First Round P90X-ers

Options

Replies

• carpediem13
    carpediem13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started! I came back from my week away where I ate horribly in comparison to how I have been eating for the past 3 months. Lol I ate better through the entire holidays than I did this past week. But P90X came while I was gone and I did the fitness test this morning...went to work came home and did Core Synergistics. There were def parts that I thought were difficult but over all I thought it was doable. I'm just afraid of some of the others and what people have said like Yoga and Kenpo. My favorite part of the whole video was when Tony says, "Banana-Superman-Banana-Superman" with almost no pauses in between...I was all over the place!

Anyway I'm excited everyone on here seems to be doing well and I look forward to what comes in the future!
    Goodluck and keep up the good work!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Hi! Hope it's not too late to join this thread - I just started Monday and I'm also doing the Lean. I was about to die doing core synergistics - bow to boat and those darn banana rolls... and my durned gut is the bane of my existence doing Dreya Rolls. I was okay with CardioX, but waking up this morning - oh, my hammies and inner thighs beg me for mercy everytime I sit :sad: (especially on a hard surface!) - I know, suck it up, right?
    I didn't bother with doing the fitness test - I have a PT that comes once a week and he said I could do this program.
    I'm also supplementing these workouts with 25-30 minutes cardio on my elliptical. Last night my legs were screaming NO! So I took a break. Hopefully today Shoulders, Arms and Ab Ripper, I'll be able to get some cardio in... just please - no more squats, lunges or warrior 1 poses!!:sick:
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I started! I came back from my week away where I ate horribly in comparison to how I have been eating for the past 3 months. Lol I ate better through the entire holidays than I did this past week. But P90X came while I was gone and I did the fitness test this morning...went to work came home and did Core Synergistics. There were def parts that I thought were difficult but over all I thought it was doable. I'm just afraid of some of the others and what people have said like Yoga and Kenpo. My favorite part of the whole video was when Tony says, "Banana-Superman-Banana-Superman" with almost no pauses in between...I was all over the place!

Anyway I'm excited everyone on here seems to be doing well and I look forward to what comes in the future!
    Goodluck and keep up the good work!

I :heart: Superman-Banana!!!
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hello...Posting to keep the thread...Doing P90X after ChaLean Extreme....

Thanks!:heart:
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Hello...Posting to keep the thread...Doing P90X after ChaLean Extreme....

Thanks!:heart:

What is ChaLean Extreme like?
  • Corbeya
    Corbeya Posts: 10
    Options
    Really wanted to skip and stay in bed this morning...but we have decided to take a trip to Mexico in 2 months and I really wanna look good in that bikini!!! So I got my *kitten* outta bed and did Arms and Shoulders! BURN BURN BURN!!! Abs tonight! Eating clean and healthy all day! Get in my water! GO GO GO! How is everyone else doing this week?
    Corbey
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    I just finished Shoulders, Arms - which wasn't too bad. Yeah, definitely a burn...
    but then I followed up with ARX - INSANE! I could barely keep up, no where near doing the same reps as "the kids", but I did it at my pace. I can't wait until I get stronger and I can do the whole thing!
  • Corbeya
    Corbeya Posts: 10
    Options
    Pam, I LOVE your signature at the end of your posts....."demonseed daughters" LOL gave me a chuckle!
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Arms and shoulders and ARX for me today too. I'm with you mojo, ARX kills me. I am 5 months out of pregnancy and have zero muscle tone in my stomach.

I saw this was asked on the other thread about how to log calories for these workouts. I did buy a HRM, and it is garbage. I spent about $45. I just don't have the $$ to spend more. I know everybody works out at different intensities, and has diff burn, but what are you guys seeing on the average, or how are you entering your workouts? Strength training only shows 269 cals in an hour for me, and I would like to think I am burning at least a little more than that!
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    Aww - Thx Corbe! They are the little sparkle in my eye - you know the one you get before you murder someone?!!:glasses:

