Pizza: not THAT unhealthy?

Options

Replies

• LifeChangingExp8512
    Options
    If we can only have ONE slice... ahhhh
  • LifeChangingExp8512
    Options
    As I've been making my own pizzas at home (spinning the dough and all!) I thought I'd "weigh in" here...

There are basically two elements of pizza that will affect your weight-loss efforts: the crust, and the cheese. LUCKILY low-fat mozzarella cheese has less calories-per-serving than cheddar, and parmesan cheese has even less. So if you just go a little light, you'll probably find it rather easy to stay within your ranges. As far as the crust goes, I started making mini-homemade pizzas for lunch with a lightly-toasted tortilla shell. It makes a phenomenal "thin-crust" pizza, topped with a serving-size of Del Grosso sauce, deli-pepperoni (less salt than the Hormel bagged kind) mushrooms, black olives, onions, mild pepper rings, some italian seasoning, and cheese. You can also fold them in half as it's toasting and make what we call a Pizza Quesadilla!

I've also added "Generic - Bread Flour" to the food database at MFP in case people want to make their own crusts. Pizza dough usually consists of bread flour (approx 3 cups), olive oil (approx 2 tbls), a dash of salt, yeast, and water. You also have to use a sugar of some kind to activate the yeast - I prefer Honey or Brown Sugar for their hygroscopic characteristic - the ability to absorb moisture from the atmosphere (keeps crusts soft and moist!) But a majority of the sugar is actually consumed by the yeast, so your overall impact to calories is minimal.

My pizza quesadilla - before vegetables - comes in at 395 calories. We all know that veggies don't have much caloric content, so add as many as you want! Plus, you can make one in 10 minutes, and that INCLUDES rummaging through the 'fridge for all your ingredients! :)

Enjoy!

hot carss!!
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    of course, everything in moderation. Plus if you aren't denying yourself you are less likely to over indulge. I make my own from scratch sometimes, I do my own dough - make a thin base, make a sauce with celery, carrots, onions and tomatoes and then fill it full of veg and some cheese, always amazing! I think some fresh store ones are okay, depending on the store but the frozen ones are terrible.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    lol

That is all.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Don't villainize certain types of food - that's a tactic people use to sell diet programs/books/make money.

All food can fit into a healthy eating plan.

My english muffin pizzas are full of win.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Don't villainize certain types of food ...

What about poutine?
  • milkyskinn
    milkyskinn Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Whenever we end up ordering pizza from Dominos I always get the nutrition list and calculate my toppings/etc. I usually order a thin crust pizza without cheese but with tons and TONS of veggies and make sure half of those are moist and flavorful (like spinach, pineapple etc.) and only stick to ham and chicken if I choose to have some meat on it. The entire medium sized pizza comes in around 6-800 calories for me then, if I want to eat the whole thing, I eat light during the day, but most of the time I share it with someone and only eat half :)

Pizza's bad if it's made overly greasy like the ones with 4 kinds of cheese (ew) and tons of pepperoni and sausage, etc. :) You could do a lot worse!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Don't villainize certain types of food - that's a tactic people use to sell diet programs/books/make money.

What about Satan burgers?
  • AngryDiet
    Options

Obviously my poutine example was Satan poutine. Which has Satan burgers in it.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Moderation = NOT ME So pizza for me is UNHEALTHY! It is my fitness kryptonite.

This is what a night of pizza looks like for me. Pizza Hut is my favorite. But I should include I have to have bread sticks too. mmm yum!

Pizza Hut (As Per Website) - Meat Lover's Stuffed Crust (Large), 3/8 pizza (1 slice)

Calories 1,500

Carbs 90

Fat 81

Protein 75

Sodium 5,100
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Couldn't you have a Satan burger with a side of fries w/poutine? That seems reasonable. I mean... villainous.
  • Marksman21
    Marksman21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    That's what your cheat day is for. :D

Moderation is key, and will limit what you can have ... but dangit, when I wanna pizza, I have a pizza. besides, save up those slices and you have lunch and dinner in a few portions too!

Admitedly, though, becareful on WHAT kinda pizza you get, like that meat lovers? Yeah, that's what I'd call a gutt bomb, but hey, once in a while wont hurt, enjoy yourself. Isn't that why we diet and exercise? So we can actually enjoy that thick slice of meat lover's pizza and not be worried about the consequences?
  • AngryDiet
    Options

Couldn't you have a Satan burger with a side of fries w/poutine? That seems reasonable. I mean... villainous.

There's a place around my work - part of the reason I needed a diet in the first place, that makes all kinds of poutine dishes. Poutine supercharged with various meats or, um vegetables I think they're called...
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    It depends on the pizza you eat. I try to stay away from pizza from places like Pizza Hut, though. I can never stop at just one piece. I know it's my weakness. So... I try to stick with homemade pizza. I actually haven't had any in a while.... since starting this journey.... but, I've been craving some good homemade pizza lately. I may just have to have that.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options

what about Deviled Eggs?
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Yes, your pizza was low in calories because of the way it was prepared. Not all pizza is created equal. Types made with whole grain crust, low fat cheese, and vegetable or lean meat toppings can actually be good for you.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I make my own with a very thin layer of cheese and very thin slices of strong flavored meat (proscutto) and lots of fresh basal.

I can eat one per month or two.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is one of those things that portion control and the tendancy to over indulge is what most of the "unhealthy" is about pizza. One or two slices fit into your day, no problem. Half a pizza, problem, lol!

I've been into making my own lately, I take the Trader Joe's herb pizza dough and make a thin crust, top with some reduced fat cheese, mushrooms and diced lean ham, so yummy and really not that bad for you at all. And I get to eat the entire mini pizza for something like 380 calories. Very filling, hits the pizza spot and I don't feel bad abotu having it afterward, yum!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Pizza Hut and the other chains that put together something that can loosely be called a "pizza" has tons of sodium to make up for the lack of flavor. That being said, pizza is something I eat at least once a week. I stick to two slices from a typical large combination style pizza and it fits nicely into my macros. Pizza gets a bad rap as junk food, but really if it's made well, it's can be a very filling meal that includes all the major food groups (grains, dairy, meat, veggies, fats).
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is one of those things that portion control and the tendancy to over indulge is what most of the "unhealthy" is about pizza. One or two slices fit into your day, no problem. Half a pizza, problem, lol!

I've been into making my own lately, I take the Trader Joe's herb pizza dough and make a thin crust, top with some reduced fat cheese, mushrooms and diced lean ham, so yummy and really not that bad for you at all. And I get to eat the entire mini pizza for something like 380 calories. Very filling, hits the pizza spot and I don't feel bad abotu having it afterward, yum!

I agree that this makes a great pizza. Pizza is one of those foods that you can make better by making it at home.