Dressing revealing & Self Respect

Options

Replies

• Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    I am thinking that this is like the posts that ask guys what they like most. Every guy is different. My point being, maybe some people who dress in revealing clothes have self-respect and some don't. LOL
  • slaveofAllah
    Options
    It's just human nature for men to stare at women's ladyparts if they're on show. Common sense will tell you men don't respect you while they're drooling over your chest. They see you simply as a sexual object. I'm not saying men shouldn't be careful where their gaze falls, but seriously, propping up your parts or wearing skirts that show me what you had for lunch is like getting on your knees and begging for attention, so you can't really complain about that.

EDIT: Ahhh I just noticed the title was SELF respect. I think my answer is still relevant. In my opinion, people who dress more conservatively seem to have a lot more self respect. Women who wear revealing clothes seem to have less self respect. They seem to place more value on the attention they get with their bodies because they are insecure about their intelligence and personality.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    It's just human nature for men to stare at women's ladyparts if they're on show. Common sense will tell you men don't respect you while they're drooling over your chest. They see you simply as a sexual object. I'm not saying men shouldn't be careful where their gaze falls, but seriously, propping up your parts or wearing skirts that show me what you had for lunch is like getting on your knees and begging for attention, so you can't really complain about that.

EDIT: Ahhh I just noticed the title was SELF respect. I think my answer is still relevant. In my opinion, people who dress more conservatively seem to have a lot more self respect. Women who wear revealing clothes seem to have less self respect. They seem to place more value on the attention they get with their bodies because they are insecure about their intelligence and personality.

Oh...my....God....This is ridiculous, take yourself by the collar and give yourself a good shake.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    A continuation on the thought:
    I dress for ME and occasionally for my beau. People are going to look and judge no matter what I put myself in. I deserve, just like every one else, to feel sexy. To put it in non-clothing context, I dyed my hair bright red, the next day a slightly older gentleman I worked with exclaimed, "Why did you do that!?" I promptly responded that it makes me feel sexy. Do I care that he doesn't like it? nope. I just waned peoples thoughts on how personal appearance and self respect intertwine.

I am not sure what kind of clothes we are talking about , but just my 2 cents..

I believe that clothes help you make a statement. There is a place and time for everything. Work is not a place for sexy clothes, thanksgiving dinner is not either.

Yes, you should feel sexy on your clothes, but life is not only about feeling sexy. And you can feel sexy without showing half of your boobs. And yes, you worked hard to be in shape, but you can show your great shape, without having to show half of your *kitten*. Again, This is not personal to you, I dont even know what kind of clothes you wear.

I have been in good shape all my life. I have C-cup and an ok *kitten*. I dont dress sexy often, only when going on dates ( if that). Can people see that I am in good shape, yes they can. I didnt drees sexy when going on first dates either, back when I was single. Its not about being prude, its not about self-respect, its about what kind of statement you are trying to make ( especially when meeting people you dont know). I dont have to dress sexy to feel sexy..sexy underwear does the job for me.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    OP, I agree with you. I also feel that ACTING a certain way shows more of one's self-respect than how they dress. I can wear a slinky dress and sit at a bar, or I can wear a slinky dress and sit ON the bar. There's a difference.

But people judge other people, and that's not going to change.

Don't you wear slinky dresses and DANCE ON the bar?
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Oh...my....God....This is ridiculous, take yourself by the collar and give yourself a good shake.

Why?
    Because she had a different opinion then you?
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Why?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant....*sigh*....also your hat is ridiculous.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    They seem to place more value on the attention they get with their bodies because they are insecure about their intelligence and personality.

Can't speak for anyone else, but my personality and intelligence is what GOT me my body. I work hard... I'm stubborn as hell and pushed myself way beyond my comfort zone. I educated myself about proper nutrition and eat right.

The body I had in my teens and early 20s was a combination of luck and genetics. It was just the default factory settings. :laugh: The body I have now is something I'm building and sculpting and molding... and I'm damn proud of it.

Truthfully, I'm not comfortable with attention based just on my body. And in the nearly two years I've been on this site, I've only gotten ONE perverted message from a creeper. I get some "damn, you look great" type messages, but for the most part... respect. Lots of it. Why? Because my intelligence and personality still shine, even in a mini skirt or bikini.
  • SunnyLuc87
    Options
    A lot of people who equate modesty to self-respect are doing so for religious reasons. If they are or were raised Christian, they were probably taught that modesty is a virtue. Others may be generalizing based on the reasons some women dress provocatively. Yes, there are some women who dress in a revealing way for attention because they lack self-worth and need the reinforcement of comments, compliments, & being "checked out" and/or told that they're "hot". It's kind of a sad way to be because if/when they don't get that response it feels really bad. But it's not dressing that way that inherently signifies you have no self-respect, it's just the act of basing your worth on what other people think of your body. I don't know if there's anything wrong with living that way, but I can't because it would depress me.

