Is Diet Coke bad for the body?

Options

Replies

• stewarm01
    stewarm01 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Do they still put cocaine in diet coke? Oh, that was regular coke-nevermind.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Everything is bad for you.
  • vintagenursejennie
    Options
    My personal experience (not everyone's, just mine) is that I feel bloated when I drink diet soda, and I gain water weight. Partly because if I'm drinking diet soda, I forget to drink my water. I also feel that the carbonation disrupts my digestion of certain foods, and on top of all that, when I drink diet Coke (or Pepsi) I get a really sharp, shooting pain on the top, right side of my head. Only when I drink diet Coke or Pepsi, not other carbonated sodas. When I am off the stuff, the pain goes away. I have heard both sides, good and bad, for and against diet Coke/Pepsi. You might like it for the caffeine if you have a headache, but then you might not want to get addicted to it. I would say, listen to your body, track your own weight while on and off the drink, and see how it affects YOU. My personal opinion is that as a general rule, it's not great. But I still like my 20 oz. now and then! :)
  • marysue1965
    marysue1965 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Yes, i think so because it contains aspartame, which causes cancer, among othere perservatives, such as carmel coloring.
  • JEG2012
    JEG2012 Posts: 158
    Options
    Oh sweet jesus, yes!!! Soda diet or not is bad all the way around. It can hide fat deep in your bones, muscle mass and over time it can age your heart, kidneys and take a toll on your vascular system. I'm a a diet Pepsi person at heart but when I read what even 1 sode a day can do long term to your body, I limit a soda to maybe once a month a best. I also found when I quit diet sodae, I lost 5 pounds over a month without chaning anything except skipping the soda. My mom was a "Diet Rite" fan for a lot of years and I told her to try skipping the soda, she was amazed at how much lighter she felt.

That's my '2cents'....
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    No. Seriously, there are lots of people who think so, but they are wrong. Diet Coke is artificial sweetener, water, and carbon dioxide. Artificial sweeteners go through insane procedures to get approved. Scientists shove full of sweeteners at a a higher amount per body mass than you could ever achieve to try to give them health problems and fail. As for soda water, despite being mildly acidic and thus able to clean a penny, it is fine for you. Ask any old Jew in New York.
  • newmanmb463
    newmanmb463 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've heard that if you drink enough diet coke, it will eat away at the parts that attach your body parts to each other, then they will detach and start to float. Once that happens, the weight of those organs/parts will no longer register on the scale, and you will instantly lose large amounts of weight,
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I've heard that if you drink enough diet coke, it will eat away at the parts that attach your body parts to each other, then they will detach and start to float. Once that happens, the weight of those organs/parts will no longer register on the scale, and you will instantly lose large amounts of weight,

*standing ovation*
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It can hide fat deep in your bones,

I have no words
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it because I have thin enamel on my teeth and the dentist said that the citric acid in diet pop is really bad for it. Although citric acid is in plenty of fruits too but at least they are good for you!

I don't think it will slow down weight loss, as long as you don't crave sweet things with it. But my dentist recommends drinking through a straw to minimise the contact with your teeth.
  • wizbeth1218
    wizbeth1218 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have no scientific knowledge about whether or not Diet Coke (or any other diet soda) is bad for you or hinders weight loss.

On a strictly personal note, I know that I really need to stay hydrated. With water. Plain old regular water. And if I am replacing some of my water-intake with soda-intake, then I am not hydrating enough.

Also (and this I guess is quasi-scientific but I'm certainly not a trustworthy source), caffeine is actually DEhydrating. It has the opposite effect on the intestines since it draws water out of the body. So if you are drinking caffeinated sodas then you need to drink even more water to have the same net effect.

Just my $0.02.
  • witchy_wife
    Options

I've often thought of amputating body parts to see the scales move down :o)
  • Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Is Diet Coke bad for the body? Does it slow down weight loss?

No

It's fatal if you try to breathe it.

its also uncomfortable if you try to snort it.

Removing it from the can first reduces discomfort
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Yes, i think so because it contains aspartame, which causes cancer, among othere perservatives, such as carmel coloring.

One side effect of aspartame, is it makes people believe everything they read on the internet, restate it as fact, and not feel compelled to check any actual scientific data.

The most bizarre part of this side effect... they don't even have to ingest it.
  • witchy_wife
    Options
    Oh sweet jesus, yes!!! Soda diet or not is bad all the way around. It can hide fat deep in your bones, muscle mass and over time it can age your heart, kidneys and take a toll on your vascular system. I'm a a diet Pepsi person at heart but when I read what even 1 sode a day can do long term to your body, I limit a soda to maybe once a month a best. I also found when I quit diet sodae, I lost 5 pounds over a month without chaning anything except skipping the soda. My mom was a "Diet Rite" fan for a lot of years and I told her to try skipping the soda, she was amazed at how much lighter she felt.

That's my '2cents'....

Hide deep fat in your bones???
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Yes

How bad? Not very

As bad as sugar coke? I don't think so.

Worth it? sometimes
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

That's my '2cents'....

Wow.... just wow....

I'll admit, this is the first time I've ever heard of 'fat deep in your bones'
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It can hide fat deep in your bones,

I have no words

:noway:

I thought I only had to worry about Party Rock Anthem getting in my bones. :sad:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Also (and this I guess is quasi-scientific but I'm certainly not a trustworthy source), caffeine is actually DEhydrating. It has the opposite effect on the intestines since it draws water out of the body. So if you are drinking caffeinated sodas then you need to drink even more water to have the same net effect.

Just my $0.02.

I drink a gallon of soda a day and absolutely NO water. I weigh 240lbs, and my body is 80% water.
    1 gallon of soda is roughly 8lbs.
    My body roughly has 192lbs of water.

In how many days will I be mummified?
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Is diet coke bad - probably.

Is diet coke good (healthy) - no.

But in the big scheme of things (I have never done drugs, smoke maybe 5 times a year, drink roughly once or twice a month, eat veggies), I choose to keep drinking it.