iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3

Options

Replies

• tmbowen12
    tmbowen12 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    ah i should have been here earlier. I could have saved you all the reading - you will have 4 basic groups of people:

Android users - hate apple. they are what's wrong with the world. the iphone is so restriced you can barely make a phone call. oh, and did you know the iphone BREAKS, too? It is ijunk and idumb, and isheep are the only people who buy them. They feel liberated that they have an android phone which gives them so much freedom that their phone can produce rainbows on command and it looks better, too on the mammoth screen they have. plus, did you know that every single spec is better than iphone?

iPhone users - haters gonna hate, yo. they've never used an android, but they are positive that they suck. who would want that big of a screen? iphone just works! android ones you have to do stuff. and they don't like doing stuff. they like stuff done for them. if the iphone doesn't have it, then they don't need it. And there are videos on the youtube machine that clearly show that all the fancy Samsung specs don't make a faster phone. you should be different.... like everyone else

switchers - had and iphone went to android and loved it. had an android and went to iphone and loved it.

realists - it doesn't matter which one you get. they are both fine pieces of technology that will probably accommodate 99% of what you want to do with your phone. chances are you will love either one and not regret the decision. look at other technological devices you have and what you have used before. do you have a preference? if not, find 5 things that you want to do with a phone, and see if those things are accomplished better by either. (i fall into the last category)

This is awesome!!!! My family is divided. My husband and Daughter have the android phones, I have the iPhone 4S and my son has the iPhone 4 and my other daughter stands by her Blackberry. Different strokes for different folks. Just because someone has one over the other doesn't make that person stupid.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Samsung G4 comes out in February, so you might wish to hold off a bit if possible.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/17/tech/mobile/samsung-galaxy-s-4/index.html
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    for those talking about the relative cost of the phones...

In the UK the S3 is significantly cheaper on contract and a bit cheaper to buy "SIM free". But the greater residual value of iPhones (and most would expect this trrend to continue with the 5) means that if you are willing to sell the old handset at the end of your contract, the iPhone is likely to be cheaper.
  • tmbowen12
    Options
    Do you really NEED to pay all those hard earned, expensive $$$ to pack a mini computer in your pocket. Think about it. First, do the MATH. A 70.00 per month "everything plan" is actually going to hit your bank account for about $130.00 every month. Next, consider how much you also may be paying for cable TV service and internet every month. If you have those two options, you are adding about $130-160.00/month to your budget. That doesn't include car payments, car insurance & operating costs, gas/oil/serving, rent, food, medication, transportation to/from work, entertainment, clothing expenses (cleaning, etc) due to your job. I dumped cable tV a couple of months ago, hit the auto-channel programming button on the remote & still get tons of channels because I kept the internet only service. Dumped the two year cell phone contract and now pay a FLAT $50.00/everything prepaid contract phone cost. I just buy a refill card every month. I never see that long list of extra taxes and fees that are tacked onto a contract phone. Got a Roku 2 little box & connected it to the tv ~~~~ Voila! I get tons of choices for all kinds of free videos, movies, internet radio, Pandora music, etc.

Be kinder to yourself, do you really need to have all the latest technology? You're addicted if you do and it's costing you a bundle. It makes you a slave to expensive technology toys.

Um... yeah... Sorry you are poor. :laugh:

that was harsh don't ya think???
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. This has been a battle for me as well. I have an iTouch right now that holds all my music and where my C2 5K app is on, and had been thinking about consolodating to just an iPhone. Hubby has been telling me the Galaxy was the way to go, but of course I had to argue lol
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Do you really NEED to pay all those hard earned, expensive $$$ to pack a mini computer in your pocket. Think about it. First, do the MATH. A 70.00 per month "everything plan" is actually going to hit your bank account for about $130.00 every month. Next, consider how much you also may be paying for cable TV service and internet every month. If you have those two options, you are adding about $130-160.00/month to your budget. That doesn't include car payments, car insurance & operating costs, gas/oil/serving, rent, food, medication, transportation to/from work, entertainment, clothing expenses (cleaning, etc) due to your job. I dumped cable tV a couple of months ago, hit the auto-channel programming button on the remote & still get tons of channels because I kept the internet only service. Dumped the two year cell phone contract and now pay a FLAT $50.00/everything prepaid contract phone cost. I just buy a refill card every month. I never see that long list of extra taxes and fees that are tacked onto a contract phone. Got a Roku 2 little box & connected it to the tv ~~~~ Voila! I get tons of choices for all kinds of free videos, movies, internet radio, Pandora music, etc.

Be kinder to yourself, do you really need to have all the latest technology? You're addicted if you do and it's costing you a bundle. It makes you a slave to expensive technology toys.

Not really. :tongue:
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    ah i should have been here earlier. I could have saved you all the reading - you will have 4 basic groups of people:

Android users - hate apple. they are what's wrong with the world. the iphone is so restriced you can barely make a phone call. oh, and did you know the iphone BREAKS, too? It is ijunk and idumb, and isheep are the only people who buy them. They feel liberated that they have an android phone which gives them so much freedom that their phone can produce rainbows on command and it looks better, too on the mammoth screen they have. plus, did you know that every single spec is better than iphone?

iPhone users - haters gonna hate, yo. they've never used an android, but they are positive that they suck. who would want that big of a screen? iphone just works! android ones you have to do stuff. and they don't like doing stuff. they like stuff done for them. if the iphone doesn't have it, then they don't need it. And there are videos on the youtube machine that clearly show that all the fancy Samsung specs don't make a faster phone. you should be different.... like everyone else

switchers - had and iphone went to android and loved it. had an android and went to iphone and loved it.

