Weight Watchers vs. MFP

Options

Replies

• Julieprince27
    Options
    Hi yes I really like MFP it's great! I have never really been to impressed with weight watchers.
  • gekcsk
    gekcsk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I joined WW in Jan of this year, not 2 days later I discovered MFP. Oops. I continued with WW (mainly because I paid for 16 weeks). I am so glad that I stayed with WW because I go to weekly meetings and get weighed-in and that keeps me accountable. I also learn from their meetings. Not once have they ever tried to sell me anything.
    But, I do not use their points system anymore. I found I wasn't losing like I wanted to. I struggled to eat all my points in the day (when I first started I was at 34 points I believe). I eat a lot of veggies and fruits which are 0 points so I had trouble.
    I love MFP because I can use my cell phone to log every day. I really like their iphone app.
    In my opinion, only use just MFP if you can keep yourself accountable, otherwise you'll be sitting at your computer late one night thinking "I'll just have one bowl of ice cream, just one." and the next thing you know you've gained 10 lbs back.
    I will continue to use both MFP and WW. It's working for me.
    I agree with this. I have lost 113 pounds on WW and really need the meetings and the accountability. Unfortunately a little bit of it has creeped b ack on (my own fault) Then I heard about MFP and am now doing both. It is helping.I am not using WW points system anymore either...for the same reason that you aren't. I love the support of the other WW members and how we help eah other. But I also love everything about MFP. I will continue to do both as long as it works for me. Also no one has ever pushed me to buy WW products. They are there if we want them, but not pushed on us.
  • Sahara0815
    Options
    I've tried WW a couple of times (actual meetings, not online) and it just wasn't the best fit for me. I did ok but it didn't hold for long ... maybe it was my particular leaders but it seemed that they talked about the same things all the time. Frankly, I get more out of the friends I've made on MFP who offer me GREAT support, and reading / replying / posting to the forums. Also, I love reading the blogs! There's just such a great variety of people with different experiences here to draw on, and they are willing to help and offer support. All that being said ... WW has helped a lot of people (including my sister). It boils down to picking what is best for YOU! Good luck with achieving your goals and congratulations on your commitment to your health. :smile:
  • huge2fan2
    huge2fan2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was very successful with WW about 5 years ago. As soon as I stopped I found that the pounds quickly crept back up on me. Last year I tried to do WW again but I didn't care for the PointsPlus plan, so I stopped again and gained even more weight. This summer I decided that enough was enough and I started keeping a food journal and working out on a regular basis. I found MFP, purchased a Fitbit, and implemented intermittent fasting. I am now down a total of 33 lbs and on my way to being the smallest that I have been in my adult life (currently 10 lbs lighter than with WW). I am certainly a convert and will never go back to WW...
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, and I've said this before, the points plus system is flawed. Case in point. Grapes: 1 cup of grapes has roughly 60 calories. But. 1 cup of grapes is 0 points. 2 cups of grapes is 120 calories. 2 cups of grapes is also zero points. 4 cups of grapes is 240 calories..... and 0 points. 1 large banana is 120 calories.... and zero points! So you concievably sit there and eat a large banana and 4 cups of grapes, 360 calories, which is a typical full meal for me.... and not log a single point.

Anyone who doesn't see the problem with this is crazy.

Actually they tell you not to double or quadruple servings. So that is not true. WW works for a lot of people. MFP is free, that is why I do it.

Yes, they say not to double, triple, etc.

The flaw in the program in regards to fruit and vegetables is not that their points formula comes out to 0 on those foods. If you plug the macros into the WW calculator, they would indeed have points. WW designated them as 0 points anyway, but the calorie content is figured into the overall program. So 26 points per day might only be 1000 calories, but if you add the 9 servings of fruits and vegetables that are 0 points, the calorie total increases to 1200-1400 or so.

The flaw in the program in regards to fruit is that the program guidelines say to eat fruit to satisfaction. Satisfaction means different things to different people and I'm sure that if I always stopped eating as soon as I was no longer hungry. I wouldn't need WW or MFP. There will always be people who try to get something for nothing and they'll just run with it. I would not be surprised if the next tweak to their program is to make the first 3 (or whatever) servings of fruit 0 points, and after that, it needs to be counted.

Why they wouldn't think anyone would overindulge in fruit is beyond me.

They had to cap the number of fiber grams that could be put into the formula because people were just adding enough fiber to ice cream to make it 0 points! And they don't think someone would eat too many 0 point fruits in a day?
  • naeswirl
    Options
    MFP food database have more food choices.... WW scanner sucks. How can it not read a label???
  • naeswirl
    Options
    IMO this new WW Points plan is to keep you on WW longer. These once forbidden foods are now welcomed with open arms with this new plan....... It's hard to teach this old dog a new trick.
    In my opinion, and I've said this before, the points plus system is flawed. Case in point. Grapes: 1 cup of grapes has roughly 60 calories. But. 1 cup of grapes is 0 points. 2 cups of grapes is 120 calories. 2 cups of grapes is also zero points. 4 cups of grapes is 240 calories..... and 0 points. 1 large banana is 120 calories.... and zero points! So you concievably sit there and eat a large banana and 4 cups of grapes, 360 calories, which is a typical full meal for me.... and not log a single point.

Anyone who doesn't see the problem with this is crazy.

Actually they tell you not to double or quadruple servings. So that is not true. WW works for a lot of people. MFP is free, that is why I do it.

Yes, they say not to double, triple, etc.