Tattoed - I'm not 5 months out of pregnancy - and kudos to you for doing this program 5 months out! But I had 2 c-sec's and the second one I had a lot of difficulty in healing - I still have pain. When I did my physical, I placed pretty high on that test and my flexibility and strength test. OMG - though! those leg climbs at the end?! Who in the right mind can do those!
    I have been wearing my HRM - Day 1 Core, yielded 610 cal, Day 2 CardioX 530 cal and today, for both Shoulders, Arms ARX 587. I'm sure it would have been higher if I could do half the ARX workout.
  • carpediem13
    Options
    In regards to the heart rate monitors and weight lifting there was an interesting post in another thread. Unfortunately I don't know what thread it is but I think I know who said it and might be able to find it. Anyway this guy seems to know what he's talking about and he mentioned that HRM's don't work while weight lifting because of aerobic vs anaerobic activity. I'm not really able to explain it all but he said that the HRM won't be able to measure it. Which doesn't mean that you didn't do a ton of work because weight lifting expends a ton of calories and will continue to do so even hours later which is why it is so great. As for how to log...that parts tricky and you might just have to go by MFP's calculations and play around with it. I've heard a lot of people say that they do some cardio to supplement the weight lifting days. Tomorrow is my first day lifting with P90X so we'll see how that goes.
  • Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this thread b/c i plan on beginning P90X on Monday and would love the support. I've hit my goal weight but would like to tone and was told P90X would be a great way to do this. Based on the little bit that I've read of the book (plan to finish reading up before next wk) it looks like the classic version may be my best bet to accomplish my goal (toning/definition), what do others think?
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    Morgan - I saw that post by ADZAK too. I was thinking about that while I was working out, but when I saw my heart rate up at times near 84%, If figured this has to count toward something. I also read a post from Banks who said doing cardio and weights on the same day may negate each other too... Some weird cutting edge, but still unproven science behind it.
    Good luck tomorrow!

I meant to ask WWYD? (what you would do) - I'm going on holiday with my family for a week (to disney). Should I bring P90X and continue my workouts, or miss a week? If I miss a week, do I come back to week 1? I know I'll be getting long days of walking miles and miles through the parks, but that won't be the same as the intense training I am used to now.
  • tattoodfreek
    Options
    Pam, thank you for your post! (LOL at the murder comment btw). I knew that I read in the nutrition guide that it should be about 600 cals, but since I am fairly early in the program I didn't think I was working at that high of an intensity yet! But I am glad to hear you are getting such great results! That is fantastic- and makes me hope I am doing just as well!

Carpe that is an interesting thought. I would be interested in reading that if you do happen to find it!

Boy oh boy that's a tough call on the Disney. If it was ME (and I am not the best one to ask or I wouldn't be having to lose all this weight myself!) but I would probably not take it along. With all of the walking you will be doing, I would hate to see you exhaust yourself with trying to do the workouts too and then not enjoy your vacation, or not have the energy to do things with your demonseeds. When I came back, I would pick up where I left off (muscles have great memory and a week's not going to put you back to square one I wouldn't think). Then, if at the end of phase 1 you didn't feel like you were ready to proceed, extend it by a week. I would just be careful to watch your nutrition and don't let yourself fall totally off the wagon.
  • carpediem13
    Options
    Yay day 3! Haha that seems so funny in the big picture. So today I did Arms and Shoulders which went well...I think I need a few more dumbbells with some weight variety. Probably 8's, 12's and 15's. So I was pretty tired after the workout and was going to wait awhile before I put in Ab Ripper and as I was sitting on the chair recuperating Tony showed up again lol! I tried to do my best and was failing miserably and then when I had just about said enough my computer battery died and Tony was gone!!! HAHA! I did continue later and then my dog started getting sick...I did finish it though!

Overall I didn't feel like the arms and shoulders gave me a full workout so I pulled out the training guide and jotted down a few of the exercises from cardio. I ended up doing a small warm up and stretch followed by Wacky Jumping jacks, Steam Engine and Airborne Heisman. I did two rounds of a min each and by then I knew I was done!

Feels great and I can't wait to keep going! So many people told me this was going to be soooooo hard and I'd want to die. I feel completely opposite! Let them see what happens in 90 Days!

Lot's of exclamation points because they are so true. Hope everyone else is doing well and enjoying it like I am!
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    Morgan - ARX WAS INSANE!! That last one - the leg climber? who in their right mind?!! I was pretty surprised how easy it was to do Shoulders/Arms too - I got on my elliptical for 30 minutes just for a little extra burn.