But if you just want to wear a short skirt to show off those killer thigh muscle's you've been working so hard on I don't see the problem as long as the outfit is appropriate to the occasion. Personally, even if I had a perfect body that I worked hard for, I think I'd stick to the general rule of showing off only one major body part at a time. If you're wearing a short skirt, don't wear a particularly low-cut top that day. If you're wearing a low-cut top, wear the longer skirt. If you're going out and you want to expose your midriff to show off your awesome abs you worked for... well, you get the idea.
  • whitehairedguy64
    Options
    I'm envious of woman's choices in clothing. Women have so many options available to them on a daily basis to express their individuality, femininity and sexuality. We men...........................boring!!

Viva la difference!!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Why?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant....*sigh*....also your hat is ridiculous.

*thumbs up*
    :happy:
  • slaveofAllah
    Options

I'm allowed to have an opinion, the same way you are. And I'm not going to tell you to "give yourself a good shake" for the opinion I assume you have.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I personally love all you women showing off your bodies but if my wife were an MFP'er...I'd tell her to cover up...lol (typical male response)
  • slaveofAllah
    Options
    They seem to place more value on the attention they get with their bodies because they are insecure about their intelligence and personality.

Can't speak for anyone else, but my personality and intelligence is what GOT me my body. I work hard... I'm stubborn as hell and pushed myself way beyond my comfort zone. I educated myself about proper nutrition and eat right.

The body I had in my teens and early 20s was a combination of luck and genetics. It was just the default factory settings. :laugh: The body I have now is something I'm building and sculpting and molding... and I'm damn proud of it.

Truthfully, I'm not comfortable with attention based just on my body. And in the nearly two years I've been on this site, I've only gotten ONE perverted message from a creeper. I get some "damn, you look great" type messages, but for the most part... respect. Lots of it. Why? Because my intelligence and personality still shine, even in a mini skirt or bikini.

I'm all for looking hot and sometimes it takes a lot of work so congratulations to you for that :) What I'm against is dressing provocatively.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    I dress to the public on how I want them to perceive me. Business woman casual. I am a mom, wife and a business woman. You can probably guess that by the way I dress. I do not look to attract attention nor want any attention from anyone in public. You can guess that by looking at me. That is my choice.

If you will google image "hooker" you will then get the general idea of what people think what hookers look like. If your clothes are similar in taste you can imagine what the general population thinks, even if your own thought pattern is different.

BTW, hookers have great leg muscles and good looking boobs too, and I imagine they have worked very hard to get what they have too.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I'm envious of woman's choices in clothing. Women have so many options available to them on a daily basis to express their individuality, femininity and sexuality. We men...........................boring!!

Viva la difference!!
    O but there is!! You guys have it lucky. You don't need a purse that clashes with your outfit, and you
    Can get away with just 2 nice pair of shoes! The. There is mascara.

You guys have it sooo so easy in the pants department! They're uniformly sized!
    Fall/winter is coming, look at sweaters, they have a lot of nice ones. A nice leather jacket is a bonus. I always look for one that has an inside pocket. Try and look at deep jewel tones such as maroons, sapphire but also light browns.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    If all you do is show off your "goods," you can't complain when that's all people think you're good for. I think there are super classy ways to show off how hard you work that don't involve dressing like a nun, either. It's all about flattering lines and confidence.

This. this. this.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Respecting yourself had nothing to do with the way you dress yourself.

Exactly.
  • HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    People who are uncomfortable with themselves will project their feelings onto others. They don't feel comfortable showing any skin, therefore anyone who does is every negative association they can think of. Oh she is showing too much leg. She must be a *kitten*. Ohhh she put her cleavege on display. She must be offering something. It's the same archaic attitude that rapists use to justify their behavior. Oh she dressed like she wanted it.

*applause* This is spot-on.
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    There is also a time and a place for everything. You need to show respect for the situation and for the people around you. If you are going to go to a nice restaurant with your family, it is disrespectful to wear a crop top and booty shorts. I don't care how much you respect yourself. If you're hanging out with your friends at Waffle House, feel free to have your *kitten* hanging out of your shorts.

It is entirely possible to dress nicely and still look sexy. It's called being classy. It's something most teens haven't figured out. They seem to think that the only way to be sexy it to show as much skin as they legally can. A woman knows it's better to leave something to the imagination. If my dress shows cleavage, it will have a longer hem. If it comes up to my neck, it will be slit up to the thigh. Show off one or two bits and make them wonder about the rest. Show them everything and there's no mystery.

And there's the way you carry yourself. Having quiet confidence in yourself goes a long way. It's not being loud and obnoxious and trying to get attention. It's having your head up, shoulders back and KNOWING you look great. I have a few favorite outfits that make me feel sexy. Blood red tank top, jeans and Doc Martens. Black sweater, jeans and knee high heeled boots. Gray sweater, jeans and grey suede booties. (I love jeans.) I wear one of those, I feel fantastic and I get more looks. My husband stays closer and stands taller (not in a jealous or possessive way, in a proud way). None of those things shows anything. Nothing hanging out. The tops are slightly fitted, jeans are a regular bootcut. The clothes just make me feel good so I have my head up and a tiny bit of a strut to my walk. THAT's what gets attention.

<3 this.