Anyone NOT eliminating food groups and still losing weight?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminate any good groups. The only thing I've eliminated is soda, and even then I still have a Hansen's root beer or mandarin lime (made with natural cane sugar rather than the artificial stuff) every so often.

I have breads, pasta, pizza, burgers, beer, wine, mixed drinks, ice cream, desserts and the like on a regular basis, but not in mass quantities. What I have done is upped the amount of protein I take in daily, eat more healthy fats, etc.

This isn't a diet, or something I want to do temporarily, it's my lifestyle, so it has to be something I can maintain forever. Life happens, - birthday parties, holidays, spur of the moment dinners out with family or friends - and I roll with it (I 'roll' less now since I've lost weight - HAHA! :laugh:), making the best food choices I can, but still enjoying life and the foods I love.

And as my ticker shows, I've lost weight doing this, and the fat is still coming off. :bigsmile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    In the past, I'd eat a banana a few days a week, and if my Chinese food didn't have veggies in it, I really wasn't getting any. I counted the spaghetti sauce as a vegetable.

Just curious, assuming you are talking about a marinara type tomato based sauce and not something cream based like alfredo, why would you not count spaghetti sauce as a vegetable? A 1/2 cup of tomato sauce is one vegetable serving whether it's eaten over pasta or in a stew or over steamed veggies.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I don't eliminate food groups, and when I am on track, I can lose quite quickly. Carbs are high because I am a vegetarian and eat a lot of grains and legumes (not eating meat is not an eliminated food group for those who think it is). Protein is not as high as it would be if I was a meat-eater, but I still get it in. Fat is ALWAYS over. I barely have a day when my fat is under because I do eat eggs, cheese, peanut butter, etc and get a lot of my protein from these sources. I also get a lot of fat from these sources. On top of that, I usually have about 2 tsps of olive a day, and I'm sure I get fat elsewhere as well. I don't get too much saturated fat in though, and some fats are healthy. As long as I am not over on calories, I lose. Eliminating large portions of food available to me when I am already slightly limited due to my vegetarianism does not make me lose faster, so I don't bother. I like variety!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    In the past, I'd eat a banana a few days a week, and if my Chinese food didn't have veggies in it, I really wasn't getting any. I counted the spaghetti sauce as a vegetable.

Just curious, assuming you are talking about a marinara type tomato based sauce and not something cream based like alfredo, why would you not count spaghetti sauce as a vegetable? A 1/2 cup of tomato sauce is one vegetable serving whether it's eaten over pasta or in a stew or over steamed veggies.

It's true---tomato/spaghetti sauce IS made from vegetables; therefore, there would be no reason not to count it as such or to feel weird for counting it as such....
  • gisele00
    gisele00 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated any food groups, but I've been modifying my diet to include healthier options (ex. fresh cherries vs. processed maraschino, and frozen yogurt instead of custard). Pizza will always be in my life, but I'm eating a mini now (very slowly) instead of a large (scarfing). I've also decided to cut WAY back on the Diet Coke, but I'm not going to eliminate it. I'll just use it as a treat every once in a while.