Anyone NOT eliminating food groups and still losing weight?

Options

Replies

• Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    i still drink beer, eat pizza and whatever else i want. been at this 90 days, down from a size 20 to a 14.

*shrugs* its all about calories out vs calories in and moving.
  • xtrordinari
    Options
    I have not eliminated any food groups and have lost as of today 60lbs. I have tried it eliminating food groups in the past and it does not work, FOR ME. Deprivation does not work, FOR ME. I do not consider the way I am losing weight to be a diet. I have tried dieting (by way of cutting out food groups and eating 800 to 1000 calories a day) in the past and it does not work, FOR ME. It only lead to a cycle of losing and gaining over and over again. FOR ME, anything that I do to lose the weight will be the same thing that I will do to keep the weight off. I have incorporated exercise into my life that I can keep doing for a lifetime and I am eating in a way that I can for a lifetime. My focus is not to just lose the weight, but to keep it off for the rest of my life.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    i don't eliminate any food groups. hitting my goals just fine.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    me
  • Fluffykristi
    Options
    Our family has chaged our lifestyle but we have not elimated any group of food. We still have pizza night on Fridays, we eat "normal" except we eat low sat fat, low cholesterol, high protein and lots of fruits and veggies. We eat brown rice and whole grain bread - still eat regular pasta but in moderation. No soda or juices - just skim milk and water (but honestly, we were never big soda drinkers anyway.)

To date, I have lost 61 pounds and my husband has lost 33 pounds.
  • Cjgosa
    Cjgosa Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated a particular group, and have managed to lose and maintain. It's all about portion control and exercise.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have not elimnated anything. I just make sure I get enough protein and eat less sodium. I have highblood pressure so i have to watch the sodium. I eat healthy fats, complex carbs and make sure lables have only natural ingredients as much as possible.

I should add I have something I have been craving like pizza or cheese burgers once a week. I believe in everything in moderation.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    The only thing that bugs me is when people on here act like the only way to lose weight is overhauling your entire diet, eating only super clean, home made food. Not everyone can do that or chooses not to. You can lose weight with a calorie deficit and still enjoy your food every day.
  • Jillian2128
    Jillian2128 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    meee :)
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, just within reason, and I still consistently lose weight, but everyone is different, some people may find they need to eliminate certain food groups to lose, maybe I'll find in time that I need to, but at the moment it works great :-)
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    The only thing that bugs me is when people on here act like the only way to lose weight is overhauling your entire diet, eating only super clean, home made food. Not everyone can do that or chooses not to. You can lose weight with a calorie deficit and still enjoy your food every day.

This. I've always felt this way, but haven't found many here who agree. :(
  • slrea2012
    slrea2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've eliminated Del Taco, but that's about it. Everything in moderation. I eat more whole foods, less prepackaged / fast food.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    pizza's ( and i mean whole, large pizzas), gigantic hamburgers and cookies are on find themselves on my diary log every week. hell, every day, really.

losing weight is first and foremost about calorie restriction. some people find it easier to restrict whole groups in order to hit their number. it works. cut out all carbs and try to hit 2700 cals a day. it's tough. cut out all fats, tough too. cut out all grains, still tough.

bottom line is that restricting groups makes it very easy to hit your calorie number. if i didn't have a useful tool like MFP that makes it crazy easy to track exactly where I'm at no matter what I ordered at McDonalds or Taco Bell, i'd probably go low carb (all hamburgers and steaks for me) or low fat (chicken and rice).

to each their own. there is room for all of us
  • ifyouknew
    ifyouknew Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am losing, and I eat anything I want, but thanks to My Fitness Pal I just know when I've hit my calorie limit and it's time to stop eating for the day. I haven't eliminated any food groups or even any individual foods. (I rarely eat deep-fried things because they are so high in calories that it means I don't get to eat much else that day- but I don't think reducing fried foods is a bad thing!) You do not have to eliminate anything. Moderation in your diet (especially with portion sizes) is all you need.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated a food group. I reduced junk food, and reduced food portions, and reduced processed food, and increased fruit and veg. And I became more active. And as a result, I lost weight and reached my goal weight.
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that it's essential but it does help. I've cut out ridiculously fatty meats. No matter what you say, sat fats aren't going to be good for you. Alcohol I've cut too. Booze can be as bad as fats if you don't pay attention to how much you have.
  • addaline22
    Options
    all about the moderation. I am loosing weight slow and steady, with daily exercise and moderate food. i try to eat whole, raw and healthy food primarily, but If I want something I am going to have a bit (serving size or less) so i dont go nuts and eat a whole pint of ben and jerrys. Being overweight the past 15 yearson and off 2 kids, surgery, and being near 40, my body has had enough torture. so slow and steady is the way for me. I did cut out all processed foods and that seemed to make my health better in general.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    When I lost over 100 pounds, I did it by only eliminating "white" food. Sugar, white flour, white rice, white bread and white potatoes. I switched to whole grains and stevia. Other than that, I ate pretty much what I wanted and lost 106 pounds. But I've since been diagnosed with Hashimoto's, which causes me to have trouble processing carbs, so I've had to switch to a low carb diet.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Not sure of your definition of a "food group" - some people mean different things. There are the groups as defined by the USDA. But I don't really consider them an expert at nutrition or health - just at promoting the growth of lots of "it".

The O.P. definition of fat/protein/carbs - everyone has different success and that is cool. I found that low fat calorie restriction for me to work... BUT VERY SLOWLY.

When I decided grains and sugars were triggers for over-consumption and that I had physical allergies to them, once I basically eliminated them, my weight loss was fantastic and I have kept it off without having to ever feel calorie restricted.
    By adding significant good proteins, veggies and quality fats, I am satiated / full and feel fantastic.
    Results include not just weight loss, but elimination of other allergies, elimination of constant joint pain, better sleep and general sense of well being...
    Oh and a new wardrobe
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated any groups. Still have pizza, pasta, rice, potatoes, and bread regularly. Cake at every birthday party. Chocolate, ice cream or pie when it fits my macros.