realists - it doesn't matter which one you get. they are both fine pieces of technology that will probably accommodate 99% of what you want to do with your phone. chances are you will love either one and not regret the decision. look at other technological devices you have and what you have used before. do you have a preference? if not, find 5 things that you want to do with a phone, and see if those things are accomplished better by either. (i fall into the last category)

This! Good, god, the Apple vs Android debates are ridiculous. GS III and iPhone 5 are both really good phones. Go to your provider and play with both. Choose the one *you* like best.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I had an Android phone for about 4 years (HTC Hero then HTV EVO Shift) absolutely loved them both. Both my kids have iPhone 4s & they love them. Hubby has HTC EVO & loves it. Hubbybwas due for an upgrade & deciding between iPhone5 & S3. He likes the large phones but isn't a big fan of Samsung. He checked them both out & thought the S3 felt ''plasticy'' so he got the Iphone5.

After playing with it for an hour he gave it to me. ''Too small'' now he is hoping some more ''big'' phones come out over the holidays & he will use what should have been my upgrade ro get a new phone in February.

I love the iPhone5 about as much as I loved my Android phones. Guess I am a ''realist'' on that list someone else posted. I like that I csn now ''facetime'' (video chat) with my mom who lives far away & has an iPad. I like having my iTunes music when I run (had an old touch & family has itunes acct). The screen is amazingly crisp & clear. Mine has great battery life. About 15 hours with moderate use. My Evo Shift battery drained very quickly & I usually had to plug it in during the day & charge it @ night as well. When I went to bed last night I had 49% battery on my iPhone 13 hours later it is down to 15%. Obviously I wasn't using it while sleeping but this morning ibhave been texting & was running iTunes & Runkeeper for about 50min on my walk.

I suggest holding them both & playing with them both to see which you like best. I have small hands & don't like big phones.

Don't get the iPhone just to have on, don't get the S3 just because everyone else says to. It's your phone & you have to live with it for a couole of years. Pick the one that feels best in your hands & meets your everyday needs. Either choice is a good phone. Enjoybyour new toy.
  • tmbowen12
    Options

you really are a sad individual.
  • randomtai
    Options

I could say the same about you.
  • tmbowen12
    Options

I'm not the one who is sitting here making fun of someone who wants to save money!! YOU ARE!! and that my dear makes you a sad individual.
  • randomtai
    Options

I'm not the one who is sitting here making fun of someone who wants to save money!! YOU ARE!! and that my dear makes you a sad individual.

ae752189_why-you-mad-tho.jpeg
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I think they're both fun! I have the Iphone, so I'm bias, but I work with someone who has the Galaxy and it looks pretty darn awesome!!! I love my phone, though!
  • AmyP619
    Options

Why do you care what others spend on their phone plans? Lol What if there are people on here who make 100,000$$ a year and can afford a $130 cell phone bill per month? This has absolutely nothing to do with the original question posted and point of this thread. They're simply asking WHICH phone is better...not if they should go out and buy with because they're strapped for cash. lol I paid $0.96 for my Iphone with a 2 year contract, which I was due to renew anyway, and my husband and I share a plan so our monthly bill is quite affordable. If it didn't fit in the budget then no, I wouldn't own smartphones. I like to think I'm fairly good with money. Thanks for your concern, though!!
  • AmyP619
    Options
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options

I can't afford the phone, I spent money on a pair of $150.00 shoes.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Can't decide which one to get - anyone care to help me? :happy:

The voice recognition is amazing. If you ask your phone "where is the closest X" it will tell you. You can text someone /call someone with out touching your phone.
    Want to know if your plame is on time? It will tell you. With out you asking. Before you leave for the airport.
    If you use your google calendar, it will remind you, and give you approx. Travel time with current traffic.

It takes great photos. I don't like touch screens, that's my only feature i don't like
    Also, you can take a picture of yourself and if it "sees" you, ift unlocks it's self for you.

As far as "steep learning curve" the guys at Tmobile are happy to help. (i highly suggest Tmobile with the plans they offer) if *I * can use it? I'm sure most everyone else can. I'm very resistant to new technology, also just get a case :)
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    By the way, The IPAD kicks *kitten*! Period. Yes, I know it has limitations, but I do not care. I do hate Itunes though.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

This is awesome!!!! My family is divided. My husband and Daughter have the android phones, I have the iPhone 4S and my son has the iPhone 4 and my other daughter stands by her Blackberry. Different strokes for different folks. Just because someone has one over the other doesn't make that person stupid.

There is one very important group missing. The technologically challenged clueless people, many who are resistant to diving in.
    Many are visual learners/tutorial learners. Sooo. Which is easiest to learn is your best bet. Keep an open mind.
    Many people here think the I-phone is easiest, i find this the opposite. The majority of the most technology advanced people i knowall have a galaxy. (which is a lot) not because they're anti-apple, simply because the galaxy is more advanced. The battery for the galaxy lasts longer, too. Oh how I dreaded that competition!
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options

I can't afford the phone, I spent money on a pair of $150.00 shoes.

we can't cause we love shopping! buying expensive kitchen stuff (big williams sonoma fans) and buying clothing (nice clothing) and i have a shoe and purse obsession, my hubs is car stuff and video game stuff.

ppl are not "poor" just because they don't want to put money into a phone. and if they are, it sure shows great character to pick at them. karma my dear, we must watch out for it. god likes to smack-a-hoe.