Black Team Week 2 Challenge Thread!!!-

Options

Replies

• Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    HEY RONI! I did 5 pull ups all together so far today, maybe I'll try another one with my heavy pancake ladden rear end!

My son and I were talking. I'm not sure if what I'm doing is offically called a pull up.

th_irongym.jpg

Ok, see the little handle thingys that stick out? I use them- what are they called? I can also use the inside black foamy area if my fingers face me, which I think is a chin up. I can not do what that very muscular man in the picture is doing. My arms are too far apart to have the strength to get me up.

So, anyway, I'm going to call them pull ups. I can hold on to those little handles, pull my body off the floor, let my arms back down and then once again pull my body up so my chin is above the bar. Close enough.

Edit: By the way, this thing is pretty cool. I paid $20 for it when I got it for him for xmas, but have since seen it in those 'As Seen on TV' stores for $15.

Way to go Lori!! Im still stuck on 4 pushups...so far thats as good as its gotten BUT I am determined to squeeze out 10. I was talking to my son about it and he said "well Mom if you can do 10, you can do 15." Oh sure.:grumble: Why dont I just get down and give you TWENTY!!??:laugh: Ahem, I think I will work on just trying to get to 10 right now, thank you.

Yes, I have seen that bar on TV. Im sure what you are doing is a pullup. What is the difference in a chin up and a pull up? They have this machine thingy at my gym that I see people doing pull ups/chin ups on and I believe the machine is called "Assisted Pull Up"? At any rate, I will stick with trying to conquer my pushups. I am quite sure I still have to much body weight to try and pull it off the ground!:laugh:

For some reason, I am seriously not very strong in my upper body. Legs, no problem. I always get a great workout when its legs day. My arms are a struggle. I think I recall you saying that you hate it when its your day to do your strength training for your legs? I'm the opposite there. I dread the days I have to do my arms:ohwell: But on the bright side I have noticed that I am stronger in my upper body than I was. So, I guess the struggle is slowly paying off. Gonna keep working at it. Slow and steady wins the race, right?:huh:

Keep working them pullups girl, and I will keep suffering through those pushups!!:drinker: :laugh:
  • Nonibug
    Options
    Lori, my 14 year old asked and received one for Christmas, too-- he loves it.

Happy to report that I practiced this day what I preach-- having absolutely no energy or desire to run this evening, a 41 degree night in the middle of January was a gift that I couldn't pass up.

The medications bloat me up and totally wear me down, and I plodded, believe me, through my run-- but, I did 5k in 32:30, which I'll take--

I still feel crappy physically, but am soaring mentally and spiritually for forcing myself out-- and very thankful for my hubs who made it all possible by taking upon himself this night some of my work load.

Have a great evening, my friends--

That is a GREAT run Marla!:drinker: I dont run, I havent "graduated" to that...yet:wink: , however, when I am fast-walking on the treadmill I am never more than a little over 2.5 miles when the timer gets to the 32 minute mark. Awesome lady, truly awesome!:drinker:
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,760 Member
    Options
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34881243/ns/health-behavior/

Saw this and thought of you all-- you raise me up, people.
    No blaming, but maybe that's what hapens to me when I go home to visit..... :ohwell:
  • 72lori
    Options
    You are all so motivational and lovely people. Thankyou for posting and keeping me going and laughing.

I have got up this morning feeling guilt because nothing got weighed last night and I had a cheat meal I wasn't planning on. DH came back from work last night in a bad mood and quite upset so tried to have quality time with him. I have had a good morning so far, washing done and either in airing cupboard or in the tumble dryer, ironing done, 10 minutes on rowing machine done followed by 30 minutes on the bike, felt like I coiuld cycle forever but didn't want to push the fact that the 2 little ones were actually behaving and watching playhouse disney while their 2 big brothers are still in bed (its just 9am here). Better go and have an assited shower now - 2 year old will come in with me (much fun!!).

Hope everyone has a good weekend

Great workout! I love reading your posts, I feel like I'm learning something new. What the heck is an airing cupboard? I have many images in my mind, none of which are probably right! LOL
  • 72lori
    Options
    HEY RONI! I did 5 pull ups all together so far today, maybe I'll try another one with my heavy pancake ladden rear end!

