iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3

Options
12346»

Replies

• gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    The iPhone changed my life so that's what I'm voting for. Maybe in a few years it might have some really tough competition I just don't think it has any yet.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

we can't cause we love shopping! buying expensive kitchen stuff (big williams sonoma fans) and buying clothing (nice clothing) and i have a shoe and purse obsession, my hubs is car stuff and video game stuff.

ppl are not "poor" just because they don't want to put money into a phone. and if they are, it sure shows great character to pick at them. karma my dear, we must watch out for it. god likes to smack-a-hoe.

And your character is somehow better because it is shoes instead of phones? Um yeah ok.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    GS3
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    As a gadget guy myself, the most important pieces that are overlooked are:
    1) How will be my go-to person for help with the phone. If its itunes craping its pants or an android app crash.
    2) What do my friends use?

We're already seeing things with the S3 that allow "tap" features, i.e. tap two of the same phones together to send a file. Increasingly it will be more important to be on the same platform as your friends, as whilst applications that are cross platform are out there, functionality & experience can vary greatly between their versions.

Now for some biased advice - wait for the new Nokia running Windows Phone 8. You won't be disappointed.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already invested in Apple products (i.e. stuff from iTunes), then go with the S3.
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Can't decide which one to get - anyone care to help me? :happy:

The voice recognition is amazing. If you ask your phone "where is the closest X" it will tell you. You can text someone /call someone with out touching your phone.
    Want to know if your plame is on time? It will tell you. With out you asking. Before you leave for the airport.
    If you use your google calendar, it will remind you, and give you approx. Travel time with current traffic.

It takes great photos. I don't like touch screens, that's my only feature i don't like
    Also, you can take a picture of yourself and if it "sees" you, ift unlocks it's self for you.

Which phone are you talking bout here? The S3 or iPhone5? Wasn't sure......

As far as "steep learning curve" the guys at Tmobile are happy to help. (i highly suggest Tmobile with the plans they offer) if *I * can use it? I'm sure most everyone else can. I'm very resistant to new technology, also just get a case :)
  • spozzybear
    Options

The voice recognition is amazing. If you ask your phone "where is the closest X" it will tell you. You can text someone /call someone with out touching your phone.
    Want to know if your plame is on time? It will tell you. With out you asking. Before you leave for the airport.
    If you use your google calendar, it will remind you, and give you approx. Travel time with current traffic.

It takes great photos. I don't like touch screens, that's my only feature i don't like
    Also, you can take a picture of yourself and if it "sees" you, ift unlocks it's self for you.

As far as "steep learning curve" the guys at Tmobile are happy to help. (i highly suggest Tmobile with the plans they offer) if *I * can use it? I'm sure most everyone else can. I'm very resistant to new technology, also just get a case :)
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

i'm sure i had posted that...
    I was referring to the galaxy s3.
  • spozzybear
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your awesome advice - will be going off to get my new phone tomorrow! :love:
  • ceyuh
    ceyuh Posts: 34
    Options
    I love my S3
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    My experience with phones...

iPhone 3GS & Samsung GS2

iPhone 3GS lasted me 2 1/2 years. NEVER crashed. NEVER had problems with anything. EVER.

Samsung GS2. I have problems all the time. Viruses text me. Could be a Tmobile problem. Also when I call out it seems to "crash" and then call out about 30 seconds later. Texting is a huge pain in the rear. Pandora and other music players have issues with skipping since I've gotten the phone. Gmail problems with Gchat... always disconnecting for some dumb reason even on WiFi.

It has a great screen, great colors, solid iOs as far as performance goes.

These are my complaints about the GS2. I'm not sure if they fixed it all with the newest version. It is a great phone don't get me wrong! I just have to say overall I've had a better experience with Apple's iPhone then this phone. Its sad because I like the look of the 3GS more then I like the iPhone. Especially since the iPhone is so tiny. It performs better in my opinion though so I'm half tempted to move back over even though I don't want to. This is after my 2 year contract.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I plan on getting the S3 as soon as my upgrade discount is available.

I love the Android interface, but my phone is almost dead. Two of my friends have ditched their iPhone 4's for the S3 in the last month, and they love it.
  • acuratlsd
    acuratlsd Posts: 228
    Options
    Can you back up your S3 to an online source like with the iPhone (the Cloud)?

If you download Titanium Backup and get the Pro Version. It is awesome.

You can do million things with it. The main thing with is especially if the phone is rooted.

Back up the whole phone to the SD card. Or you can just back up the Programs and Data in case you want to replace the OS with another version.

Another thing you can do is backup your phone and then have it upload to drop box.

That program will run circles around iPHones cloud.
  • becs_91
    becs_91 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Looks like I'm in the minority here (and I think your mind is made up) - but either way, I've had both Android phones and now an iPhone 4S, and the iPhone wins for me hands down. It has lasted SO much longer without slowing down one bit. I've had several problems with my previous Android phones not aging well, even with constantly deleting just about all the data. iPhone has run perfectly smoothly for me.
  • becs_91
    becs_91 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Looks like I'm in the minority here (and I think your mind is made up) - but either way, I've had both Android phones and now an iPhone 4S, and the iPhone wins for me hands down. It has lasted SO much longer without slowing down one bit. I've had several problems with my previous Android phones not aging well, even with constantly deleting just about all the data. iPhone has run perfectly smoothly for me.

Oh, and battery life! My Android phones used to run out soooo fast. By a year in I'd be charging it several times a day. Never had a problem getting through the day with very heavy iPhone use.
  • acuratlsd
    acuratlsd Posts: 228
    Options
    People are right. The phone is very "locked down" compared to the android system. With the android system you can customize it to the extreme. If you wanted to customize the iphone like you do the android just coming out of the box, you have to jailbreak it.

Another thing wrong with the iphone is that it depends on the itunes program to get anything done. The android does not. You can use linux, or the windows explorer and use drag and drop to do your bidding.

With the iPhone you are stuck with one version of the OS. The best thing about this is that it is hard for hackers to infiltrate this because there are hardly any bugs in this system because it hasn't change since the bicentennials. so apple had time to tweak it to its best. The android system is always updating and upgrading their features and just like anything else, there could be flaws but because it is an open source system, it can be fixed in a matter of days.

Another thing you can do with the android is change the Operating System to use Customizable ones that are build by other people. The best thing about this is that it is tweaked! this and that is taken out, this is fixed, or this might be moved over here... you know when people make these custom roms, they have it in the best interest of the users. There are many to choose from, and you are not just stuck with the same boring one from apple.

With rooted roms, you can take out the bloatware you get from your carriers as well. Thats a good thing.... irritating to have that stuck in your phone.

the lady above me is right, sometimes android phones can use more juice.. but if you know how to kill apps and tweak the phone, it can last you just as long as the iphone.

I am always on the phone but i am always near a power source so i just have it plugged in when i am not using it. Hasn't been an inconvenience to me yet.