Is it just me......Always overbudget

Options

Replies

• bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    2 years ago i took control of my money. I reduced all my bills using comparison sites, i snowballed all debts i had and now i've passed the tipping point with the same mentality im saving lots of money every month!

I realised i didnt need cable tv, i didnt need an expensive cellphone and i didnt need a great car. Now my car is economical and i have a lift share to work i save lots.

You'll be suprised just how much money you waste when you get into the fine detail.
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't have a budget ha. Went out the window a long time ago. My husband and I both have a retirement and we put every extra penny we have into renovating our house. I feel that is an alright investment. After that is done, we will start saving. We both have good jobs and are never wanting for anything...except for the house to be done ha. But we are paying for everything out of pocket and are pretty good about finding deals. I have found that the more money we make, the more we spend. Oh, well. Can' take it with you, enjoy life now. :)
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    ah yup, single mom, college student, too many dogs to count...ugh.
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yep, me too. I have 4 kids, so no matter how carefully I budget,something always seems to come up. But I know that we are still fortunate, because we have jobs, and a place to live, and cars to drive. So I try to remind myself of that

Have to totally agree with this ^^^, because unfortunately with today's global economy not all of us can say the same.
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I suppose I should have cut a hole in a garbage bag for my daughter to go out for holloween as a rock. than spend $35.00 on a costume.

Actually not a bad idea. I've never in my life worn a store bought halloween costume. With a little creativity, you can often make a cuter costume for much cheaper. Thrift stores are a great resource for this.

So... maybe not a rock, but a pet rock would be awfully cute.

And yes, I mean thrift store, as in a store that sells second hand or donated clothing. At places like Goodwill, all proceeds go to support job training and other great causes, so why not?

How else is a girl supposed to find awesome gems like used Air force jumpsuits and the like? (That one made a great Ghostbusters outfit. Ooooo... paint a trash bag green and you'd have "Slimer" as a sidekick!)

I also got an amazingly gaudy orange and brown sequined dress from a local thrift store. That's worked with a wig as a doo-wap Motown "Supremes" style singer, and later with a cool feathered mask as a Marti Gras party goer. So 2 Halloweens there.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Here is an example. Shoes for kids $150.00 School fees $200, birthday presents for other kids $75.00 come on! New shoes for me $150.00 Needed them.

Stop spending so much on things. You do not NEED designer shoes. A basic pair of kids shoes for school should be less than 50$ and for yourself.. go to Walmart.

There is no reason to be broke unless you are spending money you do not have. Don't buy ANYTHING unless you can pay cash (or can pay your credit card immediately). If you don't have money then look for alternatives or skip it. If you need money then cut back or sell something you don't need.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I didn't read every response, but here is my take: I have never understood the concept of debt. I was taught to only own things I could afford. So that is what we do. If we want something, we buy it outright.

We don't partake in the materialism of Christmas or Birthdays.

I think everyone would be better off if they didn't buy things on credit. It is not that hard.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Leave Charlie003 alone. Clear plastic high heels are expensive and he goes through a couple pairs every month. He needs his work shoes.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Leave Charlie003 alone. Clear plastic high heels are expensive and he goes through a couple pairs every month. He needs his work shoes.

lol!
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options

Srsly guyz c'mon...

The custom order LED light stilettos have to match the neon fishnets or it will all look wrong.

This man is WORKING FOR HIS LIVING!
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I save money every single month as does my man friend. Currently have over 20k in savings between the two of us. And retirement all set away as well. It's not the easiest thing to do, but I'd rather save now and go crazy when I retire.

Wow!!! How do you manage to do that?
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options

Srsly guyz c'mon...

The custom order LED light stilettos have to match the neon fishnets or it will all look wrong.

This man is WORKING FOR HIS LIVING!

Do you have to spend money on your own songs/playlists for the night or are they chosen for you? That could cost money. iTunes charges add up.
  • mbajrami
    Options
    Oh, and also, I have worked at a store that sells clothes/shoes for your job and there may not be a lot of material involved, but it's really pricey. Apparently sequins are like gold.
  • Charlie003
    Options
    Oh, and also, I have worked at a store that sells clothes/shoes for your job and there may not be a lot of material involved, but it's really pricey. Apparently sequins are like gold.

Sequins are a must.
  • pls176
    pls176 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am there too. I just went over my budget and it was not pretty-lol. My pay has stayed the same for 3 years however the price of everything else has gone up (food, gas, etc....). It is hard to make ends meet but I am bless every month to make it through. Sometime the ends miss each other , other time the ends just miss each other completely -lol (this usually happens when I didn't plan properly-lol).
  • mbajrami
    Options

Sequins are a must.

Exactly. Supply and demand. What's everyone arguing about then? It's simple economics.

Edited to replace a . with a ?
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options

And so is clear plastic and fur lol....
  • mbajrami
    Options

Have you SEEN the markup on tassels and pasties?
  • Charlie003
    Options

And that does not even cover the tassles.
  • 16thlevelpro
    Options
    Amen