Pizza: not THAT unhealthy?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The best pizza I ever had was at a place in Estero, FL (near Ft. Meyers). It had goat cheese, onion and tomatoes roasted in olive oil and garlic, no sauce.

OMG.

I try to recreate it at home with some basil on a pita in the toaster oven. Still yummy, but not nearly as good as the real thing.

And there's a chain here called Marco's that offers a garlic butter "wash" for the crust (they have others, but why would you choose something else??) that's to diie for.

I want pizza.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Moderation = NOT ME So pizza for me is UNHEALTHY! It is my fitness kryptonite.

This is what a night of pizza looks like for me. Pizza Hut is my favorite. But I should include I have to have bread sticks too. mmm yum!

Pizza Hut (As Per Website) - Meat Lover's Stuffed Crust (Large), 3/8 pizza (1 slice)

Calories 1,500

Carbs 90

Fat 81

Protein 75

Sodium 5,100

Pizza Hut is not real pizza. Just eww! :sick:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    If we can only have ONE slice... ahhhh

If you can't get full off two slices then you are eating the WRONG pizza! :laugh:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Yes, your pizza was low in calories because of the way it was prepared. Not all pizza is created equal. Types made with whole grain crust, low fat cheese, and vegetable or lean meat toppings should not be eaten

Fixed
  • rml_16
    Options
    Yes, your pizza was low in calories because of the way it was prepared. Not all pizza is created equal. Types made with whole grain crust, low fat cheese, and vegetable or lean meat toppings should not be eaten

Fixed

:smile:

Why bother, right? If I'm going to eat pizza, I'm going to eat PIZZA.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Every once and a while we'll order from Dominoes. Medium 2 topping pizzas. 2 slices is dinner, then 2 slices for lunch the next 3 days. Maybe with some other veggie to round out the meal (or a yogurt at lunch).

Something like pepper & onion, or maybe black olive and pepperoni.

Back in the day it would be a large pizza with sausage, pepperoni and extra cheese. and it certainly wouldn't be just 2 slices.

Big difference.

Guess which was unhealthy?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Fixed

That's much better! Give me the sausage and extra cheese!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I don't like pizza :laugh:
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options

This is what a night of pizza looks like for me. Pizza Hut is my favorite. But I should include I have to have bread sticks too. mmm yum!

Pizza Hut (As Per Website) - Meat Lover's Stuffed Crust (Large), 3/8 pizza (1 slice)

Calories 1,500

Carbs 90

Fat 81

Protein 75

Sodium 5,100

Sure taste good to me.

But please define "real pizza" because here where I am from, all pizza is like Pizza Hut, just their's taste the best.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Everything is fine in moderation. Next topic, please.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

:laugh:

Are burgers bad for you? ( runs away and hides :laugh: )
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    So not to stoke the fire of a really pointless argument, but by that your saying that i cant make the general assumption (label) that doner kebabs, or burgers are unhealthy.
    yes there are going to be exceptions to this rule, as there are with pizza, and serving size is definately a big issue (exactly the point being made!) but by definition and origination, they are not designed as health food! they are indulgent fast foods and therefore UNHEALTHY

Burgers aren't "unhealthy" either and the guy you all keep attacking is absolutely right. A good grilled, lean meat burger is actually a good source of protein, relatively low in fat and calories and quite filling. A thickburger from Hardee's on the other hand isn't a solid choice. Just like pizza can be a great meal idea as long as you look at the ingredients you are using and don't load it down with a bunch of saturated fats and empty calories and can actually be a quite "healthy" choice.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options

:laugh:

Are burgers bad for you? ( runs away and hides :laugh: )

:tongue:
    Sometimes burgers are really salty and piled high with cheese...LOOK OUT! lol
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I'll eat an entire large pizza every now and then. I wouldn't give up pizza or anything else that I enjoy eating.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Every once and a while we'll order from Dominoes. Medium 2 topping pizzas. 2 slices is dinner, then 2 slices for lunch the next 3 days. Maybe with some other veggie to round out the meal (or a yogurt at lunch).

Back in the day it would be a large pizza with sausage, pepperoni and extra cheese. and it certainly wouldn't be just 2 slices.

Big difference.

Exactly! Though in our family, one large is dinner for all with no leftovers. :frown: We used to buy two larges, plus breadsticks. And once upon a time, I added about a gallon of beer to that calorie count! :laugh:
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options
    I'll eat an entire large pizza every now and then. I wouldn't give up pizza or anything else that I enjoy eating.

Amen! In fact-- I think I will have pizza today in honor of this post.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Calories 1,500

Carbs 90

Fat 81

Protein 75

Sodium 5,100

Sure taste good to me.

But please define "real pizza" because here where I am from, all pizza is like Pizza Hut, just their's taste the best.

Pizza Hut uses frozen ingredients instead of fresh ones, for starters. Since their sauce isn't simmered from fresh tomatoes, or hell even canned tomatoes, then you can hardly taste the seasonings, ergo, they dump extra salt into it. Their crust is ok, but again, they add too much oil and salt instead of seasonings like oregano and basil.

If you are ever in the Kansas City area, check out Minsky's pizza. They use all fresh ingredients and make their own sauce in the store. you will taste the difference if you can ever get your hands on good pizza. Or if you are in an area that doesn't have a good restaurant, try making your own with fresh ingredients.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I make my own from scratch dough and all. I know my pizza's are healthy.
  • rml_16
    Options

Calories 1,500

Carbs 90

Fat 81

Protein 75

Sodium 5,100

Sure taste good to me.

Pizza Hut uses frozen ingredients instead of fresh ones, for starters. Since their sauce isn't simmered from fresh tomatoes, or hell even canned tomatoes, then you can hardly taste the seasonings, ergo, they dump extra salt into it. Their crust is ok, but again, they add too much oil and salt instead of seasonings like oregano and basil.

If you are ever in the Kansas City area, check out Minsky's pizza. They use all fresh ingredients and make their own sauce in the store. you will taste the difference if you can ever get your hands on good pizza. Or if you are in an area that doesn't have a good restaurant, try making your own with fresh ingredients.

I actually used to like Pizza Hut pizza. It wasn't "the best," but I did like the taste. They changed their recipe in the last few years, though, and it's gross now. And the "improvements" Dominoes (which I never loved) made were not. I won't touch either of them, but I do like Papa Johns.

I haven't found a really, truly good local place where I live. There were a few great ones where I grew up and when I lived in Buffalo, but Tallahassee is lacking. There are a few FANTASTIC local pizza places scattered around Florida, but not here. :-(

There is one place that's supposed to be fantastic, but I keep forgetting to go there. But someone told me it's the same as another place, which I've been to and it was good, but not great.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

Big difference.

Exactly! Though in our family, one large is dinner for all with no leftovers. :frown: We used to buy two larges, plus breadsticks. And once upon a time, I added about a gallon of beer to that calorie count! :laugh:

The thing is my wierdo wife puts MUSHROOMS on her pizza and did you know THEY GROW THEM IN POO?

She doesn't like black olives so this way we can each have our own and 4 meals for 5.99 plus tax and delivery is super cheap. (EACH)