you don't need to carb load for a 5k & other running wisdom

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Okay, one more - I am on the committee for our local marathon and a race director for a smaller 5/10k race.
    nowadays big sponsored runs are really popular. They have a lot to offer, great swag, lots of excitement, instant timing but there are still a lot of smaller, grassroots races out there. Enjoy them both for what they are. Both have benefits, everyone has their preference. But if you do choose a smaller race, keep in mind you can't compare.
    We really don't have a lot of big races around here. Most are the smaller races, less than 100 runners that depend on local donations for swag (and race fees are much smaller). Chip timing is expensive and not always available. Swag, insurance, entertainment, water stops and post race food cost money. In some places, police cost money to be there (my favorite triathlon requires you to actually stop during the bike portion because they can't afford the uniformed officer required to direct traffic at the intersection)
    Don't expect a big race experience from a small/inexpensive race.

Planning a race is really hard. Especially when you or the race is new. Routes arent always easy to find. You would be amazed at the red tape behind being allowed to use some Roads. To find a good course, that is easy (we get a lot of criticism for difficult courses unless you bill yourself as that), that is interesting, managable, safe and that you are allowed to use is really not as easy as one would think. Dont forget, you need to have a suitable start/end point as well. And as hard as organizers try there will be hiccups. There may be two dozen problems that get handled without you being aware but some glitches are inevitable. We had the local company mix up our order and not reliever the porta potties the day of our local marathon. Good luck getting ahold of someone late Saturday or early Sunday for porta potties.

Feedback is always welcome. Constructive criticism is definitely welcome.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to learn to "jog". Can now do a minute!

"Joggers" are runners with inferiority complexes. If you can go faster than a walk, you are a runner. Now go work on being a better runner!

what if you run at the same speed you walk?????
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Duplicate post.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I am just starting to learn to "jog". Can now do a minute!

"Joggers" are runners with inferiority complexes. If you can go faster than a walk, you are a runner. Now go work on being a better runner!

what if you run at the same speed you walk?????

If both feet are off the ground at the same time, you are running. Walking is one foot on the ground at all times.
    Speed is not a dictator.

I was once passed by a speed walker in a race. True story. I was running, he was walking.
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Bump! Love this thread :love:
  • gingerenderly
    Options
    I especially love this. I know I look ridiculous out there, but this made me smile.
  • Snapper1985
    Snapper1985 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wow. Lots of great words of advice. Thanks everyone.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    - Don't stop running over the winter months. You can run in all kinds of weather! (I learned this too after several non-running winters.)

I live in an area where the weather gets down to -40... and the sidewalks/roads can be slippery, I'm afraid of falling due to this, therefore I think running inside on a treadmill is safer.. haha..

Same here. Weather is 100% a reason not to run outside sometimes. When its -40 and there is a frostbite warning of 5 minutes (meaning if you are outside for more then 5 mins, expect frozen flesh) and there is so much fresh snow that cars can't stay on the road, its not a safe place to be.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    consider that if you take pepper spray more so for fear of bears than people, that they may just think of it as extra seasoning!! lol

:laugh: Damn you, I already have a slight bear phobia! Not around here, black bears in this part of the country are usually docile, but as I've considered moving out to grizzly country, I had planned to carry bear spray. But not in hopes of attracting bears who like their food spicy!

LOL! Our bears aren't docile....we have the fur of one that was rather nasty hanging on our living room wall. (sorry vegans) Make sure if you use bear spray, you don't accidently spray yourself in the face, I hear its incredibly painful lol. And we carry whistles when we hike....they aren't a fan of loud noises.

We also have mean moose that run around town in winter lol. They are scarier then the bears.

And I LOVE this thread, so many great tips!
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    No matter how good/bad I'm feeling, I always feel better after a run.
  • keeleen
    Options
    Bumping this to come back to! Trying to become a runner myself.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Bumping this to read since I have been running indoors off and on since winter came knocking.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    consider that if you take pepper spray more so for fear of bears than people, that they may just think of it as extra seasoning!! lol

:laugh: Damn you, I already have a slight bear phobia! Not around here, black bears in this part of the country are usually docile, but as I've considered moving out to grizzly country, I had planned to carry bear spray. But not in hopes of attracting bears who like their food spicy!

LOL! Our bears aren't docile....we have the fur of one that was rather nasty hanging on our living room wall. (sorry vegans) Make sure if you use bear spray, you don't accidently spray yourself in the face, I hear its incredibly painful lol. And we carry whistles when we hike....they aren't a fan of loud noises.

We also have mean moose that run around town in winter lol. They are scarier then the bears.

And I LOVE this thread, so many great tips!

