Is Diet Coke bad for the body?

Options

Replies

• MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Does it have any man made chemicals in it? Did it come from the ground or used to be alive? Then ya its probably bad for you. Am I purist no...I love Chemicals.

Everyone needs to pound a package of Oreos every once in a while right?

but ya unnatural stuff not good for you. Its kind of easy really....The word unnatural? Ya its UN NATURAL
    And you typed this while drinking your whey protein shake...

Stop.

Pay attention Charles Atlas... I said I'm not a purist at all I'm just answering the question: is it bad for you; Yes... STOP
    How is it bad for you? The class is listening. INB4 pseudo conspiracy theories on how artificial sweeteners are ruining the world.

I dont think anythign is ruining the world. Im just saying; ingestign things into your body that aren't natural IS not GOOD for you. The opposite good is bad. This inst rocket science.

Please all knowing and powerful OZ tell us what value added benefit we get from ingesting chemicals contained in the likes of Diet Soda.

What Good benefit do our bodies derive from this list below?
    Aspartame

Aspartame is an artificial sweetener found in most diet soda. Aspartame is suspected to cause cancer and it has also been linked to Alzheimer's disease. Some have the PKU gene and they cannot process phenylalanine (an amino acid found in Aspartame). If people with the PKU gene consume phenylalanine, they will suffer neurological damage and possibly death. Phenylalanine is an essential amino acid found in many dairy products. In its natural form, phenylalanine combines with other amino acids. In isolation, phenylalanine could have adverse health effects.

2. Phosphoric Acid

Phosphoric acid is an ingredient in diet soda (and in many regular sodas) which produces a tangy flavor. Phosphoric acid can deplete the body of the calcium it needs to promote strong bones and healthy teeth. Chronic consumption of the phosphoric acid found in diet soda can be particularly detrimental for people under 30, because their bones have not reached maturity. Excess amounts of phosphoric acid have also been linked to kidney disease and the formation of kidney stones.

3. Caffeine (synthesized)

Caffeine is not bad, as far as nutrition goes. The problem with the caffeine found in diet soda is that is it artificial, whereas in coffee and tea, the caffeine is naturally occurring. Synthetic caffeine is metabolized differently in your body than it would be if it were combined with the nutrients of coffee or tea, creating a synergistic effect. Additionally, many people consume diet soda to satisfy their thirst; this is actually counterproductive. Caffeine is a diuretic and it can dehydrate you when consumed in large quantities. Many people who consume diet soda drink it continuously throughout the day. One 12 ounce can of diet soda can contain anywhere from 50 to 80mg of caffeine.

4. Acesulfame Potassium

Acesulfame potassium is another artificial sweetener used instead of aspartame. Individuals who consume acesulfame potassium often believe they're being healthier because they're not consuming phenylalanine (the amino acid found in aspartame). The reality is that the long term health effects of artificial sweeteners are unknown. Studies have shown that acesulfame potassium can cause tumors and brain damage even when not consumed excessively. Acesulfame potassium can also cause hypoglycemia.

5. Potassium Benzoate

The nutrition of diet soda contains the ingredient potassium benzoate. Potassium benzoate is a preservative added to diet soda to protect the flavor while it sits on the shelves. Potassium benzoate can form the known carcinogen benzene when combined with vitamin C and sodium. Many diet sodas are fortified with vitamin C and almost all contain sodium.

The general consensus is that the nutrition in diet soda is not any better (and is probably worse) than the nutrition found in regular soda. For the best nutrition, one should eliminate regular and diet soda from their diet. Instead, sip on 100 percent fruit juice or water.
  • SocialRopes
    SocialRopes Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i don't care if it's bad for the body -- it's good for the soul.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    It can hide fat deep in your bones,

I have no words
    I have 2 words; bone marrow
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Oh sweet jesus, yes!!! Soda diet or not is bad all the way around. It can hide fat deep in your bones, muscle mass and over time it can age your heart, kidneys and take a toll on your vascular system. I'm a a diet Pepsi person at heart but when I read what even 1 sode a day can do long term to your body, I limit a soda to maybe once a month a best. I also found when I quit diet sodae, I lost 5 pounds over a month without chaning anything except skipping the soda. My mom was a "Diet Rite" fan for a lot of years and I told her to try skipping the soda, she was amazed at how much lighter she felt.

That's my '2cents'....

Hide deep fat in your bones???

WHAT THA!!!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Oh sweet jesus, yes!!! Soda diet or not is bad all the way around. It can hide fat deep in your bones, muscle mass and over time it can age your heart, kidneys and take a toll on your vascular system. I'm a a diet Pepsi person at heart but when I read what even 1 sode a day can do long term to your body, I limit a soda to maybe once a month a best. I also found when I quit diet sodae, I lost 5 pounds over a month without chaning anything except skipping the soda. My mom was a "Diet Rite" fan for a lot of years and I told her to try skipping the soda, she was amazed at how much lighter she felt.

That's my '2cents'....

hahahahahaha. Love it. well done. You win the prize....

That is claptrap, with a thin veneer of Woo Woo backed up by a n=1 study in non clinical conditions. Your Nobel prize is in the post.
  • antizoni1
    antizoni1 Posts: 334
    Options
    Yes it is, Do not drink soda period
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm Confused. You see, I have a machine called a Sodastream.

