Is it just me......Always overbudget

Options

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    You spend $150 on a pair of sneakers? I never go over $60-80 for sneakers for my kid. He loves to skateboard so I know he needs thicker sole sneakers, but it can be last year styles for all I care. When he starts working, he can buy the expensive sneakers all he wants to. I been stop going over my means but definitely needs to budget better.

Not sneakers. Dress shoes for work.

Plastic. High. Heels. All this code. Just own it Charlie. Own it and be PROUD.
  • Gurlyknockout
    Gurlyknockout Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Here is an example. Shoes for kids $150.00 School fees $200, birthday presents for other kids $75.00 come on! New shoes for me $150.00 Needed them.

How did our parents ever make it with one income.
    If I wanted to wear plastic rubber faux leather. sure. But i am not talking about online. And thats tax in.

Just going off the first few comments you made above…. #1) I suggest get on a written budget asap. #2) I suggest starting a sinking fund for clothes. You are going to need them so start putting money aside for them in advance. Normally its $100-$200 per person per yr for people that are in debt (anything you owe that’s not including your home. CC’s, loans, medical bills, ect). #3) Go buy Dave Ramsey’s total money makeover and get a better understanding of how to handle your money. Learn what a actual need is. Its defiantly not $150 pair of shoes because you can’t bring yourself to wear p-leather. This might be shocking but many people (like your parents) bought used from thrift stores. Try there, you can find some great buys, name brand and cheap!

Your parents made it on one income because they didn’t go out and “need” a pair of $150 shoes. They went to walmart and bought the fake leather ones that works just as well for the time beings. They made their own deterrents, soaps, unplugged things that weren’t in use, saved up for school clothes or gave you hand me downs from other kids. They scrimped, saved and gave every $1 they got a job, a place to go…. That is what you are not doing and that’s why you have a hole in your budget. You need to find that hole and plug it fast. This is how many people lost their homes in 2008 when the market crashed, because they were not aware of their spending.

Do you have a emergency saving account in case something happens (and it always does)?

Again I suggest you pick up a book of Dave Ramsey and read it, get your budget in place. GL
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    You spend $150 on a pair of sneakers? I never go over $60-80 for sneakers for my kid. He loves to skateboard so I know he needs thicker sole sneakers, but it can be last year styles for all I care. When he starts working, he can buy the expensive sneakers all he wants to. I been stop going over my means but definitely needs to budget better.

Plastic. High. Heels. All this code. Just own it Charlie. Own it and be PROUD.

Plus the flashing lights so cars do not hit me.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    Personally I've always loved it when people say things like: Get your budget under control - BUY THIS BOOK! Or this program! Or this thing!

budgettracker.com - > Free. Easy to use budgeting.

Or Pen and Paper. Works just as well.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    By the way, I definitely understand your aversion to buying clothing for your job in thrift stores. No one wants to buy work clothes secondhand when they've been all up in someone else's goodies and reek of broken dreams and daddy issues.

I donate all my clothes any anything I no longer need. I give away everything. I refuse to have a garage sale and sell my things for $1.00. It cheapens my memories.

I would never buy a codpiece second hand but I would certainly garage sell it with a small markup for the memories that I've acquired. Plenty of Japanese business men go for that. I think the better alternative is to get it bedazzled. It's like having a brand new codpiece!
  • Gurlyknockout
    Options
    My advice is to write a budget at the begining of every month and stick to it. Have you ever read any Dave Ramsey books? He has awesome advice on how to write a budget and stick to it as well as how to get out of debt. We live on on income and successfully stick to our budget every month. At the begining of every month we put our income in a spreasheet I have written in excel then we give every single dollar a name. If it is not in the budget then we do not buy it.

We also use something called the envelope system where we put cash in envelopes for certain types of spending like groceries, medication, clothing, dining out, pet food etc and when we are out of money in that envelope we stop buying things in that category until the next budget.

BTW: I would never spend $150 on tennis shoes or $75 on birthday gifts. The most I have ever spent on shoes was around $100 and that was for spinning shoes that I desperately needed because I teach spinning classes. I make birthday gifts and most of my Christmas gifts as well.

ETA: Some of the best Dave Ramsey books are The Total Money Makeover and Financial Peace. I also highly reccommend you take The Financial Peace University class. It teaches a whole new way of living and thinking about money.

^^^This chick is smart. I would tell everyone to take note.

For those that are interested, there's a program called "You Need a Budget". or YNAB.com It will get you out of debt. But, it outlines the above method...every dollar has a job. If it's not in the budget, it doesn't get bought. There's no way around it. If you need money for something that came up, something else has to give. I mean, if you think about it, there's no other way you can dfo it. How can you possibly spend more than you have? It is not possible. So, this is a good way to face facts. Also, at first, you will have all kinds of exceptions because you don't know how to budget and you forget lots of stuff that happens. But, over time, probably a year or so, you learn to plan ofr those "surprises". They are not really surprises, you just forget they happen. Like, one of my surprises is always my kids sports. But, I know when the season starts, I know when it's going to hit, I don't know why I act liek it's a big surprise. Put it in your budget and it's no longer a suprise. You budget for that expense.