Bear spray is painful. OC spray (pepper spray) which is stronger is painful. And anytime you use it there is a big risk of cross contamination which sucks.
  • yiffanarff
    yiffanarff Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read more later.
  • pet1127
    Options
    My first 5km speed walkers left a nice path in the snow forme to follow like bread crumbs lol
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    My first 5km speed walkers left a nice path in the snow forme to follow like bread crumbs lol

That makes me feel better. I've only ever seen one in a race. As noted, he was passing me.
  • pet1127
    Options
    lol they were about 70 years old and highfived me as they passed lol i just about cried
    im about a 15 min mile ( turtles pass me )
    but ehhh im moving some day I willpaass them haha
  • trb85
    trb85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Talk about an awesome and motivating thread!
    Totally needed this :D
  • melindanew
    melindanew Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you think running is boring or stupid or no fun, try to find a local group of Hashers "On-on!" (Hash House Harriers) At the very least you'll meet really fun people. They are very welcoming of runners and run-walk-run-walk-runners of all levels. Plus, there's usually beer at the end. ;) (If you like beer.)

If your doctor says don't run, don't. Even if you feel better or really want to or are crabby because you can't, don't. If you don't listen you might never be able to run again, or never again as well or as long or without lots of pain. Ask me how I know. :(

A very specific one - if you live in the inner city and there is one big park where dogs are allowed off-leash (and indeed, welcomed off leash), you should, well, expect there to be dogs. I run in that park, and I also walk my dogs there (my arthritic dog doesn't run so I don't run with him.) Bing snide, giving me dirty looks or otherwise indicating that my dogs should not be where you are running is ridiculous. It's a well signed, well regulated, well known OFF LEASH PARK. There's 10000 places for you to run that are none of these things so if you don't like dogs, go there. And if you run over my poor old arthritic dog who's doing his best to get out of your way, you better hope to heck you can outrun ME!! /pant pant rage pant

Get out of the gym and off the treadmill, but if that's the only way you're going to run, just run on the treadmill, then. Just run. You'll get outdoor fever soon enough.

Trim the corners of your toenails. Not so much that they ingrow, just take off the sharp edges.

If your big toenails turn black and fall off, your shoes don't fit properly - this is caused from them slamming into the toebox of your shoe. However, if you do a lot of downhills, it can happen anyway. Most runners have lost big toenails, its not unusual.

Buy a cast iron sportsbra. Do research. Get a good one. Your boobs will HURT if you don't.

A terrible run today doesn't mean the same tomorrow. Three or four in a row might mean you need a few days off - don't overtrain.

Cross train. Weight train. Core work makes awesome runners. So do squats and hamstring work. So does upper body work because it helps your posture. Don't neglect other areas of exercise.

Pump your arms. Use good form. If you're flagging, pump your arms even harder - you'll feel silly but it can give you a boost.

Cotton is not your friend. Also, your own sweat and rain is heavy if you wear cotton and not fabrics that wick and dry.

If you have flat feet you can still run! Just be prepared to pay a motzza for your shoes and look like Frankenstein's monster wearing his boots. But you can run! (My running shoes weigh 3/4lb/750gms.)

Listen to your body, but don't listen to it complain. In other words, running - at first and sometimes always - is kinda painful and you get puffed and feel ick and that's normal, don't stop. If it hurts and it shouldn't? Stop. If it goes tingly or numb and it shoudn't? STOP. You don't get extra hero points for pushing through abnormal pain.

Gymwraps (Google them) are the bomb and I love them and they keep the sweat off my hair so I can run at lunchtime and shower and still go back to work without totally wrecking it.

You might not think so, but pretty soon you'll know your own 'patterns' for want of a better word. That first km? I'm gonna die. Always. I can't breathe and it hurts and I hate it and I want to quit every single time. But if I tought that out it gets anywhere from tolerable to awesome. But for me that 1st km is gonna suck always. Other runners have different bad spots (my husband's hits around 3km and lasts until 5km, for example, and his beginning run is his favourite.) Once you know, it's better so you know you won't die.

Couch to 5k is amazeballs for new runners, and also for runners who have been out of the game for a while. The secret is you can repeat weeks if you're stuck. Don't quit! I repeated week 1 seven times when I was 120kgs!

I can't run much anymore due to a back injury - I can but only less than 5min at a time until my leg goes dead, and then once I have surgery I'll never run again. So if you can run, run! Enjoy it!

I have a friend who just stopped running when he turned 88, and he misses it but he broke a hip and the doctor told him to quit. He used to run marathons and ultras. The kicker? He didn't start until he was in his early 60s. So you're never too old to start, just do it!
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have lifted weights for a long time and shunned cardio, but I'm getting into running. Once it stops sucking, it is a pretty euphoric experience.

- putting your shoes in the freezer will kill smelly bacteria

- the wrong sports bra can make it hard to breathe, which you might not catch because you'll expect to be out of breath anyways