It's so that the home consumer can take tap water, and put pressurised CO2 into it. This makes it fizzy, or 'soda'.

Will my fizzy water give me cancer/rot my bones/cease my weight loss/dehydrate me?

What about if I add flavour? Like a slice of lemon? If I put sugar in it, is that when it becomes toxic?

What about diluting fruit juice with it? Is that OK?

What about that magic vitamin flavouring that everyone is on about adding to water to make it easier to hit 8 cups, does CO2 act as a catalyst in chemical reaction that makes my beverage toxic?
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    it's only bad because the artificial sweeteners are nothing BUT chemicals and they can do long-term damage. I actually have allergies to Splenda, Sweet N' Low, and Equal. The only one that works for me is Truvia but that's because it's naturally made from a plant and it tastes fantastic. So for me, I'd rather have regular sugar or Truvia.

I don't drink diet soda at all. I prefer flavored sparkling water. :)
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

its also uncomfortable if you try to snort it.
    you're awesome
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    This is an exert from an 8 year study on people consuming both regular and diet pop by Dr Fowler in which there were higher levels of weight gain associated with diet pop. "People think they can just fool the body. But maybe the body isn't fooled," she says. "If you are not giving your body those calories you promised it, maybe your body will retaliate by wanting more calories. Some soft drink studies do suggest that diet drinks stimulate appetite."

This is one studied artifical sugar in mice: In the mouse study, researchers fed aspartame, a calorie-free sweetener used in some diet sodas, to diabetes-prone mice. One group of mice ate chow to which both aspartame and corn oil were added; another other group ate chow with only corn oil added.

After three months, the mice that ate aspartame showed elevated blood sugar levels.

"These results suggest that heavy aspartame exposure might potentially directly contribute to increased blood glucose levels, and thus contribute to the associations observed between diet soda consumption and the risk of diabetes in humans," said study researcher Gabriel Fernandes, professor of rheumatology and clinical immunology at the university.

I am insulin resistant so I stay clear of all pop and the research seems to agree. If you however have no health concerns then the choice is up to you and if you are already watching and logging your food intake you probably know best if diet pop fits into your plan.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Yes, i think so because it contains aspartame, which causes cancer, among othere perservatives, such as carmel coloring.

One side effect of aspartame, is it makes people believe everything they read on the internet, restate it as fact, and not feel compelled to check any actual scientific data.

The most bizarre part of this side effect... they don't even have to ingest it.

Brill.

I'd still like to know how it hides fat deep in your bones.
    That's a new one...
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Where is Skitty when you need her!
  • davlaur
    davlaur Posts: 34
    Options
    the gas stretches your stomach. wish i knew this years ago!!!
  • DargoMack
    DargoMack Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've also been drinking it for years and I'm still alive. I love it. Seriously, it is and always has been my favorite drink in the whole world.

I look at this way - water is better for me, but it's something I really like, so I have one a day. That's my limit. The only time I make an exception is if I'm out partying and I don't feel like drinking or I'm the driver.

I choose my vices. The aspartame can't be good for me, but I also think it will be one chemical or another that kills me or gives me a disease, so it might as well be one I really enjoy.
  • xoyasminxo
    Options
    YES it is horrible for you. Water is better for weight loss.
  • msneal02
    Options
    Absolutely yes Diet Coke is bad for you. It contains Aspartame. Google the side effects of Aspartame and you will come up with a list of 90+ side effects. Diet Coke looks good because it has zero calories but it contains a lot of sweetener and Aspartame.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Yes, i think so because it contains aspartame, which causes cancer, among othere perservatives, such as carmel coloring.

One side effect of aspartame, is it makes people believe everything they read on the internet, restate it as fact, and not feel compelled to check any actual scientific data.

The most bizarre part of this side effect... they don't even have to ingest it.

Brill.

I'd still like to know how it hides fat deep in your bones.
    That's a new one...
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    "...I look at you with an expression of exhaustion and ever so slight amusement."
    tumblr_kz68qwkIBF1qzc176o1_r2_500.jpg
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    as with all things, it depends on if you are consuming 1 an hour or 1 a week. it's not natural, it's made up of chemicals, so i would say the fewer the better.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    This is an exert from an 8 year study on people consuming both regular and diet pop by Dr Fowler in which there were higher levels of weight gain associated with diet pop. "People think they can just fool the body. But maybe the body isn't fooled," she says. "If you are not giving your body those calories you promised it, maybe your body will retaliate by wanting more calories. Some soft drink studies do suggest that diet drinks stimulate appetite."

This is one studied artifical sugar in mice: In the mouse study, researchers fed aspartame, a calorie-free sweetener used in some diet sodas, to diabetes-prone mice. One group of mice ate chow to which both aspartame and corn oil were added; another other group ate chow with only corn oil added.

After three months, the mice that ate aspartame showed elevated blood sugar levels.

"These results suggest that heavy aspartame exposure might potentially directly contribute to increased blood glucose levels, and thus contribute to the associations observed between diet soda consumption and the risk of diabetes in humans," said study researcher Gabriel Fernandes, professor of rheumatology and clinical immunology at the university.

I am insulin resistant so I stay clear of all pop and the research seems to agree. If you however have no health concerns then the choice is up to you and if you are already watching and logging your food intake you probably know best if diet pop fits into your plan.

piratesarecool4.gif