My son and I were talking. I'm not sure if what I'm doing is offically called a pull up.

th_irongym.jpg

Ok, see the little handle thingys that stick out? I use them- what are they called? I can also use the inside black foamy area if my fingers face me, which I think is a chin up. I can not do what that very muscular man in the picture is doing. My arms are too far apart to have the strength to get me up.

So, anyway, I'm going to call them pull ups. I can hold on to those little handles, pull my body off the floor, let my arms back down and then once again pull my body up so my chin is above the bar. Close enough.

Edit: By the way, this thing is pretty cool. I paid $20 for it when I got it for him for xmas, but have since seen it in those 'As Seen on TV' stores for $15.

Way to go Lori!! Im still stuck on 4 pushups...so far thats as good as its gotten BUT I am determined to squeeze out 10. I was talking to my son about it and he said "well Mom if you can do 10, you can do 15." Oh sure.:grumble: Why dont I just get down and give you TWENTY!!??:laugh: Ahem, I think I will work on just trying to get to 10 right now, thank you.

Yes, I have seen that bar on TV. Im sure what you are doing is a pullup. What is the difference in a chin up and a pull up? They have this machine thingy at my gym that I see people doing pull ups/chin ups on and I believe the machine is called "Assisted Pull Up"? At any rate, I will stick with trying to conquer my pushups. I am quite sure I still have to much body weight to try and pull it off the ground!:laugh:

For some reason, I am seriously not very strong in my upper body. Legs, no problem. I always get a great workout when its legs day. My arms are a struggle. I think I recall you saying that you hate it when its your day to do your strength training for your legs? I'm the opposite there. I dread the days I have to do my arms:ohwell: But on the bright side I have noticed that I am stronger in my upper body than I was. So, I guess the struggle is slowly paying off. Gonna keep working at it. Slow and steady wins the race, right?:huh:

Keep working them pullups girl, and I will keep suffering through those pushups!!:drinker: :laugh:

I know you want to do 10 in a row, but work on doing 10 throughout the day. I dind't do all the pull ups at once. I can crank out 2. I think I am going to try every day to do one more than the day before. Yesterday I did 6, today I will do 7, Sunday 8, etc. I don't care if I have to do one every hour. Each day I will try to do more in a row. I will be happy when I can do 10 all at one time.

I watched the little info thing on the Iron Gym, the handles I'm using are called a pull up, just a different grip. When you face your fingers toward your face it's a chin up. I guess the two use slighly different muscles.

Roni girl, at the gym the assisted pull up machine is the WAY TO GO! It doesn't matter what you weigh, the machine helps you. Say I weigh 150 pounds, I set the weight for 140, then I am doing the 'pull ups' but only pulling 10 pounds. It's opposite of most machines. Whatever weight you set it for counters your body weight so you are not pulling all of it. If I set it for 100 pounds, then I would be doing the exercise pulling up 50 pounds. Make sense?

You could even set it for your exact weight, so you really wouldn't be lifting much, you would be getting the motion of the pull ups down and getting your body used to it.

Let me know how one works for you! :bigsmile: Yes, I'm throwing a challenge out there for you.....
  • zippy111
    zippy111 Posts: 2,241 Member
    Options

:laugh: when I first read this I thought you paid $20 for him! I was going to ask where we could get some more of him!:laugh: :laugh:
  • zippy111
    Options

ditto Marla - I feel very much in control having this black team as support. When I am out and about ready to make a bad decision, you are always in the back of my head.....that angel and devil on my shoulders. The Black team ----my ANGELS!!! Thank you! Determined last night to have a great workout and I did....ran 6 miles for 681 calories and then lifted. Going back for more this morning. Check in later...:devil: :happy:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

ditto Marla - I feel very much in control having this black team as support. When I am out and about ready to make a bad decision, you are always in the back of my head.....that angel and devil on my shoulders. The Black team ----my ANGELS!!! Thank you! Determined last night to have a great workout and I did....ran 6 miles for 681 calories and then lifted. Going back for more this morning. Check in later...:devil: :happy:

Isnt it funny...they way that works? My mom always said that is why God didn't put us all on individual islands....because he designed us to work together!

