Anyone NOT eliminating food groups and still losing weight?

Options

Replies

• Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    :drinker:
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I have lost 26 pounds from January 2012 to October 2012 (from 155 to 129 from a size 12/14 to a size 4/6) without eliminating any foods from my diet. I practice moderation with everything I eat.
  • misslegz
    misslegz Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated anything just made better choices and added a lot of exercise and drinking lots of water!

12309460.png
  • linhmaimac
    linhmaimac Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I eat everything! Just follow the 80/20 guideline. 80% of the time, eat healthy, minimally processed foods. The remaining is everythng on the hit list: fried, sweets, salty, greasy, creamy...YUM! This is for the long haul.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want :) Some days are better than others but I lose
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I didn't eliminate any food groups and I lost 260lbs total! It's all about portion control. I kept a balance of a about %45 carbs, 30% protein and 25% fat while I was losing the weight. I didn't eliminate anything, but I did keep my macros and total calories under strict control. If I wanted something and it fit in the days numbers, I would eat it. If it didn't fit, I didn't eat, pretty simple.

I think eliminating food groups entirely is a recipe for failure, as it's not something you can easily keep up as an on going lifestyle.
  • ccwolters
    Options
    I have not given up anything I don't have to. So that long list only includes cholesterol. What I have figured out though is that food like pizza (carbs) doesn't fill me up at all unless I eat about 15000 calories worth of it and then I am hungry again in an hour. Whereas, a dish like beans, tomatoes and rice with lots of hot sauce contains very few calories and fills me up for hours and hours. I've been hunting for quick and easy recipees for food that tastes delicious and does not contain a lot of calories and oh boy there is so much to find. I even found a pancake mix "Grain Berry" and 0 calorie maple syrup, add a side of "Morning Star" sausage and you can pig out for under 500 calories.

I would say that my diet has gotten more varried as apposed to restrictive. I used to just grab some fast food on the way home or at work. But this new lifestyle where you are simply conscious of what you eat is much tastier than a greasy tepid Big Mac and cold fries. I also find that carbs put me into a coma after I eat tem, whereas, higher protein meals do not. I have not given up soda, but now that I have to add them to my food diary, I am much more conscientious about how many sodas I drink. I found that in my attempt to maintain the 8 glasses of water I should be drinking daily, there's not as much desire for soda. I used to drink it every time I was thirsty, now I use water for that function and soda for fun.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Haven't eliminated any food groups. I just try to eat 100g of protein or more.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I haven't eliminated any food groups at all. I just use moderation, watch my calories and exercise.

Yep...this is how I lost all my weight and have maintained. But I've NEVER done low calorie. I'm pure evil if I don't get enough to eat. ;)
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I eat out of all food groups, just less of it.

And some people clearly don't know what a food group is, haha.
    Pizza, sugar and alcohol aren't food groups.

Pizza covers all the major food group when properly topped.
    A sign hanging in our local pizzeria proclaims "A well balanced diet is a slice in each hand " :love:
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated anything and believe in eating anything you want, but in moderation and a conscious effort to limit greasy, fried or overly fatty foods. I just know that eliminating an entire food group for the rest of my life just isn't going to work. This weight loss needs to be achievable and most importantly, sustainable for me. I've lost 20 lbs and 17 inches in total so far (6 off my waist, 5 off my hips, 3 off my bust and and 1/5 each off thighs and arms) in 100 days (today is my 100 day anniversary! : ).
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    There's no need to cut out a macronutrient or food group for the goal of weight loss. Most people (including myself) advocate a low-carbohydrate dietary method but it doesn't matter. What matters is calories in vs. calories out.

Now, I gear toward low carb for a number of reasons depending on the person I'm working with: some because their previous high carbohydrate diets are causing hyperinsulinemia which leads to a plethora of chronic health issues other because I want to deplete them of glycogen to see how they'll perform in dietary ketosis and how they respond to carbs (generally the latter are my athletes). Also to teach people the truth about fats in diet.
  • MiSo_SeXy
    MiSo_SeXy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I don't eliminate anything because I want my transition to be easier when i'm done losing
    Weight and Get into the maintaince part of my journey.
    Im just more careful about the amounts I take in.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    raises hand
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving up nothing here... If I can give it up for life I am not doing it temporarily.

This can't be a simple fix, it has to be a life long journey. You have to be able to live with your choices.

:)))
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    me. i've only partially eliminated gluten because i have allergies besides that i still eat white sugar, drink alcohol, eat bacon, eat pasta (the gluten free variety) and full fat ice cream.. oh yeah real butter and mayo too. some things i limit just because hey make me feel like crap after i eat them. like friday i had fried catfish i tasted good but a few hours later it was no fun to be belching greasy catfish :laugh:

i just fit it into my calorie goals
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated anything and have lost weight just fine.
  • thathockeychick23
    Options
    I haven't eliminated any food groups and have lost 13 pounds so far. It's all about moderation and opting for healthier choices. Instead of chips for a snack, having an apple instead. But, I don't want to get rid of foods that I love because I'm eliminating food groups. Knowing that I can have my favorite snack of nachos makes it a lot easier on my mind. I'm usually more likely not to have them knowing that I have the option to eat them if I wanted to. Nothing makes a person want something more than knowing they can't have it.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I didn't eliminate anything - even ate cotton candy a few times! I did notice that as my eating habits morphed, I was eating fewer bread products. But, the operative term is fewer. I couldn't lose if I had to give up anything to do it. I just ate within my calorie limits and made choices that worked for me.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I only had a little bit of weight to lose. I've never eliminated any food group and I've been an athlete for 10 years. As I get older (ahem), I've noticed that sugar (in sweets) can be a little mean to me so I have to watch it.