I failed to do YOGAX yesterday - I had my personal trainer come yesterday and we had a pretty intense workout. The plan was to do Yoga at night, but I've been a single parent all week (husband is traveling on business) and by the time I got the girls in bed, I was ready too.
    So, YogaX today and if I'm not too wiped, legs, back and ARX. If I'm done (which I've heard Yoga is one of the toughest) - maybe just cardio for 30 minutes.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Yay day 3! Haha that seems so funny in the big picture. So today I did Arms and Shoulders which went well...I think I need a few more dumbbells with some weight variety. Probably 8's, 12's and 15's. So I was pretty tired after the workout and was going to wait awhile before I put in Ab Ripper and as I was sitting on the chair recuperating Tony showed up again lol! I tried to do my best and was failing miserably and then when I had just about said enough my computer battery died and Tony was gone!!! HAHA! I did continue later and then my dog started getting sick...I did finish it though!

Overall I didn't feel like the arms and shoulders gave me a full workout so I pulled out the training guide and jotted down a few of the exercises from cardio. I ended up doing a small warm up and stretch followed by Wacky Jumping jacks, Steam Engine and Airborne Heisman. I did two rounds of a min each and by then I knew I was done!

Feels great and I can't wait to keep going! So many people told me this was going to be soooooo hard and I'd want to die. I feel completely opposite! Let them see what happens in 90 Days!

Lot's of exclamation points because they are so true. Hope everyone else is doing well and enjoying it like I am!

I know what you mean! I am so surprised that I'm not dying! I'm on week 3 now and I can tell a huge improvement from week one on each workout. Yesterday I had a few too many cals at lunch so I decided to do my scheduled CardioX then popped in Kenpo. It was great! I read through the book again because I was considering switching to Classic (from Lean) after Phase 1. Looking at that, there seems to be more I would struggle with (like a million and a half different kinds of pushups). I think I'll stick to Lean for the full 90 days and then do a round of Classic.

I remember reading BiloxiBelle's post that she didnt start to see major changes until Day 47. While I was reading the book, it actually says that Phase 2 is when you will start to see your body changing. That is great motivation to just keep going!

Keep up the great work, everyone!! :heart:
  • Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning the P90X series on Monday and I already know I can't do any pull ups and don't even have a pull up bar and wanted to know if anyone has suggestions on how I could possibly modify the chest and back dvd since I don't have a pull up bar? Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I'm beginning the P90X series on Monday and I already know I can't do any pull ups and don't even have a pull up bar and wanted to know if anyone has suggestions on how I could possibly modify the chest and back dvd since I don't have a pull up bar? Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

I can't do a pullup either. I can't do more than 1 real pushup. The point is eventually you will be able to. I tried getting out of the pullups before I started too. But, from what I understand there's no alternative. I bought my pullup bar from Walmart for $20. It's a Gold's Gym thing that just sets on your door frame. Really easy to use. I have to run to another room to use it, but that's okay! I know there is something you can do with the door frame and bands, but the bar is less complicated. HTH
  • tattoodfreek
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

I did the yoga yesterday, and yeah, the first 45 minutes was killer, and the second 45 minutes was no problem. Getting through the vinyasas (sp?) was killer. I am in serious need of greater upper body strength. But, I guess that will come in time the more I do it.

I too feel like you guys, that I was expecting to be dying, and I just am not. I have had one or two days with a little stiffness, but overall I just feel pumped and ready to go. I am worried that means I am not pushing myself hard enough during the workouts. It's certainly not because I am in stellar shape!

I am in agreement that the arms and shoulder workout was not challenging enough with the weights I have. I too will be picking up heavier ones.

I don't find the leg climbers to be that difficult, but the first few exercises in ARX just kill me! Maybe I am doing the leg climbers wrong? LOL

Choco, I started with the classic my first week, but switched to lean on the advice of another member. So, my first workout was chest and back. Well OMG, that was by far the hardest workout for me. I am terrible at pushups (again, that poor upper body strength). What I did for the pull ups was to use the band. To start I laid on my back with my legs up in the air and hooked the band over my feet. (Be careful the band doesn't slip off and whack you in the face!!) Then I decided I thought my form was too far off, so I hooked the band around my bannister and got on my knees. The one side is exposed, so this allowed me to get the band up high enough. If you don't have something like that, you may need to get more creative.