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Marla, good article. I was just saying this exact thing to my kids. We went to the concert and the last 2 times I went out to Hard Rock...over 3 yrs ago, I over drank. I hated the way I felt for 3 days after so have not gone since. I went with the same ex-friend who didn't have any money, so she would take my 20 to "get me a drink". so she could have one.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options

th_irongym.jpg

I know you want to do 10 in a row, but work on doing 10 throughout the day. I dind't do all the pull ups at once. I can crank out 2. I think I am going to try every day to do one more than the day before. Yesterday I did 6, today I will do 7, Sunday 8, etc. I don't care if I have to do one every hour. Each day I will try to do more in a row. I will be happy when I can do 10 all at one time.

I watched the little info thing on the Iron Gym, the handles I'm using are called a pull up, just a different grip. When you face your fingers toward your face it's a chin up. I guess the two use slighly different muscles.

Roni girl, at the gym the assisted pull up machine is the WAY TO GO! It doesn't matter what you weigh, the machine helps you. Say I weigh 150 pounds, I set the weight for 140, then I am doing the 'pull ups' but only pulling 10 pounds. It's opposite of most machines. Whatever weight you set it for counters your body weight so you are not pulling all of it. If I set it for 100 pounds, then I would be doing the exercise pulling up 50 pounds. Make sense?

You could even set it for your exact weight, so you really wouldn't be lifting much, you would be getting the motion of the pull ups down and getting your body used to it.

Let me know how one works for you! :bigsmile: Yes, I'm throwing a challenge out there for you.....

We have one of those machines at my gym too...gonna have to get one of the trainers to show me how to use it. Dammit, I am going to do a pull up one day no matter what!
  • Nonibug
    Options

th_irongym.jpg

Well Im going to be heading to the gym shortly, and although today is technically my "legs" day....JUST FOR YOU Lori, Im going to tackle that Pull Up machine:blushing: It has a pad thingy that raises or lowers (I guess for being on your knees if your using the assisted part of the machine?) And right now Im just hoping that I dont fall off of it in front of everyone!:laugh: I'll let you know how it goes:wink:
  • retrobaby
    retrobaby Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Very proud of myself today! I ran my farthest run today 7.5 miles in 95 minutes!! That is a 12.67 mile. I felt like I could run forever but I knew in the back of my head that hubs was wondering if I was ever going to come out of the garage and when I came out and told him how far I ran he was like "yeah, I was wondering when you were going to come out!!" whatever let me run!!!

I burned 1500 calories too.

Marla I hate the word "like"

question of the ladies. (sorry andrew this one you can't help on) when you wear your sports bra while working out do you get a mark on your chest from were the top of your bra was. If you don't know what I mean I will post a pic of it.

Awesome! I just love those runs. Funny, I told my hubby I'll be in the garage for 2 hours this am. I cant wait to see how far I go. About the bra question (sorry Andrew) not sure if I get that. I'll pay attention to it today though and report back (lol).

~Jan
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options
    Just came in from a wonderful 8.27 (yes, I am counting the .27 :laugh: ) with the group this morning...where I met some new people and may have found myself a training group for my half in the spring. It's a women's group, and the 3 ladies I met this morning are just awesome. Looking forward to having some companionship. I'm used to running alone and I have music for that, but sometimes it's just really nice to be able to have that support. I don't have many friends of my own here yet (all of my friends here are BF's friends and their wives and I don't often hang out with the wives on my own. No reason, just never really happens.) so I am excited about that.

Burned over 900 cals, so I'm pretty much good for whatever I may want to order when we go for dinner tonight. Yum!

Happy Saturday! :heart: y'all!
  • retrobaby
    retrobaby Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Just came in from a wonderful 8.27 (yes, I am counting the .27 :laugh: ) with the group this morning...where I met some new people and may have found myself a training group for my half in the spring. It's a women's group, and the 3 ladies I met this morning are just awesome. Looking forward to having some companionship. I'm used to running alone and I have music for that, but sometimes it's just really nice to be able to have that support. I don't have many friends of my own here yet (all of my friends here are BF's friends and their wives and I don't often hang out with the wives on my own. No reason, just never really happens.) so I am excited about that.

Burned over 900 cals, so I'm pretty much good for whatever I may want to order when we go for dinner tonight. Yum!

