Pizza: not THAT unhealthy?

Options
Alright, not saying I am going to eat it everyday (I don't like it THAT much) but my roomie got pizza delivered tonight. I was pretty hungry, and even though it's late I decided if it wasn't TOO many calories, I'd have a slice (just going to burn it off tomorrow at the gym, anyway). So, I go on Panago.com to look up the nutritional information and was SHOCKED to read the nutritional information: 180 calories, 26g carbs andg protein. Not that much fat either. That is AMAZING.

I had a slice, and don't feel all that guilty. I had a SMALL slice just to make sure I didn't over-do it, but I am absolutely dumbfounded that it has so few calories! I always thought pizza was AT LEAST 400 calories per slice, depending on size. Once again, won't eat it often, trying to eat healthy food, but if I do eat pizza, I know not to feel so guilty :)

Replies

• Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Depends on the pizza. I can make a really healthy home made pizza. Just reduce cheese and use thin crust. Put lots of veggies on it and it is all good.

As for store pizza just use self control and eat a little bit it is all about ... can't think of the proper word, but it is all about how much you eat.
  • keni88
    keni88 Posts: 22
    Options
    i think the key is the cheap, store bought ones, or the dirty takeaway OTT ones, like stuff crusts with everything on it!
    As said above, you can make a really health pizza, wholemeal dough base, your own tomato paste not the store bought stuff with loads of sugar, reduced fat cheese and loads veg or chicken! (making myself hungry now!)
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    We make our own with goats cheese and it's quite healthy. Cooked a frozen one for my daughter the other day and was shocked to see it had 1200 calories!! It wasn't even very large!
  • raethepain
    raethepain Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is mostly with the the fact it's so moreish- it's easy to get through a whole pizza if you're not careful! But anything can be okay if it's in moderation!
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I think the issue with pizza is the tendency to over indulge.

I'm low carb now but previously used to buy mini pizza bases by Napolina, 6 inch ones. Each base is 220 kcal.
    Add some dolmio, 30g low fat cheese, peppers onions, sometimes a diced rasher of bacon. 15 mins in the oven and you're done.

Even with the bacon it hardly reached 450 kcals and was always enough to leave me satisfied.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    The issue is not many people eat just one slice and for the calories of 3 slices (I could eat more) I could have a much more filling meal.

If I have pizza now it's a Goodfellas Delizia roasted tomato and mozzarella pizza, 372 for a whole small pizza and I have a large salad with it. Take away pizza, here in the UK you can't order by slices (not sure if it's the same there), it's per pizza and I couldn't stop at 2 slices and even if I could it would be a terrible waste of money.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have my best runs and lifting sessions the day after pizza. Its my secret weapon. And I definitely don't have just one slice, usually I go with half a pie. I just make it fit in my calories. Mmm pineapple pizza......

Pizza=winning.
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I guess over-indulging in pizza has never been an issue for me since I don't like pizza that much.

@Littlemiss: it's not by the slice here either. That'd be odd haha.

I made a gluten-free pizza with my sister last month, with pesto, candied salmon and feta cheese. Don't usually eat fish but YUM.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Define what you mean by unhealthy?
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Yes it's healthy if the crust is whole wheat and topped with good quality cheese and veggies. For me home made pizza is always a win win.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Pizza is oversized, thats it, nothing wrong with the pizza itself no matter what is is topped with. its just 7 grilled cheese sandwiches in one sitting.
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    Options

As in, salty, fatty and high-calorie...lacking any nutrients? Haha
  • zachatta
    Options

As in, salty, fatty and high-calorie...lacking any nutrients? Haha

Fatty = ?
    High Calories = it has decent macros really, decent protein, of course it is higher cal per piece, but
    i find pizza filling.
    Salty = ? Maybe if you eat ridiculous amounts of salt every week for years I am sure there are negative side effects for doing that.

My point is that the term "un healthy" is subjective, You have labeled pizza as "un healthy" and I was asking why.

It really isn't that terrible for you, if you eat it in moderation.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options

something like 28% fat.
  • zachatta
    Options

something like 28% fat.

Why are fats terrible for you again?

Peanut butter has fats, is that bad too?
  • kendzini13
    kendzini13 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    it's all about moderation :D Unfortunately I am unable to restrain myself and have just one slice of pizza, particularly when I'm out with friends. I need a friend who wants to share a pizza with me so I don't eat the entire thing! And, homemade and reduce the cheese... I live for the cheese! Pizza is really one of my worst temptations...
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I do hope you're including sat fats in that statement when you say real fats. About as real as you can get.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Depends on the pizza. I can make a really healthy home made pizza. Just reduce cheese and use thin crust. Put lots of veggies on it and it is all good.

As for store pizza just use self control and eat a little bit it is all about ... can't think of the proper word, but it is all about how much you eat.

^^This^^ (Oh, and I think the word you're looking for is "moderation")
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Ah c'mon... the OP didn't claim pizza was bad. She said she THOUGHT it was. I did too. If someone had asked me to guess I would have never said pizza was 180 cals a slice unless it was a tiny one.

The OP is actually agreeing with what you say about pizza, she is just saying she was shocked to discover it, that's all. I thought pizza was something I had to avoid when trying to lose weight but will now investigate various brands or make my own since reading this.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Pizza is a trigger food for me... like lay's potato chips, I could never just eat one... slice .... and if there was leftover pizza in the fridge, it made a wonderful breakfast. Not so much as I tended to eat enough calories to supply myself with 3 weeks worth of sodium, fat and carbs.

I have to just walk away from the pizza.....