^^ THIS^^
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    RE: donating rather than garage sales--Not sure about Canada, but in the US you can itemize your donations for taxes...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I have 2 kids who both play competitive soccer - it keeps me in the poorhouse.

I wear decent dress shoes to work but my trick is to hit the outlet malls when traveling with the kids. I've picked up Bostonians that run $200 here in Canada for $60 (and the current exchange rates are great).

Depending on where you live there are times it makes sense to make a run for the border (I'm only about an hour away from upstate NY). There are a lot of things that are way less expensive in the US (my running shoes are $189 if I buy them at Running Room - online I can get them for $100 and Canada Post rarely collects the tax)
  • Charlie003
    Options
    By the way, I definitely understand your aversion to buying clothing for your job in thrift stores. No one wants to buy work clothes secondhand when they've been all up in someone else's goodies and reek of broken dreams and daddy issues.

I donate all my clothes any anything I no longer need. I give away everything. I refuse to have a garage sale and sell my things for $1.00. It cheapens my memories.

I would never buy a codpiece second hand but I would certainly garage sell it with a small markup for the memories that I've acquired. Plenty of Japanese business men go for that. I think the better alternative is to get it bedazzled. It's like having a brand new codpiece!

It is all about workmanship.
  • Charlie003
    Options
    I feel your pain, I have 2 kids who both play competitive soccer - it keeps me in the poorhouse.

I wear decent dress shoes to work but my trick is to hit the outlet malls when traveling with the kids. I've picked up Bostonians that run $200 here in Canada for $60 (and the current exchange rates are great).

Depending on where you live there are times it makes sense to make a run for the border (I'm only about an hour away from upstate NY). There are a lot of things that are way less expensive in the US (my running shoes are $189 if I buy them at Running Room - online I can get them for $100 and Canada Post rarely collects the tax)

Exactly. My daycare bills, plus my daughters fight schools, dance school etc... kills me. I save where I can.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

You should just quit your job, Charlie. Then you won't have to buy dress shoes. Use your head! :laugh:
  • SelfHelpJunky
    SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Page 11 and we're still on the shoes??? For crying out loud, people! LOL!
  • Charlie003
    Options

Hmmmmmm
  • penrbrown
    Options

I'm sorry but it is simply unacceptable for him to budget for $150.00 shoes. If he's going to budget he MUST be cheap. He must have cheap clothes. Cheap shoes. A cheap car. In fact, he must be frugal. Only rich people don't budget!!!!
  • Charlie003
    Options

I'm sorry but it is simply unacceptable for him to budget for $150.00 shoes. If he's going to budget he MUST be cheap. He must have cheap clothes. Cheap shoes. A cheap car. In fact, he must be frugal. Only rich people don't budget!!!!

CHEAP CAN. MYBE i CAN TRADE IN MY yARIS FOR A 1980 Ponie.
  • Gurlyknockout
    Options

No it’s quite the opposite, mostly “rich” people budget. Rich people as you call them have the things they have because they planned ahead and budgeted things. It’s the people that don’t have money who do things on a whim that are broke. That $150 pair of shoes could have been planned back in June by putting away $37.50 a month.

Do you think these huge companies just upgrade their stores because they want to at that moment in time? NO They plan for it, they set aside the money for when that time comes. That’s how the rich stay rich.
  • LipSmackingFun
    LipSmackingFun Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

It is all about workmanship.

Very true. bad worksmanship on the bedazzler can lead to chafing and blisters. You don't want that.
  • LipSmackingFun
    LipSmackingFun Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Here is an example. Shoes for kids $150.00 School fees $200, birthday presents for other kids $75.00 come on! New shoes for me $150.00 Needed them.

Maybe you should consider making gifts and not buying them. Don't buy designer anything if you are. For example, you can get a good pair of kicks for $90. They may not be the latest and greatest but your feet are protected. Sometimes we have to make sacrafices until we are able to enjoy the finer things but in this economy who knows when we'll be able to enjoy the finer things. :sad:
  • Toomanyhats
    Options
    Growing up poor like I did, you learn what is important and what isn't. A roof over your head and food on the table is having monumental success. No matter how poor I was, I always had money in the savings, which was there for emergencies. I learned to purchase only things I needed, and only if I had the cash to do so. I never, ever have paid interest on credit cards or
    automobiles, and living by those standards has made my life so much easier to live. It's never too late to start living by those rules:)