I'm so happy for you having running partners. I truly miss mine. It makes those long runs seem so short. I'm doing it on my own and it is waaaay harder, but Black Team stories really motivate me. Keep'um coming.

~Jan
  • SatelliteCrush80
    Options

I'm so happy for you having running partners. I truly miss mine. It makes those long runs seem so short. I'm doing it on my own and it is waaaay harder, but Black Team stories really motivate me. Keep'um coming.

~Jan

I know how hard it can be to run alone. I usually go out on Saturdays and start out with that large group and usually end up alone because I can't keep up with them -this time, it just happened that I met up with these other ladies at the water stop. We'd been around the same pace the whole time, but just met then and I stuck with them. It was nice.
  • Girlmom282109
    Girlmom282109 Posts: 2,643 Member
    Options
    You are all so motivational and lovely people. Thankyou for posting and keeping me going and laughing.

I have got up this morning feeling guilt because nothing got weighed last night and I had a cheat meal I wasn't planning on. DH came back from work last night in a bad mood and quite upset so tried to have quality time with him. I have had a good morning so far, washing done and either in airing cupboard or in the tumble dryer, ironing done, 10 minutes on rowing machine done followed by 30 minutes on the bike, felt like I coiuld cycle forever but didn't want to push the fact that the 2 little ones were actually behaving and watching playhouse disney while their 2 big brothers are still in bed (its just 9am here). Better go and have an assited shower now - 2 year old will come in with me (much fun!!).

Hope everyone has a good weekend

my girls love playhouse disney!! They also like to join me in the bathroom for showers! Not in the shower but in the bathroom. hahaa your house sounds like my house except I only have 2.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone....typing on my kids' computer that doesn't have my typing shortcut program for speed, so this shall be brief. I actually have to spell all the words out on this one....blech.

Alot of activity already around here....wow. You people are some early birds. Hope had a basketball game at 9, an hour away. No way I'm traveling to that one, so her coach picked her up at 7:30 and I went back to bed. I got all my typing done last night, so I could sleep in this morning. Woot!

Donna....this is for you.... smiley-angelic008.gif

We're the good ones. Friends, my kids have been taught from the cradle the biblical equivalent of the article I posted...."Bad company corrupts good character," and I remind them all the time, from Proverbs, "A righteous man is cautious in friendship." Whether it be here in virtual land, or in "real life" we will tend to become like the people we spend our time with....so it is incumbent upon all of us, always, to choose wisely.

Can't go wrong here in Black Town....you're the finest, people!

Tanya....alright, dish, my good woman....airing cupboard? I'm with Lori...that does not compute.

Shuntae....awesome run. But, I think I differ from you and Jan....I love running solo. However, the only other companion I've ever had is my husband who has to compete all the time. You know, just chill the heck out, old man.....you know???

Andrew....hope the toofer is on the mend, my good man.

Beth....hope all is well.

Roni.... be proud of those pushups....Rome wasn't built in a day.

Sam.... hope your sinus infection is feeling better.

Everybody else.... God bless us all this day. I'm outta here for now. I can't type one more word on this computer!!!

Later, cats!
  • mumsanutter
    mumsanutter Posts: 3,068 Member
    Options
    Lori and Marla - an airing cupboard is usually a cupboard in the house which also holds the hot water cylinder , so it helps to dry the clothes without them being all over the house - I like clothes dried on the airer but so do the boys and then I have to waqsh it all again urgh!!!!!!!!. It also means that I don't have to have the tumble dryer on all day (4 boys plus mum and dad = tonnes of washing especially when the 12 year old won't wear anything more than once and usually for only a few hours......)

Sorry for the confusion, I just had to ask Rob what the hot water is held in :blushing: , I have gone brain dead after attending one of John's little friends birthday parties, 30 lovely little 5 year olds running riot for 2 hours......
  • zippy111
    Options

Shaunte - you are my new idol! Running with buddies is great! If I get up to run at 5:15 AM and my neighbor isn't out there, I usually go back inside and climb back under the covers:ohwell:
  • zippy111
    Options

Shaunte - you are my new idol! Running with buddies is great! If I get up to run at 5:15 AM and my neighbor isn't out there, I usually go back inside and climb back under the covers:ohwell:

Shuntae I mean. Sorry about the typo