Anyone NOT eliminating food groups and still losing weight?

Options

Replies

• maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have eliminated nothing from my diet (no food groups, no foods) and I am losing just fine. I have a lot to lose though. I do think, that if you are someone who is already in the healthy weight range, but want to be even thinner, playing around with carb/fat/protein ratios might help you lose, but I have no evidence either way.
  • biscuitwelsh
    biscuitwelsh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've given up is white potatoes.
  • ClarkeEJ
    ClarkeEJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I eat everything I always did but less of it and I do more exercise and it seems to be working for me.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I absolutely refuse to eliminate a food group.
    I eat carbs..fruit, veggies, grains, potatoes, rice. I try to eat mostly whole foods, less processed but I will not go without carbs, and yes, I am losing weight.
    I eat protein, although I struggle to get enough some days. I don't enjoy meats as much as I do a good carb. So there I said it. Betcha someone after me says I will never lose weight, but I have and am, and will continue to lose
    I also eat fat, I try to limit it most days to what is already in the food, but use olive oil or even, gasp, have a bit of butter.
    It's not a diet for me, its relearning how to be satisfied and happy AND healthy.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated any food groups. Nor have I eliminated any foods, other than soda, but I really did that before I started on here and focused on losing weight, so I don't know if that counts. I reduced the quantity and frequency of some food, but I didn't eliminate anything. Some things just need more planning to work in, but it can be done.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I've never eliminated anything. I've dropped from 180ish to 150ish twice (had a kid in between).
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think many people eliminate food groups as you're stating. I think people figure out what works best for them and cut back on the things that don't work or hold them back.
  • FITNLUVINIT
    FITNLUVINIT Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to eliminate anything in your eating other than limiting your sugar intake which I do have sweets on occasion.. I have been eating healthy since March 2012 a little over 6 months and have lost 49lbs so far. I still have a ways to go but I try to eat in moderation and if I want something I am going to eat it!!! fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes etc, now some of those things like fried chicken I only eat once a week but I know it wouldn't be realistic for me to think I would never eat it again. So if I learn as I go how to eat my favorite things in moderation then I know once I reach my 114lb loss I will be able to continue to maintain my weight because of the way I learned portion control and exercise.
    Hope this helps!!!!! you can friend me if you would like and see my before pictures on my profile.
  • jhner
    jhner Posts: 66
    Options
    I have not eliminated any food from my daily intake. I refuse to give anything up. I have been able to get from 175 to 148-150 without giving up anything. I do log all my calories, but if it fits into my day and I want it- I eat it. Just my own personal experience.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Me - usually try to eat more veggies and protein since they keep you fuller but today I had a McDonalds feast and a flapjack!! LOL.

Oh and I have chocolate every single day. Without fail.
  • jehuster
    jehuster Posts: 168
    Options
    Unless a doctor reccommends it, and I seriously doubt he would you need all 3 of those to stay healthy especially during weight loss. Maybe reduce the macros or % per your calorie intake but not completely cut them out. IMO :drinker:
  • rabbit1951
    rabbit1951 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There is really nothing I have completely eliminated but certain things I have much less frequently and just about everything else I have cut down the portion size. Use the kitchen scale and measuring cups a lot. Try not to go over a 1/2 cup portion (unless it's veggies) and this will sound dumb, but if it's something I really like, I spread the 1/2 cup on the plate a little so it looks like more. Amazing how easily we can fool our brains (or it could just be me.)
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you class as a 'decent' amount of weight but I'll say no I haven't cut out any food groups however I try to avoid foods containing fat.

I'm sorry if I didn't phrase that correctly. I didn't have any strict criteria in my head, I just meant people who are more experienced and have been here awhile, as opposed to newer people like myself who are still at the beginning of their journey.
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I haven't elimate any food groups. I have been doing it with portion control, calorie counting. But I have added foods to our daily diet like brown rice, we are eating that more but the other day I was at a friends house they serve white rice and I ate that I just took a small serving.

It has been working for me.
  • daisymomx3
    Options
    I haven't limited any food group including sugar and have lost 25 lbs in 5 months. It's not the fastest weight loss plan, but I know that eating smaller portions of my favorite foods will help me stick to it longer. I've learned that once I say I'm not eating this so I can lose weight that will be the only thing I crave. Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    No food or food group is or should be off limits. Moderation is the key. 84 pounds down for me.
  • CDG1013
    CDG1013 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated anything...I just reduce the amounts of things I eat and make healthier swaps. I still eat sweets, just not very many. I still have dessert, but only once per week. I still drink alcohol, but limit to 1 or 2 drinks per week. The key for me has been limiting portions (being sure to measure with a food scale) and making healthier choices available at work (greek yogurt and fruit at my desk so I don't go running to the office candy pool). Doing this with exercise has worked for me...I've lost 30+ pounds and have gone from a 39" waist to 32".
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you class as a 'decent' amount of weight but I'll say no I haven't cut out any food groups however I try to avoid foods containing fat.

I'm sorry if I didn't phrase that correctly. I didn't have any strict criteria in my head, I just meant people who are more experienced and have been here awhile, as opposed to newer people like myself who are still at the beginning of their journey.

That's fair enough, sorry if I phrased it rude also - I dunno where I am yet - 80 days and doing okay :) good luck to you, we need all food groups to be healthy in the long run - it's having them in the right quantities!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated anything. 3 pieces of pizza on Friday.

I do find, however, that I feel better and less hungry when I eat higher quality foods and lower carbs (to me, lower carbs means most of my meals don't contain a bread component... definitely nothing strict). So I tend to not make much rice/carb heavy dishes just because I'll be hungrier if I eat 200 cals of rice than if I eat 200 cals of chicken.
  • Reisse62
    Reisse62 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hello Fit/Fab,
    I just started with one thing at at time. I think eating what you want just count the calories is enough to start. If you feel deprived, it is much harder to stick with a lifestyle change. Once you add in working out your body will naturally want to eat healthier. The other big tip is make sure you are honest with yourself and weigh the food you are eating. A level tblsspoon of mayo is 120 calories a generous tablepoon can be as much at 180 calories, these can up over the course of a day.

You CAN do it!