you don't need to carb load for a 5k & other running wisdom

Options

Replies

• marnymoo
    marnymoo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wash them ASAP after running then they don't have as much chance to smell (bacteria have less time to grow).
  • stepnerd
    stepnerd Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump for later reference - Please, please, keep 'em coming :)
  • MsTanyaRN
    MsTanyaRN Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah....running is mental. As the great Finnish distance runner said, "Mind is everything: muscle--pieces of rubber. All that I am, I am because of my mind."

Once your mind has decided, the body has no choice but to submit.

I just LOVED this!!!
  • MsTanyaRN
    Options
    you would probably do good to take an nsaid like motrin before running. I am just starting c25k so I'm not a running expert but I take motrin before I do Curves/Zumba and other various exercises because it helps with the soreness later.
  • MsTanyaRN
    Options
    you would probably do good to take an nsaid like motrin before running. I am just starting c25k so I'm not a running expert but I take motrin before I do Curves/Zumba and other various exercises because it helps with the soreness later.

This was for the person talking about using painkillers or something like that.....
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to protect your skin and eyes from the Sun. I wear sunscreen where my skin is exposed. There is a visage protector by Mac cosmetics that is SPF 50. The best feature is that it doesn't seem to get in my eyes and sting when I sweat. A hat is an even better idea. I also wear sunglasses because eye damage from the Sun is irreversible.
  • LisaWeir74
    LisaWeir74 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I run 3 or 4 times a week & notice a difference on days when I wear heels to work.....my legs/feet feel very different.

For races, carry Kleenex.....nervous stomach plus running has put me using the various port a potties at races. Sometimes there is no toilet paper.

I love running! Great thread!
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Uhm, no. Taking NSAIDs while running is never a good idea. It could mask pain that could cause further injuries, and taking too many while exercising could lead to kidney failure and other complications.
  • GI_John_RN
    GI_John_RN Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Lots of good info in here. My wife, some friends, and I are running a 5k in May, Run For Your Lives. We are wanting to start training for it soon. I'm glad I read this.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    love this.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Uhm, no. Taking NSAIDs while running is never a good idea. It could mask pain that could cause further injuries, and taking too many while exercising could lead to kidney failure and other complications.

It can also hurt your stomach.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

It can also hurt your stomach.

^^ This!
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Lots of great info....thanks!
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Know where there are a few accessible bathrooms along your route (or a good bush). I usually need one about a mile or two into my run.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Nice to see this old thread bumped back to life!
  • JenJenER
    JenJenER Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Love this! Thanks for all the info and inspiration! :)
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Wear sunglasses and sunscreen.

Enjoy being able to move; to get out of bed, to still walk~love the body you're in!

Investing in good shoes and clothing is investing in yourself.

Running slow is still running laps around the couch.

Next year you'll be one year better if you JUST DON"T QUIT.

Take a break once in a while; let your body rest for a day. Or two.

Push yourself on occasion; run different routes, run longer than you planned, run with a friend.

Love the day you have! Embrace life!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    And yes, you do look like a rockstar while you run. Everyone does. NO ONE looks stupid running.

I LOVE that one! I want to cheer every time I see a new runner out.

thanks ;)

I'm always self conscious as a new runner.