unfit' looking personal trainer?

Options

Replies

• Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Just to flip this, the trainer I had in mind isn't actually overweight. She's very underweight. Very low body fat, very little muscle. If I'm honest she looks very unhealthy. She certainly doesn't look at the peak of physical fitness.

I have one of those at our gym and tell you what...

Never told anyone, but I kinda have a crush on her... Those bigger PTs aren't nearly as nice IMO... but then again I have issues of my own to deal with and she just looks again IMO... sexy as anything, might be underweight maybe, but she looks more like a super model than a PT tbh....
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I'm a Powerplate personal trainer...I have to look good to advertise the training and the fact they get my knowledge and experience for the duration of their session.
    If I was heavy I'd be a mockery of the fitness game.
    I have several of my clients aiming for how I look which is a compliment.
    And they get worked HARD.
  • dallasfloyd
    Options
    i am using a not prefectly fit personal trainer but very happy in the last 3 weeks and the only thing i have followed is the diet 75%... I just took my before and after pics after 3 weeks and totally amazed
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I'm a Powerplate personal trainer...I have to look good to advertise the training and the fact they get my knowledge and experience for the duration of their session.
    If I was heavy I'd be a mockery of the fitness game.
    I have several of my clients aiming for how I look which is a compliment.
    And they get worked HARD.

I am also a PT(NASM). You do realize a lot of personal trainers, despite how they look get mocked for the ridiculous theories, and claims they make by unapproved science?

Such as eat 6 meals a day, take protein before/after a workout to build muscle mass etc..

I don't make ridiculous theories..I just work hard and give advice the best to my ability.
    I only ever tell my clients what works for me..it's up to them if they decide to follow my advice or to read and undertake stuff they read on the Internet.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much knowledge they had. I still listen to my doctor even if he smokes about the dangers of smoking.

Exactly. You don't have to practice what you preach to know what you are talking about. I met a trainer that didn't "appear" to be in good shape, and was working on getting in better shape. He started working out with a trainer when he was obese and loved working out so much that it changed his life and lifestyle. He was so happy to have had the personal trainer that he decided he wanted to be one and help other people change their lives as his had been changed.

I certainly would use an unfit looking trainer...if they knew their stuff....and I know enough to know if they are full of it.

Another thing to consider is, maybe they have a sports injury and this is the best way they can still be around fitness and sports. Many people don't want to wake up and do a job every day they hate, it simply could be their passion.
  • loveYOUmore319
    loveYOUmore319 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My step class instructor is not in shape but she sure can teach an amazing step class! She is my fave instructor! :)
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I HIRED A TRAINER THAT I FELT WAS "UNFIT"..I DID EVERYTHING THEY ASKED, I TRAINED FOR WEIGHT LOSS, DID IT FOR 8 LONG WEEKS 3-4 PER WEEK...MY RESULTS...WELL, I GAINED 1 .8 LBS....SO TO ANSWER THE QUESTION, HELL NO!

Where are your body measurements to back up these claims? I would be willing to bet you lost inches unless you just totally *kitten* the bed on your diet & over consumed.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Out of shape trainers can know their stuff. It doesn't take fitness to read a book and learn about excercise and nutrition. So I wouldn't say that they aren't capable of doing the job.

That being said, I would only want to work with someone who was in shape and had clearly spent time under the bar. You can read 1000 books, but unless you've actually spent time doing the activity, you have no business teaching others.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i would let arnold shwarzennegger train me and he has fat everywhere these days
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

he also has a good amount of muscle mass still. have you seen him recently??
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

he also has a good amount of muscle mass still. have you seen him recently??

I've seen him in interviews, thats about it. Obviously, he knows his stuff... I mean he is ARNOLD! :)
  • JScarbo
    JScarbo Posts: 30
    Options
    I don't use pt's, but I have trained with a close quarter fighting instructor that was overweight and not impressive looking. This guy was awesome, would not judge on body types.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    HOW do you people think you can judge fitness by appearance exactly?
    They are 2 very separate things..
    Someone can be fat and fit or someone can be thin and unfit...

eg I still weigh 173 but I can run 10kms non stop, dance for hours nonstop, and lift heavy weights. A friend of mine on the other hand weighs 110 and gets puffed walking up the stairs.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

eg I still weigh 173 but I can run 10kms non stop, dance for hours nonstop, and lift heavy weights. A friend of mine on the other hand weighs 110 and gets puffed walking up the stairs.

yes but I'm not gonna take lifting advice from a kid who weights 140 and squats 225................

I'm not saying you should walk into a gym, say "this guy looks like crap" and walk back out. Meet with the trainer, and do a session with them. But if they aren't capable of achieving the results youre looking for, what makes you think they can help you achieve them?
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

yes but I'm not gonna take lifting advice from a kid who weights 140 and squats 225................

I'm not saying you should walk into a gym, say "this guy looks like crap" and walk back out. Meet with the trainer, and do a session with them. But if they aren't capable of achieving the results youre looking for, what makes you think they can help you achieve them?

Maybe. Just maybe. They have the knowledge to get you where you want to be.

I remember an old saying; "Those who can't do... teach."
  • lewist90
    lewist90 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    being a personal trainer i think it is important to practice what you preach for example you wouldnt get a tattoo done by a person who has no tattoos :)

no hate towards people having personal training as a career but you are meant to inspire others and by not looking fit (completely different to being fit) i think its not very good promotion
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Why not? A coach doesn't have to walk the walk in the slightest. Simply get the best out of you. Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake's coach won't run as fast as they do, but he does a pretty good job. The same applies to coaches the world over.

I was leaning toward yes and this solidified it for me =D
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I was just pondering the other day, whilst in the gym. We have several PT's at my gym, none of which, if i'm honest look like they practice what they preach so to speak. So would you use a unfit looking personal trainer? I know my view on it, just interested in other peoples ;-)

I have worked with two trainers at my gym (free sessions). Both were in great shape personally, but they were clueless. I wouldn't pay either of them since I know more than they did, put together.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    No, for the same reason I won't go to hairstylist who had bad hair. I would have a hard time listening to someone who doesn't follow their own advice.

This exactly
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Why not? A coach doesn't have to walk the walk in the slightest. Simply get the best out of you. Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake's coach won't run as fast as they do, but he does a pretty good job. The same applies to coaches the world over.

I was leaning toward yes and this solidified it for me =D

Yes! Marv Levy never played football in his life, but he coacked the Bills to four Super Bowls in a row (we won't talk about the rest of that story ... lol).