Do you lie to your MFP friends about what you eat?

Options

Replies

• Suni3276
    Suni3276 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I record it all.. (I'm just cheating myself, if I don't) regardless of good or bad.. lately thought my diary has been a disgrace when i look back at the past week.. gained a few lbs.. need to get my butt back on track... mmm
  • nattles90
    Options
    I admit when I'm in the wrong because I've been through this too many damn times to lie to myself or others BUT I do have a friend that I've been trying to get to join MFP for a while- She came up to me the other day and said to me, "Nadine, I finally recorded what I ate on here and it said I was under eating, but, I didn't put in the cheeseburger I ate earlier or the alcohol I had." LOL I just had to shake my damn head.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Do you record even the "bad" stuff you eat in your diary for everybody to see? Or pretend it never happened? Does having "friends" on MFP influence whether or not you tell the whole truth in your diary?

I don't lie to my real life friends. What purpose would it serve to lie to imaginary internet friends?

Ditto. Plus, I would be just lying to myself in a worse way. I'm here to be accountable to myself with other eyes on it as well.
  • skellyness
    skellyness Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Isn't the point of the diary being honest with yourself? so no I miss absolutely nothing. However mines private.
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    I don't want to lie to myself, so why would I lie to my MFP friends?

However, I record my calories for me (diary is only viewable by myself)...not anyone else. If I'm not losing weight, all I have to do is look back at my diary and see why.
  • KeegansMomma
    Options
    My diary is absolutely honest. However, I do not share it, as I do not wish to be judged on what I eat. I stay very close to my calorie goal (w/in 100 give or take). Sometimes, it is because I eat veggies and fish. Other times, it is because I visited Cold Stone Creamery. My business, unless I am seeking advice re same. I'm not here for advice, truth be told; I am here for inspiration/motivation (both to give and to receive).

This!! ^^^^
    Just saw this after posting mine. But, I couldn't have said it any better!
  • Sweetpea472
    Sweetpea472 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in lying about it... if you don't want anyone to know if you had something "bad", just make your diary private. I like having comments on my diary. If I'm indulging a little too much, comments from my "friends" help steer me back in the right direction. Same goes if I don't eat enough. I have friends that give honest feedback, and I value their thoughts.
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary private...what I eat or don't eat is no one's business but my own. I log it all, although I did take this weekend off from logging for the first time! But what's the point of using this site if you're not going to be truthful...you're only hurting yourself.
  • Sistanorfolk
    Options
    I record everything...If I eat something after I have logged off the site, I keep the rapper and add it the next morning to the previous day...WHO AM I FOOLING IF I DONT LOG EVERYTHING? Not the scale...not myself...so why try to fool anyone else.:huh:
  • MsJayeKaye
    MsJayeKaye Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I log everything. It keeps me accountable to myself first and then to whomever chooses to view my diary.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I do not outright lie.

However, there are a few times a week, I close out my log then eat something else. Not on purpose, just didnt think about it.
  • heaterrr
    heaterrr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Nope! That would mean I'd lie to myself!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Do you record even the "bad" stuff you eat in your diary for everybody to see? Or pretend it never happened? Does having "friends" on MFP influence whether or not you tell the whole truth in your diary?

That would mean I am lying to myself. i don't see any point to it.
  • big_drake
    Options
    I have none so no I don't lie to them. But if I did I wouldn't lie as much as not fill out the weekends when I usually do bad things. Plus I've been on a break. Being sick does that. :(
  • wisewilliams
    Options
    I don't record for my friends I record for myself so I record everything, even my cravings like the Chardonay I drank and whole bag of popcorn I ate last night :)
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I try not to log emotional binges (I've had one in three months so it's not an all the time situation.)
    I will get discouraged and I'm really hard on myself.
    This thread is kinda funny, at the beginning it says to do whatever works for you and not to listen to what other people say about your diary followed by 'If you don't log you're lying to yourself.'
    If I have a binge, I know it's a bad day... so to keep myself from 'loosing momentum' I'll make the note, and start over the next day.

A lot of people don't agree with it, but you know...I've lost 16 pounds so far(In two months), so obviously it's working for me. :)
    I think the key is focusing on your own diary...though I love looking for food ideas in other people's diary.
    I'd never post 'Wow dude that cheeseburger from Red Robin, you're doomed.'
    That's their diary and their journey.
  • hpknshthr
    hpknshthr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    NO! You are only lying to yourself if you omit foods in the journal. The skinny jeans don't lie!
  • LPJackson76
    LPJackson76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I've been great about logging everything since day one. No holds barred, Regardless of how it may look. The only exception being there was one day where I went out and couldn't calculate the calories...wrote off all I had left, and commented on it.

About a month ago I started seeing someone I met here. It made me pause for about one nanosecond because of course we naturally want our best self to show for someone we're seeing. And bad days can be REALLY bad for all of us. But then I realized a few things: 1. This person had seen my good days AND bad ones for months...hadn't judged me negatively before, why would they start? 2. The person who gets hurt by a lie is just me. 3. If they're not supportive/understanding of the occasional bad day now that they know both virtual AND real world me, that should be a red flag for real world me.

Bottom line for anyone is you came to MFP for you. Honesty or dishonesty only impacts YOU. And people here who are mean or judge you harshly when things don't go as well as we'd like, instead of offering advice or support or encouragement, probably shouldn't be on your list.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in lying.
    The reason I came on here is to be honest with myself, if something goes wrong I want to see how much damage is done and if there's anything I can do to stop it and not just sweep it under the carpet. After all that's how I got here in the first place.
    I personally keep my diary private because like I said, I want to be honest but I know that, even though the people on here are marvellous, having people poking around my food log would unsettle me and not make me as honest as I should be.
  • Evey_bee
    Evey_bee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Surely if you're lying on your diary, it's yourself you're lying to, not your friends? I've eaten absolute rubbish today, but it was around my calorie limit so i'm not too bothered, if i was eating rubbish and wayyyy overshooting my calories all the time there's not much point in me bothering with this in the first place. I let friends see my diary, I'm honestly not too fussed if they don't like what I eat, they don't have to eat it! But I have a few other veggie friends and it's nice to check out each others diaries for ideas on meals and stuff.