The flaw in the program in regards to fruit and vegetables is not that their points formula comes out to 0 on those foods. If you plug the macros into the WW calculator, they would indeed have points. WW designated them as 0 points anyway, but the calorie content is figured into the overall program. So 26 points per day might only be 1000 calories, but if you add the 9 servings of fruits and vegetables that are 0 points, the calorie total increases to 1200-1400 or so.

The flaw in the program in regards to fruit is that the program guidelines say to eat fruit to satisfaction. Satisfaction means different things to different people and I'm sure that if I always stopped eating as soon as I was no longer hungry. I wouldn't need WW or MFP. There will always be people who try to get something for nothing and they'll just run with it. I would not be surprised if the next tweak to their program is to make the first 3 (or whatever) servings of fruit 0 points, and after that, it needs to be counted.

Why they wouldn't think anyone would overindulge in fruit is beyond me.

They had to cap the number of fiber grams that could be put into the formula because people were just adding enough fiber to ice cream to make it 0 points! And they don't think someone would eat too many 0 point fruits in a day?
  • tbielaczyc
    Options
    I'm with you, the only thing I'm tweaking is as my weight goes down in the Points increments, I'm lowering my calorie goal to match. Are you keeping any of the WW tricks?
  • tbielaczyc
    Options
    One thing on WW that I like is it does force you to be aware to eat "x" amount of veggies/fruit and dairy.
  • feather314
    Options
    I've done WW three times and each time I gained the weight back. I do think their program works (to an extent). If you are totally new to the idea of changing your diet then yes they can teach you about portion control and making better choices. I don't think they really give you information about changing your lifestyle as a whole though. It's basically implied that you will be dependent upon WW for the rest of your life (lifetime, maintenance, etc).

I think the whole free foods idea is a bit of a disservice to the members. In theory it might work but people who tend to over eat are not going to grasp the "one serving" concept. They think oh it's free so I can eat 3 bananas or 2 cups of grapes. Even if they eat "free" foods all day long they are still consuming calories, carbs, sugars, etc.

MFP really opened my eyes to healthy eating and fitness. WW, while touches on exercise, doesn't really push it. I think activity is an integral part of healthy living. Not just for weight loss but also for body conditioning (cardiovascular system, muscle tone, etc).

I also think WW is very much over-priced. In my area its $43 per month for the pass, $20 per month online, and $12-$14 per week if you pay that way.

I find the MFP community more supportive, informative, etc. I always felt slightly uncomfortable at the meetings (maybe that was just me...). I think the food and exercise database at MFP is much larger and easier to use. And the best part? MFP is FREE!!!!
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    One thing on WW that I like is it does force you to be aware to eat "x" amount of veggies/fruit and dairy.

I agree. I do like the little check boxes for those on the WW tracker.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I had great success with WW. I made the switch to MFP rather recently and it is way better than WW.
  • amadacorazon
    amadacorazon Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    . I have previously been successful with WWs. But my focus has changed and having others take charge & do the 'work' in calculating my daily food intake without a 'real' nutritional focus, doesn't cut it for me anymore; MFP has been the best change I've made.
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My mom has been quite successful with weight watchers. She has lost over 30lbs and looks great. My sister used it, too, and did well, but has recently made the switch to this program. I was attracted to the "free" part as was my sister. Someone earlier said you get what you put into it. I would agree with that. People tend to lose more when there is a support system. Free or otherwise. So I vote for do what is right for you. Blessings.:flowerforyou:
  • tonibologne
    Options
    I agree its free and its about the same. My sister joined WW first and then I told her about this site and she told me it was pretty much the same other than she had to pay for WW. I think this is way more convenient and the amount of different foods on here is great. Plus, the addition of friends makes it even better and motivational for yourself and others.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I did WW 3 years ago and lost 35 lbs, but stopped due to cost. This time around I'm doing just MFP and I find I like MFP much better because I don't have to convert anything to points and then figure out if I have enough points, ect. All I have to worry about here is logging the food I eat and the exercise I do. Thats it. No muss, no fuss, no fees.

I realize some people work better when they have something they are paying for to hold themselves accountable, but thats just not a motivation for me. Don't get me wrong, I learned some tips and switches on there that I still use now, and having that past success with WW definitely helps me keep going on tough days. But in the end I just like the simplicity of this better. If I eat it or exercise it, I track it. Done and ready to go.
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I do both but that is because I like to go in to weigh in ( I feel it holds me accountable for my weight) but I LOVE MFP for what it offers that WW does not. I have lost 96 LBS with WW in the last 16 months. I think its a great plan but there are things I do not like with WW. My far MFP is better.
  • holliwood322
    holliwood322 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i find MFP much easier to track calories than looking thru the WW book for 15 min trying to find the ice cream from our local homegrown icecream store and then not being able to find it. plus, i can get online with MFP virtually anywhere and i don't have to carry around my bag of WW books, etc. usually everything i put in on the MFP site i am able to look up. and if i come up with my own recipe, i can add it bit by bit to figure out the calorie content.
  • Dianna00001
    Options
    Hi I was doing both also ...But find MFP much better as far as calories and easy web.site and I LOVE the support!But I like going to the meeting and haveing to weight in..... Good Luck and Have a Wonderful week-end......:glasses:
  • happilyeveractive
    happilyeveractive Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I did WW years ago and lost 65 lbs in a year. I gained about 15-20 back and started MFP. I have lots minimal weight. Right now I am doing both. I think MFP has a lot more resources, and discovered both really balance me out. I'll keep you posted in a few months on what I like better.