Scared to Get Pregnant...

Options
123457»

Replies

• Terryism
    Terryism Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Just dont eat for 2 literally. In the first trimester, you dont need extra calories, unless you are throwing up a lot. In the 2nd and 3rd trimester all you needs is an extra 300-500 a day. Pregnancy is not a free licence to eat everything in sight. Start taking a prenatal when you start trying to conceive to make sure your maternal reserves are up.

Women who breastfeed lose more weight on average than those who dont. Again, Its only about 500-600 cal a day that it burns, so keep that in mind. Its not a miracle worker, and statistics mean everything to the group and nothing to the individual.

Exercise during pregnancy. What ever you do before you get pregnant you can keep on doing after, so long as its not an extreme sport that can cause major injury. You set the precedent before getting pregnant. Exercise during pregnant will also prepare your cardiovascular system for the marathon that is labor.

Watch what you eat, indulge on occasion because your hormones like that, and it is possible to get back in shape. Your body however, will never be the same whether you lose the weight or not. Stretch marks, and swollen boobs, etc. take their toll.

I agree with this completely. I lost a little weight at the beginning of my pregnancy because I started eating healthier for the baby, plus no alcohol. I gave birth at 6 months (he's fine!) so I only gained 10# total.
  • Gela1979
    Options
    This is a really long thread with a lot of posts and I read some, but I really wanted to weigh in (pardon the pun). I had my first baby at age 31, second at age 33. First I gained 40lbs, second one I gained 25 lbs. The big, big difference was what I ate. I ate ice cream and drank chocolate milk frequently during my first pregnancy. I don't know which came first, that she was big so I was hungrier, or I ate more so she was bigger. Second kid was 2lbs smaller than the first and I really watched what I ate. I had my indiscretions, but I made up my mind I was only going to gain 25 and that's what I did.

When I got preggo with #2 I was back in shape and probably lighter than when I got pregnant in the first place. Now 7 months postpartum after #2 I'm 5lbs shy of my goal "weight", but this time I'm toting a helluva lot of muscle, so the scale isn't too good an indicator.

I've focused on eating clean and exercising. The weight is hard to get off, but I think a lot of it is water. Seems like every time I have my period I drop one more pound, but only then. I retained a lot of water when I was breastfeeding, too.

The extra cals you need while pregnant are the equivalent of a bowl of cereal with milk, it's not that much. I walked a lot with the first, too.

No, you won't look exactly the same, but you can still look hot and be toting a baby, they're not mutually exclusive.
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I understand your fear, but weight gain can be controlled. I've had 2 children and had COMPLETELY different pregnancies.
    With my first, I was 40 lbs overweight to start (180 at 5'5") and gained 50 lbs. I nursed exclusively and was still 200lbs when my son turned 9 mos... so I joined MFP and lost 65lbs.
    With my second, I was at my ideal weight, logging my calories and working out consistently. My pregnancy was much better in that I had more energy which I contribute 100% to the working out. I only gained 30lbs.
    Unfortunately I have not dropped much weight since (my daughter is now 4 months old) but I haven't been eating well and my workouts are minimal. So I know once I start back into my routine, I'll get back to my pre-preggo weight.
    I do not have the "bounce back gene" but I managed to do it... so anyone can.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    No, don't get pregnant right now. Wait until you are no longer so selfish that you are worried only about the weight gain rather than how you will be a great parent and raise a healthy, happy, functional human being. Having children is a huge commitment and your life, and body, will be changed forever. Weight gain during pregnancy is NECESSARY for a healthy baby. Health is the focus, and if you keep that in mind you won't gain 100 pounds. (Yup, I gained 70 during my pregancy, which was 20 pounds more than I should have... oh well.)

Sorry to be rude but as a mother, your comments just rubbed me very much the wrong way.

Call it selfish all you want, but my own doctor said she'd probably never give me the ok to have a baby because I used to be morbidly obese (and am still very obese). She is *very* concerned about me ever gaining the weight back. It's not about appearance. It's about health.