Anyone NOT eliminating food groups and still losing weight?

Options
It seems like most people giving weight loss advice recommend eliminating a food group (fat, carbs, etc.) as the "right" way to do it. But if you don't have a medical reason for doing so, I don't see any real reason to. Those of you who have lost a decent amount of weight, did you feel you had to eliminate a food group to do it, or did you still eat a little bit of everything and manage to lose?

Replies

• ktmmom189
    ktmmom189 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I haven't elimanted any food groups at all. I just use moderation, watch my calories and exercise. I have picked up more healthy foods but I don't limit myself and I am losing weight. Maybe not as fast as others but a lb to lb and half a week if I watch my sodiums and calories.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I lost 42 lbs eating a wide assortment of foods only eliminating trans fats.

Most of the people I know who are most successful on here weren't overly restrictive either. Whatever you do, it should be something you can maintain for life, so don't do something you know is only temporary as far as WHAT you eat goes.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Me
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight by not eliminating a food group and I have been maintaining by doing the same.
  • acrynne
    acrynne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have not eliminated any food groups. This isn't a fad diet for me, it's a lifestyle change. I have modified the way that I look at food drops. So, I make sure that my meals are heavy on the veggies, and lighter on the fat and protein. Starches are no longer the dominant item on my plate.... and the starchy carbs that I do eat are whole grains. No more meals that are 90% white bread and white potatoes! I am eating all of the food groups, just being more mindful and eating them in a different ratio than I did before.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I lose perfectly fine just eating less of what I normally eat. Makes it more manageable for me that way.
  • jroselive2012
    Options
    I won't eliminate a dang thing. No way. I did have to cut down on sugar though. i had no idea that I even had issues with sugar intake till i started this !:bigsmile:
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you class as a 'decent' amount of weight but I'll say no I haven't cut out any food groups however I try to avoid foods containing fat.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I eat a wide variety of foods and have never needed to eliminate or even severely reduce protein, carbs, or fat in order to lose weight. Eating a reasonably balanced diet and staying within calorie goals works just fine for me.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I don't eliminate any food groups. Trying to think "Everything in Moderation". I have learned from experience that if I withhold something from myself, I'll just overdo it when I get a hold it. And when I shop to cook at home, i get stuff I love, which does include meat and veggies and fruit. When I cut things out, I feel like I'm on a diet adn can't eat the "healthy" foods.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Not eliminated anything, but I do eat more protein.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I still eat everything. Understanding portion control is more important to me than cutting anything out.
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    To be completely honest...the only thing i have COMPLETELY given up is Soda. I still have everything else....but stuff like carbs- I do eat less of because carbs do turn into sugar.. I have less sweets. But I haven't completely given up anything. This is a lifestyle change and I want to succeed. If that is going to happen, I need to do something I know that I can stick with. I think the weight is coming off at a reasonable rate. 14 lbs since the 27th of August... with a few weekend here and there where I havent been watching too closely to calories
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I havent eliminated anything other than drive in fast foods and microwave meals. I do watch my sodium but thats about it, just smaller portions and a wider variety of foods
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Me.

Eliminating a certain food group is absurd and does not lead to a LIFESTYLE change. Now, for a certain period of time I may restrict certain group (contest prep) but that's it.
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    still eating whatever, in moderation
  • MzStarrQueenB
    MzStarrQueenB Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I dont eat fast food. If I do its rare and I burn of the calories BEFORE eating it. Fast food has so many calories and fat I got tired of working out for 2 hours just burn of a burger and fries its just no worth it. :angry:
  • Neeser926
    Neeser926 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I eat all food groups....even have a Wendy's burger from time to time. I am down over 40 pounds. I don't really think there is a science to this......as long as you use more calories a day than you consume you will eventually lose weight.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated anything and I have lost 20 lbs. If I want some carbs I eat them or whatever I'm just learning to do so in moderation. I have actually fallen off the wagon and I'm finding it very difficult to regain my motivation but I have discovered that I am maintaining my weight without tracking my food. So I would say that I have taught myself pretty well.
  • jennmore52
    jennmore52 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've lost 18 lbs in 2 months without entirely giving up any food groups. I do try to limit processed foods but I still have pretty much everything I've always eaten including candy and other sweets. I just find myself being more aware of how much I'm eating, measuring and weighing everything. Logging meals and exercise seems to make me want to do better.