Is it just me......Always overbudget

Options

Replies

• mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Oh, and also, I have worked at a store that sells clothes/shoes for your job and there may not be a lot of material involved, but it's really pricey. Apparently sequins are like gold.

And so is clear plastic and fur lol....

And that does not even cover the tassles.

HAHA! Look at my post above yours!
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I was just saying this to my mother. I'm so broke. But I try to be good! It's like for every time I exercise willpower and walk away from buying something I want, I break down and get the next thing I see so it cancels out and my willpowering exercising was for naught and I'm still broke :(
  • mbajrami
    Options
    Just be thankful you don't have to spend money on makeup...just body glitter.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options

Glitter on all of this. It gets tangled in the folicules of power.
  • hmarean
    hmarean Posts: 15
    Options
    ^ This! Couponing have saved me over $3k this year alone!

Totally did this wrong and didnt put the quote in haha but YES coupon coupon coupon!
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb when you see something you "want". Give yourself 24 hours and if you need it you will be back there buying it. I run a monthly budget with a cash book. This lets me know what has been paid, what needs to be paid and how much real money I have to spend if any.
    I budgeted my way out of being three months behind on rent and two months on utilities. No credit card. I even budgeted in Hubby's nights out because he was the one working. Took eight months but I did it. It really makes a difference when you see where you are spending your money needlessly. Much like tracking your food.
    Now if I can get the 83 year old grandmother to do one she might still have money in the middle of the month. Hers is gone within 10 days. Then she'd be broke for the rest of the month if it weren't for her kids helping out. Lol
  • mbajrami
    Options

Just cuts down on having to reapply. That's a plus in my book. Any little bit, even between the cheeks, helps.
  • Charlie003
    Options
    ^ This! Couponing have saved me over $3k this year alone!

Totally did this wrong and didnt put the quote in haha but YES coupon coupon coupon!

We do not have the same couponing ability in canada. We have coupons, but not on the u.s. level.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options

Dont forget the waxing.
  • hawaii86442
    Options
    Hey- I can understand the expense for shoes for the kids-but, dont complain when you spend 150 for shoes.Try online companies and ebay canada-a better value and a smaller price tag.Good luck!!!

I do agree thou--I was never ahead until my kids were our of the house. I remember my daughter asking why I had so much more money. I said as gently as possible"I am not buying food for two teens anymore"
  • mbajrami
    Options
    By the way, I definitely understand your aversion to buying clothing for your job in thrift stores. No one wants to buy work clothes secondhand when they've been all up in someone else's goodies and reek of broken dreams and daddy issues.
  • Charlie003
    Options
    By the way, I definitely understand your aversion to buying clothing for your job in thrift stores. No one wants to buy work clothes secondhand when they've been all up in someone else's goodies and reek of broken dreams and daddy issues.

I donate all my clothes any anything I no longer need. I give away everything. I refuse to have a garage sale and sell my things for $1.00. It cheapens my memories.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    First world problems.

Just saying, it's kind of ironic for you to say you have a money problem, but spend 300 dollars on shoes alone. I understand the budget thing, it's hard to stay under, but be thankful for what you have.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

I donate all my clothes any anything I no longer need. I give away everything. I refuse to have a garage sale and sell my things for $1.00. It cheapens my memories.

Oh please. You're really just too lazy to go through the trouble of having a garage sale. :P
  • FayeCanDoit
    Options
    Are you kidding me? Not to be rude, but that is an insane amount of money to pay for shoes. Maybe because I grew up in a low income/poverty level family, but I've never spent more than 25 dollars on shoes. I could understand some really kick-*kitten* running shoes, or specialty shoes, or a specialty medical support shoe....but shoes for your kids? If you're kids are too young to have a job, then they will likely grow out of those shoes insanely fast, if they are old enough to have a job, then get them the 20 dollar shoes and tell them to work for those nikes.
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You spend $150 on a pair of sneakers? I never go over $60-80 for sneakers for my kid. He loves to skateboard so I know he needs thicker sole sneakers, but it can be last year styles for all I care. When he starts working, he can buy the expensive sneakers all he wants to. I been stop going over my means but definitely needs to budget better.
  • Charlie003
    Options

Oh please. You're really just too lazy to go through the trouble of having a garage sale. :P

you got me.
  • Charlie003
    Options
    You spend $150 on a pair of sneakers? I never go over $60-80 for sneakers for my kid. He loves to skateboard so I know he needs thicker sole sneakers, but it can be last year styles for all I care. When he starts working, he can buy the expensive sneakers all he wants to. I been stop going over my means but definitely needs to budget better.

Not sneakers. Dress shoes for work.
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have a few suggestions. I'm not saying it is easy to do, but avoid looking at advertising of all kinds. If you get catalogs in the mail, throw them in the trash without looking at them. If you get offers in envelopes and you know they are solicitations, throw them away without opening them. Don't look at the sales ads that come with the Sunday paper, if you get it. Make a point of paying CASH ONLY for everything. When it's gone, it's gone. You can't spend more than you have that way. Then always ask yourself if you need whatever it is you might be spending your money on, and if the answer is no, don't spend your money on it. For those things you need, research where to get the best deal, pay cash for it when you have it. And for those things you really want, plan those things in so you don't feel so pinched, but stick to the plan. All this takes self-discipline but it can be done and can help a lot.
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bump! My husband and I are both students with three kids. We have no idea how to budget and live like financially responsible adults. :embarassed:

There is some really great advice here!